Heritage Owners Club

Do Gibson Parts - Pickguards / Poker Chips, etc fit an H150?

miragejake

Likely a dumb question, but I'm not sure...I've got a Goldtop H150 coming in soon that I want to put a pickguard and poker chip on.  I don't like the Heritage guard honestly...the H150 I've got coming has no holes / never had a pickguard.

So my assumption is that the Les Paul guard will fit...but I'll have to drill holes?

Any help?  

You most likely will have to make new holes for the guard. You could contact MojoAxe as he makes “G” style guards that will fit Heritage. Poker chip will go right on of course.

I have put Les Paul pickguards, poker chips and truss rod covers on multiple Heritage H150s and Millenniums, without drilling new holes.  The only one that was a real issue was a double cut Millennium -- the pickups don't have the same spacing as a Les Paul, and the body isn't as wide.

Having said that, I did this with older Heritages, not a new one.  But I also did it with one that had that Heritage H150 pickguard (which is a bit different shape than a Les Paul pickguard, but the Les Paul pickguard still fit). 

If your guitar has no holes at all, you will of course have to drill one for the top of the pickguard near the neck, and on the side to mount the metal bracket.  Mount the pickguard to the bracket first, so you can see where the holes on the side of the guitar need to go.

There have also been times I ordered a Les Paul pickguard without holes, just to be safe, and drilled the holes myself.  And I also discovered that the location of the screw holes in the truss rod cover vary from one H150 to the next . . .

So, in general, I don't think you will need to drill new holes, if it has them already, and you can probably put new holes in the "standard" location, if it currently has none.  I like to use wooden parts on my guitars, and there are people that sell them on ebay, with and without holes.  You can get plastic ones too -- there are a wide variety of designs.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

My H-150 had a Gibson style poker chip on it when I bought it.  I wanted to remove it, but the person who installed it scratched the top when they did the job.  The poker chip covers the damage (and looks good, anyway), so it'll stay on the guitar.

The poker chip fit fine, but the nut of the switch is not the kind that extends into the hole for the switch so the hole in the poker chip is a tiny bit oversized, but you can't tell  once it's installed.

• 1 month later...

Have went through a few aftermarket Les Paul pickguards which I had to return for my aged CC H150 which either didn't fit or didn’t look right.  I ended up ordering one from MojoAxe. He has templates made for CC 150. I am not sure about standard H150, but he will work with you. 

I don't understand the need for the  "poker chip".    My H140 has one,  but I have never paid attention to it.   None of my other guitars (Heritage, Guild, Dearmond) has a poker chip.   The only other guitar that had markings on the controls, other than T and V, was the Kent Videocaster that I got when I was 12 or 13.   With 4 pickups and and the controls, it was useful the first few times you used it.

About the only one that I have seen that was worth having was the "More Paul / Less Paul" that Brent had on a guitar. 

7 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

I don't understand the need for the  "poker chip".    My H140 has one,  but I have never paid attention to it.   

About the only one that I have seen that was worth having was the "More Paul / Less Paul" that Brent had on a guitar. 

How are we suppose to tell how to select the bass or treble pickup? Not to mention the middle position where I guess zero pickups are elected

Archived