Heritage Owners Club

The Latest H-480 Saga

DavesNotHere

Some of the old timers may remember the story of me acquiring my H-480, the seller caused quite the kerfuffle on the HOC, but that is a remembrance for another time.

Around four years ago I was sitting on the swing in the back yard just after dusk, sipping an adult beverage and strumming on my six string. It started going flat and I started tuning it up. It was dark and I couldn't see very well. It kept going  flat and I kept tuning it up. Well, I eventually heard a sickening "CRACK". Always slow on the uptake, I finally realized something was "bad wrong".  The bottom of the bridge started to lift but the top part didn't and the bridge cracked. DOH!

I took it to a couple of local techs and, to their credit, they indicated it was out of their wheelhouse and declined to do the repair.. I then went to a local luthier, Danny Davis of Tangled Strings Studio, who a few years earlier put multiple cleats in the top to stop the cracks that were forming. His business was taking off and he said it would be probably six months before he could even check it out.  Well, it got put in the back of the closet and kind of forgotten.  A job change and a new house and life n general kept it in the "to do" file.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I pulled it out of the case and decided, I could fix this thing. I ordered a new bridge and a clamp and waited.

So, I took off the old bridge, which was really ugly underneath, and did a dry fit with the new one and realized the original was pretty much a one off bridge and it would take a significant finishing effort and drilling new holes to get a new bridge to fit. I guess the guys who declined knew what they would be getting into with this repair.

I decided to glue the crack in the original bridge and once it was cured, I glued back on the top.

It's been two weeks and all seems well.

Here's a few photos.

In happier times. This was when I was picking up my H-357 (in the case on the floor).

QEfVqZ1.jpg

MAk47Iw.jpg

Before

jDnJrLg.jpg

Nice work!!

I would consider touching up/ sealing the top where the finish is missing, too?

Strange they never had pickguards installed. Those clear thin ones Larrivee uses are nice

Congratulations!

Ready to Rock. Nice job Dave

I'm glad you brought that rare bird back to life!

The H-357 is still looking mighty fine. I remember that build.

16 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Nice job!  The process to remove and reglue the bridge intrigues me.  My, now 21 year old Ibanez Performer needs its bridge removed and reglued. 

Did you make the clamp?

Any work on the bridge plate?

The process was quite easy. I used a 100 watt light bulb to soften the the remaining glue. After an hour or so the bridge came off with no effort. I have no idea what the gouging on the top is all about.

Since the bridge I bought turned out not to be a drop in replacement, I glued the crack in the old bridge, clamped it, let it sit for 24 hours and sanded all the old glue off both pieces. I bought the  bridge clamp on Amazon. It was around $30 if I remember correctly.

I  used Titebond II, and clamped the bridge for 24 hours and strung it up, and I'm back in business.

Dear Dave-who is otherwise located,  That's some mighty-fine work!  I had the same thing happen recently and haven't decided if I could have at it.  Your short tutorial is just what the Dr. ordered!  Congrats to you and thanks for the nudge I needed!

On 3/12/2022 at 7:42 PM, DavesNotHere said:

Some of the old timers may remember the story of me acquiring my H-480, the seller caused quite the kerfuffle on the HOC, but that is a remembrance for another time.

I remember, the guy joined the HOC trying to sell this guitar.  Then he bitched about selling it.  He was never heard of after that. 

Archived