Heritage Owners Club

Vacuum tube shortage?

ElNumero

I’m hearing that the tragic situation unfolding in Ukraine may result in a worldwide shortage of vacuum tubes.  Time to stock up?

1 hour ago, ElNumero said:

I’m hearing that the tragic situation unfolding in Ukraine may result in a worldwide shortage of vacuum tubes.  Time to stock up?

I believe the ship to stock up has already sailed. 

At least a couple tube suppliers I've checked recently have temporarily closed shop while they catch up with the bombardment of panic buying orders; for others, nearly every tube shows as out of stock, without an ETA or option to pre-order. 

Now why didn't I see this coming and invest in tubes six months ago?

I've heard all kinds of things, like how someone tried to buy $60K of tubes from guitar center to try to corner the market. The Tube Store's website closed due to volume, and the other are running really slow.  There also have been several LONG youtube videos posted about the situation.

As for me, I have enough power tubes and preamp tubes to last me quite some time, so I am not worried. The OEM supply however will definitely be a mess.

Yep, I DID NOT see that coming. I saw the nation wide gun and ammo shortage and stocked up far ahead of time. But tubes, I completely missed that. Now I wish I had spares. But I will probably never need them if I just rotate through each of my amps, I'll probably never need to replace any tubes.

Archived