Heritage Owners Club

#3 Pickup Output, help!

AltDominae

Hi, all, I'm brand new to the forum and I just received a mid 90s Sweet 16 today. After getting it strung up and prepped I plugged it into an old Princeton NR and got almost nothing, in fact if I didn't have a delay on I wouldn't have known there was any output at all if it weren't for the low level echoes. Being a former Washburn guy I have some repair abilities and I measured the pickup at the pot at 4.45k ohms, which strikes me as very low. I've also touched up the solder connections at the pot.  While I've poked around here a bit and seen some comments about the #3 being intentionally low output I haven't seen anyone cite its resistance. Does anyone know? This was a Reverb purchase and I'm going to have to contact the seller about it if this is out of the ordinary, which seems to be the case but it would be a huge help if anyone knows the specs. Thanks!

Something is wrong.  You should be able to get enough volume out of it to squeal with feedback.  Yes, it is a low output pickup, meaning the mids are scooped a little.  But it's a very decent pickup.

There may be a short in the coils.  The resistance should be higher.

Archived