Heritage Owners Club

Tube Prices

ElChoad

I can't believe the prices and availability of tubes. I bought a set last night for my Orange AD30. It was almost $300 for 4 NOS long plate 12AX7s, 4 old school 6p-14ps, and a red base 5AR4. Supplies are dwindling, and prices are jumping. I should be good for a couple decades now, but damn.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I now have 2 complete sets of backups for both of my amps I have. Most of the major online retailers have no supply. I went to eBay. I hope the ones from Romania makes it here safely.

About the only new tubes that will be coming out will be the JJ tubes from Slovakia.  JJ has been fully booked since the Shuguang factory in China was shut down over 2 years ago when the Chinese government wanted to repurpose the area from industrial to residences.   They had projected being relocated and back online by 2021.   Obviously that didn't happen.   I haven't seen any updates about resumed production in quite a while.

The Reflector/New Sensor factory in Russia will be subject to issues until the whole Ukrainian situation is resolved.    Only time will tell whether they will continue to be able to make shipments and do money transfers, given the current restriction on Russian banks. 

I don't really worry much about tubes.  They last a lot longer than some people think.   I've seen comments that tubes should be changed every 6 months.... poppycock!   Unless you're running the thing constantly at full blast, they shouldn't be worn out that quickly.   It's probably been 5 years since my Patriot was retubed, and that was because of an issue with some resistors.   The tubes in my Marshall DSL and Peavey Classic 30 are at least 7 or 8 years old.   The tubes in my Princeton clone were in there when I bought it, which was well over 5 years ago.

The factory in Russia makes most of the innards for the other Eastern Europe facilities.  If they go under, that'll be all she wrote.

First, the bad news from 3/12:  https://www.gearnews.com/mike-matthews-owner-of-electro-harmonix-says-no-more-russian-vacuum-tubes-in-2022/

Yesterday, a statement appeared online, allegedly from Mike Matthews, the owner of Electro Harmonix, which states:

Yesterday, Russia imposed a ban on the export of some 200 goods in response to the sanctions imposed on it over the current conflict in Ukraine. We have confirmed that the ban applies to our seven brands of Russian tubes. Currently, the ban is set to remain in effect until the end of the calendar year.

Given this export ban, we will not be receiving any further tube inventory for these brands. A myriad of pressures — including continued strains on the supply chain, escalating internal expenses, mounting inflation, and an ever-evolving legal landscape (particularly in light of the Ukraine conflict) — have created a very fluid and ambiguous environment. Until we can properly assess the impact of these factors, we will not honor any new orders or ship any more Russian tubes on back order.

Rock & Roll,
Mike Matthews
Founder & President

Then the better news - 3/16: https://www.gearnews.com/the-electro-harmonix-russian-vacuum-tubes-issue-may-be-resolved-but-at-what-cost/

Electro-Harmonix Russian Vacuum Tubes

Below is the official statement from Electro-Harmonix:

The situation preventing the importing of Russian vacuum tubes has been resolved for now. As a result, we are accepting new orders, processing backorders, and hoping to resume shipping in April 2022. 

Considering the various economic pressures mentioned in our last announcement, we will be forced to raise our wholesale prices on these tubes. This price increase, which will be announced separately, will apply to all new orders and backorders. 

Also, there will likely be a further price increase imposed on shipments received after the U.S. government, following Canada’s lead (of imposing 35% tariffs), implements its own heightened tariffs. 

You can cancel any backorder if you wish, but we do not recommend this, as there is a tremendous shortage of tubes. 

12 hours ago, Steiner said:

— have created a very fluid and ambiguous environment. Until we can properly assess the impact of these factors, 

Not funny but I get a kick out of how the English language is used in the current era.  Can think of many other ways to explain what is going on, can you?

Imagine if news papers in 1860 used these terms to describe the election of Abe Lincoln.  

There is real suffering in the world and if this and the cost of oil is the price we are paying, we should be thankful.  Consider electric autos and solid state amps alternatives vs no food, no water, bombs, tanks, death and destruction. We are pretty lucky!

1 hour ago, Spectrum13 said:

There is real suffering in the world and if this and the cost of oil is the price we are paying, we should be thankful.  Consider electric autos and solid state amps alternatives vs no food, no water, bombs, tanks, death and destruction. We are pretty lucky!

This.  Perspective.  Thanks, Dan! 

15 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

About the only new tubes that will be coming out will be the JJ tubes from Slovakia.  JJ has been fully booked since the Shuguang factory in China was shut down over 2 years ago when the Chinese government wanted to repurpose the area from industrial to residences.   They had projected being relocated and back online by 2021.   Obviously that didn't happen.   I haven't seen any updates about resumed production in quite a while.

The Reflector/New Sensor factory in Russia will be subject to issues until the whole Ukrainian situation is resolved.    Only time will tell whether they will continue to be able to make shipments and do money transfers, given the current restriction on Russian banks. 

I don't really worry much about tubes.  They last a lot longer than some people think.   I've seen comments that tubes should be changed every 6 months.... poppycock!   Unless you're running the thing constantly at full blast, they shouldn't be worn out that quickly.   It's probably been 5 years since my Patriot was retubed, and that was because of an issue with some resistors.   The tubes in my Marshall DSL and Peavey Classic 30 are at least 7 or 8 years old.   The tubes in my Princeton clone were in there when I bought it, which was well over 5 years ago.

Tubes can last 30 years plus.  The Sylvanias in my Ampeg were working perfectly right up to when I sold it.  

2 hours ago, Spectrum13 said:

Not funny but I get a kick out of how the English language is used in the current era.  Can think of many other ways to explain what is going on, can you?

Imagine if news papers in 1860 used these terms to describe the election of Abe Lincoln.  

Didn’t take English class Dan?

I have plenty of SS backup amplification if necessary.  I think some of the tube nuts on here, Mavguy, KPB810 and Steiner should start up a USA tube facility.  The know how is right here.  I’ll be the CFO.  

50 minutes ago, yoslate said:

This.  Perspective.  Thanks, Dan! 

And he never even took an English class!

3 hours ago, Spectrum13 said:

Consider electric autos and solid state amps alternatives...

Neither one of these is an acceptable alternative. ?

Even though I am a tube freak, I am grateful for my line 6 Helix rack. I never use the amp models(although some of them are quite amazing) and only use the FX. However, if I run into tubes issues I have an acceptable backup.

I tried ordering a couple of matched sets of JJ 6V6 tubes from Sweetwater.  They took my order but said they are currently out of stock, but would let me know when they are received.  All of my other tube suppliers pretty much said the same thing. 

My solid state backup rigs are a a couple of Roland Cubes (60 and 80 watts) and a monster sounding 250 watt DV Mark 'Raw Dawg'.

1 hour ago, Gitfiddler said:

I tried ordering a couple of matched sets of JJ 6V6 tubes from Sweetwater.  They took my order but said they are currently out of stock, but would let me know when they are received.  All of my other tube suppliers pretty much said the same thing. 

My solid state backup rigs are a a couple of Roland Cubes (60 and 80 watts) and a monster sounding 250 watt DV Mark 'Raw Dawg'.

There are a ton of them on eBay. I just looked. 

Luckily I have enough spare tubes to last me a couple of years so I am not concerned. My real concern is toilet paper.......we had all better stock up. Remember what happened a couple of years ago?

I didn't realize that Russia was a major supplier to Charmin!

16 hours ago, rwinking said:

Luckily I have enough spare tubes to last me a couple of years so I am not concerned. My real concern is toilet paper.......we had all better stock up. Remember what happened a couple of years ago?

If you buy off eBay, there is a seller there that is awesome. He goes by Valves-tubes. He even added in the printed test results for the long plate 12AX7s with the D getters. He is out of Elkhorn, Wisconsin. I purchased Tuesday and got them today. 

24 minutes ago, PunkKitty said:

Western Electric might get into the tube market again. I didn't even know they were still around as a company.
https://www.westernelectric.com/expand?fbclid=IwAR27lrBmfOoyASlzGWTaSCCO7h5ygGiRhHmeW7RXa0KJQdxLbyW6fJxXruo

They are already in the market, just not manufacturing the tubes musicians need. Hopefully that will change. I love supporting American companies.

On 3/17/2022 at 4:39 PM, Gitfiddler said:

I am a big fan of Roland Cube series. The 60 & 80 watt were their best. I use mine as practice amps. That being said I have more tube amps the solid state.

Tubes are like gasoline.  You'll find you need them at the strangest times.  I buy extras for every amp here.  I purchased a Bogner XTC that came with a peculiar brand so I got another quad; last time I looked (last year) they were selling for $1000/quad.  The price of tubes is going nowhere but up.  Buy early, buy often.

In all the years I have been using tube amps, I have only HAD to change tubes in one. I had an Egnater Tweaker 40 that had a preamp go out. I have put NOS tubes in my AD30 and my Black Magick Reverb. I have the originals, plus an extra set of tubes for each. But much like medical insurance, I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. 

Archived