Heritage Owners Club

Thalia Truss rod covers

rwinking

So thalia has some truss rod covers and some are pretty nice. I remember that they were going to try and do some specific to Heritage guitars but I guess they did not. Anyway, does anyone know if they will fit on a Heritage? They have some Gibson covers that don't say Gibson but are really purty.

I’d gotten one from them for a non-heritage, but wasn’t super impressed with it. Looked nice from above, but from the side, you could see layers of veneer and it just looked cheap to me. I think custom inlay has better quality (and they’re who I’ve always gone through in the past). You can email them with custom requests if you don’t like their off the shelf designs. 

Here's the TRC in question - rather thick, and as you can see, multiple laminated layers that also don't seem to perfectly line up. 

None of which you can really see from the front (looks great from the front). Hasn't bugged me enough to replace it yet, but still kind of bugs me a bit. 

IMG_1290-X4.jpg

Yes, they will do Heritages.  Last year I sent them some specs.  They sent some prototypes until the holes lined up.  I liked the MOP on ebony TRC.

You're not supposed to look at them sideways!!

20 minutes ago, MartyGrass said:

You're not supposed to look at them sideways!!

LOL! That's what I told myself as I opted to install it as opposed to sending it back ?

It does stick out like a sore thumb from the side though. Still don't dislike it enough to discard... but in the future, I'm sticking with Custom Inlay. Theirs have always been around the same thickness as an OEM plastic TRC; gives the look that it's something that could have came installed from the factory. 

On 5/7/2022 at 7:14 PM, kbp810 said:

LOL! That's what I told myself as I opted to install it as opposed to sending it back ?

It does stick out like a sore thumb from the side though. Still don't dislike it enough to discard... but in the future, I'm sticking with Custom Inlay. Theirs have always been around the same thickness as an OEM plastic TRC; gives the look that it's something that could have came installed from the factory. 

So they don't bevel the edges so you can visibly see the layers like most layered TRC's? That would seem better to me...

I used to have a nice TRC made from maple that Stiener gave me years ago, no idea where it went sadly though.  He had those custom engraved, came out nice I thought.

Sky Dog, Did I miss something? Who made those nice TRCs? They are cool!

15 hours ago, rwinking said:

Sky Dog, Did I miss something? Who made those nice TRCs? They are cool!

Thanks. Most of them I ordered from Custom Inlays. Great people to work with.   Custom Inlay, Inc. - Custom Inlay, Truss Rod Cover, Gibson

The maple one is from our very own Steiner.  He does nice woodwork!

Archived