Heritage Owners Club

Show n Tell: What was your FIRST Heritage Guitar?

Gitfiddler

My and my daughter's first Heritage.  '88 150 & a '93 137.  The jacket I wore was found in my dumpster.  I didn't keep it long. 

black-150.jpg

dscf3396_std.jpg

dscf3401_std.jpg

14 hours ago, brentrocks said:

I bought this at Mid Michigan Music in Midland Michigan, my wife’s hometown.     It was around 1997. 
@Dick Seacup probably knew that shop well.  They would have a 50% off sale once a year.  I scored that green H157 for $900 out the door.   It was brand new.  I was just getting back into playing guitar.  I could barely play 7 chords.   I have tried to get it back but I haven’t seen it anywhere in 20 years or so.  

So how many chords are you up to these days?

Here is my first Heritage. Johnny Smith Sunburst - G07502 - October 17th 1990, a Wednesday. It was the 2nd guitar built that day. I found this one at a small guitar shop in Island Lake Illinois, Island Music, around 1991. They had 2 Johnny Smiths and 2 Gary Moore H150s. The other Johnny Smith had a natural finish and had already been sold. I had wanted a Johnny Smith since Gibsons came out with their version in 1961. I found the natural finish Johnny Smith at a guitar dealer in Boston in May 2014 and bought it. Johnny Smith Natural - G07706 - October 15th 1990, a Monday. It was the 6th guitar built that day.

Two Johnny Smiths built within days of each other, both for sale at Island Music in 1991 convinced me the Natural Johnny Smith must have been the same one I saw at Island Music 23 years earlier.

Johnny_Smith_01_v01_LR.jpg

JS_Natural_Front_Sm.jpg

Hi All, cool thread ?

My First The Heritage Guitar was a 2013-2014 Custom Order H535.
Custom Specs:
- Golden HW
- Ebony fretboard
- Push-Pull Tone pots for coil splitting
- 1.75" Nut width

I asked to leave all the rest as was reported on the glorious website of back then but somebody decided to use barrel knobs that I honestly do not appreciate much.
Given the request of the wider Nut Width, they tried a first make but they weren't happy and I received a communication that the owners (back then the Original Owners) were not happy with it and decided to rebuild it (that's why writing 2013-2014). Good times.

I received a great cool H535, the fretboard and neck profile just work great with me.
Nice tone and play-ability. Please note the nice pick-guard.
Finish: Almond Sunburst.

Dealer: Wolfe Guitars.

The picture has been taken from a friend's house in Italy, the tree is a maple.

GianlucaRiccardi_H535_Custom_HDRrendered_950px.JPG

2 hours ago, Gianluca said:

Hi All, cool thread ?

My First The Heritage Guitar was a 2013-2014 Custom Order H535.
Custom Specs:
- Golden HW
- Ebony fretboard
- Push-Pull Tone pots for coil splitting
- 1.75" Nut width

I asked to leave all the rest as was reported on the glorious website of back then but somebody decided to use barrel knobs that I honestly do not appreciate much.
Given the request of the wider Nut Width, they tried a first make but they weren't happy and I received a communication that the owners (back then the Original Owners) were not happy with it and decided to rebuild it (that's why writing 2013-2014). Good times.

I received a great cool H535, the fretboard and neck profile just work great with me.
Nice tone and play-ability. Please note the nice pick-guard.
Finish: Almond Sunburst.

Dealer: Wolfe Guitars.

The picture has been taken from a friend's house in Italy, the tree is a maple.

GianlucaRiccardi_H535_Custom_HDRrendered_950px.JPG

Is that a wider nut width?  I'm not familiar with the "normal" width.

48 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

Is that a wider nut width?  I'm not familiar with the "normal" width.

yes DB, it was the wider they could have made at the time (so I've been told)
the neck profile is a sort of D (never measured honestly) and it's more similar to the standard Martin D-35 neck profile

18 hours ago, Vanschoyck said:

A 2001 custom Sweet 16.  Years later I replaced it with a custom H575 which is great with its shorter scale, but the St 16 was shmancier.  

1694131515_Sweet163.thumb.jpg.42cac0ed7fdaf443d39d212d52ae47f3.jpg

Hey Van was there a huge difference in tone because of the shorter scale, or was it more for the slinkier feel that made you go to the H575

Hey Van was there a huge difference in tone because of the shorter scale, or was it more for the slinkier feel that made you go to the H575

The huge difference for me was the feel and that was the motive.  The sounds are different but in the same wheelhouse, both are great sounds to me.  I like the sound better when I'm playing more comfortably.  For a while I wondered if a Byrdland might be in my future.  But for now the 575 really feels great!

On 5/24/2022 at 4:08 PM, Vanschoyck said:

The huge difference for me was the feel and that was the motive.  The sounds are different but in the same wheelhouse, both are great sounds to me.  I like the sound better when I'm playing more comfortably.  For a while I wondered if a Byrdland might be in my future.  But for now the 575 really feels great!

That is funny because I've also considered a Byrdland, as I love my short scale guitars. There is just something sexy about the feel of the short scales.

I've posted this pic before, but what the hey: an amp tech I have much respect for once told me about Heritage guitars, and that he regretting selling one he owned because it was such a great instrument. So when I eventually came across a used one in another shop, I made sure to check it out!

Sure enough, it was a knockout! So it was & still is my #1.

I put Wolfetone Legends in soon after I got it. Plus a set of Pigtail steel tailpiece studs/bolts, and an aluminium tailpiece. And an ABR-1 style bridge.

At one point I put a hifalootin' LP wiring pots+harness in, but after a while I swapped back the original pots & wiring, as I preferred it.

Somehow a couple saddles got flipped around! Next time I change strings I might fix them. But it works fine.

94_H150.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 11:05 AM, Hondacbr said:

2019 Dirty Lemon Burst purchased in Israel and shipped to Toronto Canada. This is the store pic from their website. All my photos are too large to upload into the forum.

That thing is a world traveler!    It's pretty long distance for a guitar that was made about 350 miles from Toronto in the first place. ?

14 hours ago, JeffB said:

My first and only Heritage.  2006. 10.5lb. Chestnut burst.

Sweet!  '96 was a good year for Heritage. 

On 5/29/2022 at 6:05 AM, greywolf66 said:

My first one a 2012 H575 C with '59 Duncans, I picked this up in 2017 ,still the crown jewel of my collection

Heritage 575C 2012 59 duncans.jpg

Is there a filter in that photo?  Has a cool copper tone look to it..

On 6/30/2022 at 10:05 AM, Hondacbr said:

2019 Dirty Lemon Burst purchased in Israel and shipped to Toronto Canada. This is the store pic from their website. All my photos are too large to upload into the forum.

nj4ncobmby8lvzj8ba2h.jpg

Reduce the image size, should be easier to load..

Archived