Heritage Owners Club

Tube Prices

ElChoad

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

At times like this, be thankful that you're not a Cordovox player.  Can you imagine the cost to retube one of these tone generator units, not to mention the amp itself. 

Cordovox Tube Amp & Tone Generator w / 2x12 Jensen's! image 3

OUCH! ?

Fortunately a cordovox player would never play enough gigs to wear out all of those tubes.

5 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

At times like this, be thankful that you're not a Cordovox player.  Can you imagine the cost to retube one of these tone generator units, not to mention the amp itself. 

I've seen a few of these in pawn shops. No thank you.

I am still waiting for my reward points from MF for my CC. They have a tube amp that has my name all over it, but I want that extra $240 off of it. I don't care about the price of tubes, I want the amp!

On 3/17/2022 at 12:12 PM, DetroitBlues said:

Looking forward to my Electric Silverado and rocking out with my Quilter Cub Cadet.

I just saw a commercial for the new electric Silverado. Um, yeah. You can have it. I bought my daughter a Power Wheels when she was younger, but it was a pink Jeep. ?

The Shuguang factory is not the only factory in China.   PSVane also makes tubes, although they don't seem to be widely distributed.   They seem to be more oriented to making tubes for high end audio amps like the 300, KT88, etc, although they make 12A_7 preamp tubes, along with EL34 types.  They seem to be pretty pricey if you can find them.

I read that TAD has been working with a "small manufacturer in China" to start making tubes like the 6L6,  GZ34,  12AX7 and 12AU7.    Not sure when they will be available, but you can bet all the amp manufacturers will be grabbing all they can to keep production rolling.

On 3/19/2022 at 6:03 PM, ElChoad said:

I just saw a commercial for the new electric Silverado. Um, yeah. You can have it. I bought my daughter a Power Wheels when she was younger, but it was a pink Jeep. ?

Obviously it's not for everyone... Not like I'm going to trade in my 535 for a Firebird X.  But then again, there are those who are so stuck on expired technology, they refuse to give up their rotary phone...

44 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

Obviously it's not for everyone... Not like I'm going to trade in my 535 for a Firebird X.  But then again, there are those who are so stuck on expired technology, they refuse to give up their rotary phone...

Or repro 1950's LP, 335, L5 or tube amps

I can't see why anybody would want to go away from tube amps for these new "modeling" amps. I have never heard of a company claiming their tube amp sounds "just like a Line 6 Spider". ? If you want to sound like a tube amp, there is an easy way to do it: put tubes in the damn thing...

On 3/21/2022 at 11:57 AM, DetroitBlues said:

The tubes, if vintage and serviceable, may be worth a look.

They have a few 12AX7s but the tone bank tubes are 6X8s and 6FH8s, so they aren't something that would be usable in a most guitar amps.  The amp section uses 12AX7s and 7591s,  similar to what's in the old Ampegs  or my Guild Thunderbird.

On 3/21/2022 at 6:13 PM, ElChoad said:

I can't see why anybody would want to go away from tube amps for these new "modeling" amps. I have never heard of a company claiming their tube amp sounds "just like a Line 6 Spider". ? If you want to sound like a tube amp, there is an easy way to do it: put tubes in the damn thing...

Matter of close enough really.... There are many analog amp manufactures that create amps that get you in the ballpark.  With effect pedals, band mixes, etc, the tone of the tube amp is lost or negligible at that point.  I play a Fender Deville 4x10 amp and use a Timmy Clone and a JHS Andy Timmons to get a Marshall-esqe tone out of it.  Could use my Quilter to achieve the same tone.  Even though I have a sweet sounding Marshall DSL20 Tube amp combo....

My point is, I can use pedals that get me into the same territory as my Marshall without dragging that around.   The Fender stays at practice space, I only bring a guitar and my pedal board.  But with the mix, it sounds fantastic.  Next week, we are going to a professional studio with the same amp in the backline.  I'll know better how my "tone" sounds when properly mixed.

8 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Matter of close enough really.... There are many analog amp manufactures that create amps that get you in the ballpark.  With effect pedals, band mixes, etc, the tone of the tube amp is lost or negligible at that point.  I play a Fender Deville 4x10 amp and use a Timmy Clone and a JHS Andy Timmons to get a Marshall-esqe tone out of it.  Could use my Quilter to achieve the same tone.  Even though I have a sweet sounding Marshall DSL20 Tube amp combo....

My point is, I can use pedals that get me into the same territory as my Marshall without dragging that around.   The Fender stays at practice space, I only bring a guitar and my pedal board.  But with the mix, it sounds fantastic.  Next week, we are going to a professional studio with the same amp in the backline.  I'll know better how my "tone" sounds when properly mixed.

You do you, man. That's the great thing about having options. You can find what works for you and go with it. If everyone used the same equipment and sounded the same, music might as well turn into rap. ?

• 2 weeks later...

My 6P-14Ps arrived today from Romania. Took a little bit, but you have to be a little lenient when ordering something from Eastern Europe. Now I have everything backed up. At least once. That should hold me for a few decades...

On 3/19/2022 at 8:46 AM, TalismanRich said:

My Belgian accordian teacher had one. I was tempted to buy the same rig, with Leslie cabinet back in 65. It sounded glorious. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2022 at 8:46 AM, TalismanRich said:

Thankfully, most of those tubes are 6X8 triode/pentode tubes, which are pretty much only used in tone generators for organs and other things. They have no guitar -related uses, so they are cheap, however that's only IF you can find them.

12 minutes ago, kbp810 said:

Took about a month, but set of 6P14-ev's I snagged have also successfully arrived. 

IMG_1206-X2.jpg

Who was the source Brian?

On 4/2/2022 at 6:35 PM, ElChoad said:

My 6P-14Ps arrived today from Romania. Took a little bit, but you have to be a little lenient when ordering something from Eastern Europe. Now I have everything backed up. At least once. That should hold me for a few decades...

I am awaiting a set from Ukraine. I might be waiting a while.....

Archived