Heritage Owners Club

NGD - '93 H-150

PunkKitty

1 hour ago, HANGAR18 said:

I'm in the middle of researching a brand of pickups from England called Bare Knuckles.

I have had two sets of these and loved them both. I had a pair of Rebel Yells in a Studio and they were great. Very responsive to tone adjustments. I currently have a pair of Black Dogs in my Goldtop. They have been in there since '15. They just sound great in that guitar. I am lucky enough to have a dealer fairly close that was also a Gibson dealer. He had every set on his wall in an LP. Made it really easy to try them out.

2 hours ago, HANGAR18 said:

I'm in the middle of researching a brand of pickups from England called Bare Knuckles.

I have BK The Mule set on my H150 Gold Top, you can hear them here, great tone

if you're in US though I'd check some more US builders for less import costs

I have a set of zebra Wolfetone Marshallheads with A2 magnets that I really don't need. I also have a set of 89 first year issues of Duncan Pearly Gates wound by MJ that I don't need. Let me know if you're interested in either set.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the mods on this. I kept the Duncan '59 set, but I replaced the magnets with A2 and added nickel covers. I had some CTS push/pull pots, and the pickups had 4 leads so I rewired it with PIO caps and coil splits. I had a Gotoh nickel bridge, so I used it. I installed an aluminum tailpiece with locking posts. Gotoh locking tuners.
IMG_20220502_174803318_HDR.jpg IMG_20220502_174906466.jpg IMG_20220502_174916151.jpg IMG_20220502_174933683.jpg

5 hours ago, PunkKitty said:

I finished the mods on this. I kept the Duncan '59 set, but I replaced the magnets with A2 and added nickel covers. I had some CTS push/pull pots, and the pickups had 4 leads so I rewired it with PIO caps and coil splits. I had a Gotoh nickel bridge, so I used it. I installed an aluminum tailpiece with locking posts. Gotoh locking tuners.
IMG_20220502_174803318_HDR.jpg IMG_20220502_174906466.jpg IMG_20220502_174916151.jpg IMG_20220502_174933683.jpg

I like the covers on the pickups!

On 4/18/2022 at 12:35 PM, HANGAR18 said:

The Doug and Pat Show Pickup Shootout #2 has a set of BK Stormy Mondays reviewed at around 15'30"...

• 3 months later...

A follow up on this. I tried the Lollars but didn't think they were right with this. That, and I set them up with push/pull volume pots and there was a problem with my wiring. So I spent the afternoon working on this. The first thing I did was to age the nickel hardware. I found out that if you boil a mix of water and vinegar and suspend the parts over them for about 15 minutes, the fumes will age the nickel finish. So that's what I did. I also installed a non locking set of Gotoh tuners with weird metal knobs that I could age. I didn't want to try putting plastic knobs over the steam. It took the bright sheen off of the nickel finish. You can really see it on the bridge and tailpiece. I had a set of Duncan Slash humbuckers that I installed covers on. Again, I aged them a bit.

Does anyone know where I can get a Heritage type truss rod cover?

On 4/18/2022 at 12:35 PM, HANGAR18 said:

I have a set of their 'Stormy Monday' PAF-style pickups in one of my H150s. Alnico 2 magnets and a DC resistance in the 7.7k region. Doug and Pat were impressed when they had them in their 'Pickup Shootout 2'... (The Bare Knuckles are at around 15'30".)

Archived