Heritage Owners Club

Mesa Boogie Heartbreaker

The studio is selling their Mesa Boogie Heartbreaker head.

It's a 100W switchable to 60 Watt Tube full sized tube amp head.

From what I read it's a 25th Anniversary model to a Mark I amp.

What is interesting is the bias adjustment for either EL34, 6V6, or 6L6 power tubes.

The 2 channels are interesting, but 4 modes? 2 Channels (1=Love 2=Lust), 4 Modes (Channel 1 =Mk I Clean, Mk I Medium Gain, Mk I High Gain, Channel 2 =Tweed Clean & British Gain)

Seems like a jack of all trades amp (albeit way too loud for me).

But for $1200, is it a steal or overpriced?  Haven't seen any for sale on Reverb recently, but within the last 5-7 months they were between $700 and $900.

Are amps going up in price that much?

13 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Years ago I played through one of these amps and I was pretty impressed. 

They've long been discontinued.  I think they were late 90's, early 2000's amps.  Mesa has done a lot of stuff over the years, but seems only the Dual and Triple Rectifiers are what people remember or want.

9 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

They've long been discontinued.  I think they were late 90's, early 2000's amps.  Mesa has done a lot of stuff over the years, but seems only the Dual and Triple Rectifiers are what people remember or want.

The most popular old Mesa seems to be the Mesa Mark IIC. Check the prices of those old beauties!

I've been holding out, but recently, I bought a Mesa Fillmore 50, and I can tell you it's one of the finest amps I've ever played through. It has two identical channels with three different types of gain voices (Clean, Drive, Hi). Unlike any other dual channel Mesa amp that I've ever used, you can really set up a killer lead tone with the perfect rhythm tone.

In the past, I could never get the high gain channels tones of my Mesa amps to sit with my clean channel tones. Typically I just used the clean channels on those amps and hit them with a drive pedal for the lead tones.

The Fillmore on the other hand is really easy to dial in some great matching tones for rhythm and lead.

On 4/29/2022 at 5:57 PM, rockabilly69 said:

The most popular old Mesa seems to be the Mesa Mark IIC. Check the prices of those old beauties!

I've been holding out, but recently, I bought a Mesa Fillmore 50, and I can tell you it's one of the finest amps I've ever played through. It has two identical channels with three different types of gain voices (Clean, Drive, Hi). Unlike any other dual channel Mesa amp that I've ever used, you can really set up a killer lead tone with the perfect rhythm tone.

In the past, I could never get the high gain channels tones of my Mesa amps to sit with my clean channel tones. Typically I just used the clean channels on those amps and hit them with a drive pedal for the lead tones.

The Fillmore on the other hand is really easy to dial in some great matching tones for rhythm and lead.

One of those MKIIC sold on Reverb for $6000 a couple months ago.  Wow!

4 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Yes, they bring the money!

About 5 years ago, we had an upscale "Play It Again" music store (basically a very high end pawn shop with vintage and used custom shop stuff).  They had three MKIICs all for around $1,600-1,800.  I was really interested in their higher gain sounds.... until I tried to lift one off the ground.  HEAVY combo amps!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Kuz said:

About 5 years ago, we had an upscale "Play It Again" music store (basically a very high end pawn shop with vintage and used custom shop stuff).  They had three MKIICs all for around $1,600-1,800.  I was really interested in their higher gain sounds.... until I tried to lift one off the ground.  HEAVY combo amps!!!!!!!!

I don't think I've ever heard of a lightweight Mesa amp.  Pressure's Kingsnake combo amp is right up there with a Fender Twin and it was a small amp for a Mesa.

22 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

I don't think I've ever heard of a lightweight Mesa amp.  Pressure's Kingsnake combo amp is right up there with a Fender Twin and it was a small amp for a Mesa.

Friends in the music trade used to refer to the Heartbreaker combo as the "Backbreaker"...

Archived