Heritage Owners Club

Sweet 16 weight

Philapete

I love my 1995 16 but it feels heavier than other arch tops. The weight is around 6’12” which is a bit more than an es 175, and a Johnny smith. It feels as though the extra weight is in the neck. Is this a function of the large bound headstock and the bound inlaid fret board? Maybe the 5 piece maple/hog/maple neck? Maybe I’m wrong that the weighty feel is in the neck maybe it’s in the body?

If it feels like it is in the neck then it probably is. Maple is a heavy-ish wood and some pieces are heavier than others of the same type. The large headstock can defiantly add a weighted feel since it is cantilevered out there far from the body. I doubt the binding and inlays add much weight though. The Mahogany stripes in the neck most likely decrease the weight, though not by much,  compared to all Maple. The 175 has an all Mahogany neck and is going to be lighter because of that and possible feel more balanced too. The Johnny Smith may just have Maple that is lighter due to growing conditions or even a different type of Maple. 

Archived