Heritage Owners Club

Tube Prices

This makes small simple class A amps more appealing to me than ever. Three tubes will power one to glorious tones that a mic can distribute to an entire audience. Convert the amp to a solid state rectifier and the tube count goes down to two. It will also be loud enough for most of the small clubs without a mic. Once the tubes are out of the picture I guess I’ll have to go to the Fender Tone Master amps. It’s a shame they don’t make a Brownface Deluxe in that series. 

• 4 months later...

I just scored six NOS/very strong used 6973 tubes for my Black Magick Reverb. (3 of each, $150.) The dude threw in an extra pair of strong ones for nothing. That is my last guitar amp I have, and I have enough power tubes to last me for about 100 years, probably more since I have been focused on drums much more lately. I still keep my eyes out for NOS 12AX7s, though. I only have two sets left.

1 hour ago, ElChoad said:

I just scored six NOS/very strong used 6973 tubes for my Black Magick Reverb. (3 of each, $150.) The dude threw in an extra pair of strong ones for nothing. That is my last guitar amp I have, and I have enough power tubes to last me for about 100 years, probably more since I have been focused on drums much more lately. I still keep my eyes out for NOS 12AX7s, though. I only have two sets left.

I just got burned on a set of 6 "NOS" 12ax7's. Every one of them is super microphonic and pretty much worthless 😢

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, kbp810 said:

I just got burned on a set of 6 "NOS" 12ax7's. Every one of them is super microphonic and pretty much worthless 😢

I have 6 of those too!  I can make you a real good deal (for me) on a matching set...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Steiner said:

I have 6 of those too!  I can make you a real good deal (for me) on a matching set...

So cheaper buy the dozen.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Spectrum13 said:

So cheaper buy the dozen.

Buy the cheaper dozen.

Perhaps a set of red-plating 6L6 or EL34s?

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, ElChoad said:

I've had my Harmony 8418 Reissue in a high end consignment shop.  Every time my son goes there, he plays that amp.  Over the weekend, he bought a PRS SE Silversky and plugged it in.  I also plugged into it and forgot how such a simple, low wattage amp can sound fabulous.  While its a small 5w 1x6" combo, its ability to handle both single coils and high output humbuckers is amazing.   I was lucky enough to compare it to a Fender Tweed Champ handwired reissue that cost 3x as much.  The Harmony sounded better, gets a little breakup past 1 o'clock, but has a pleasant usable sound.

1 hour ago, kbp810 said:

I see your red-platting 6L6's and raise you one pair of internally arcing raytheon 6v6's. 

Too rich for me.  Talk about your amp making the sparks fly!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1