Heritage Owners Club

Spare Parts Build

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cabs are the #1 item in the amp's BOM cost.  I can see you're going there in style.

Mighty-fine finger joints.  That was very brave of you to go with so many!  It's a LOT of work and anxiety verifying everything is optimum before each cut; it just takes one aw$hit to destroy the entire project.  You've made it this far, Kudos!

3 hours ago, Steiner said:

Cabs are the #1 item in the amp's BOM cost.  I can see you're going there in style.

Mighty-fine finger joints.  That was very brave of you to go with so many!  It's a LOT of work and anxiety verifying everything is optimum before each cut; it just takes one aw$hit to destroy the entire project.  You've made it this far, Kudos!

It was terrifying, lol. Practicing with the pine was just zip-zip-zip without a care in the world; but it took multiple deep breaths and pauses before making the first cut in the maple. My hand was cramping before the end of the first board from gripping so hard. I did intentionally increase my cab dimensions a bit to leave room for a do-over in the event of a catastrophic error; but while there was certainly room for improvement, content enough with the outcome to not warrant such actions. It was the difference between going 2x10 or 1x12; it will remain a 2x10. 

Spent most of my free time today trimming, drilling holes, sanding, sanding, sanding, hit with the round over bit, internal support pieces cut and placed, sanding, sanding, and then more sanding. In between a few of those sanding coats I hit it with a water based dye. Final sanding tomorrow, then start in on the finish. 

IMG_1465-338x450.jpg

Nice tint!  Not only does it bring out the curl, it accentuates the end grain.  Bravo!!!

On 6/20/2022 at 5:38 PM, kbp810 said:

It was terrifying, lol. Practicing with the pine was just zip-zip-zip without a care in the world; but it took multiple deep breaths and pauses before making the first cut in the maple. My hand was cramping before the end of the first board from gripping so hard. I did intentionally increase my cab dimensions a bit to leave room for a do-over in the event of a catastrophic error; but while there was certainly room for improvement, content enough with the outcome to not warrant such actions. It was the difference between going 2x10 or 1x12; it will remain a 2x10. 

Spent most of my free time today trimming, drilling holes, sanding, sanding, sanding, hit with the round over bit, internal support pieces cut and placed, sanding, sanding, and then more sanding. In between a few of those sanding coats I hit it with a water based dye. Final sanding tomorrow, then start in on the finish. 

IMG_1465-338x450.jpg

Can't wait to see it when it's all wrapped up, and I hope you do a demo!!!

21 hours ago, JeffB said:

This thread drew me in.

Also Josh asking about the metal zone in January troubled me deeply.

Yes, yes, but what about the Pies mate?

On 6/20/2022 at 6:38 PM, kbp810 said:

IMG_1465-338x450.jpg

Those fellers from South Lyon may have taught you a bit about building cabinets.  Now you are showing them how to do it. 

Those fellers from South Lyon may have taught you a bit about building cabinets.  Now you are showing them how to do it. 

I'm a long ways off from holding a candle to the work they do; but certainly trying my best to apply the lessons they've shared. 

Just put what I believe to the the final coat of finish on mine this morning; hopefully tomorrow can assemble and get it fired up. In parallel, my daughter twisted my arm and talked me into building her an amp too.  

5 hours ago, kbp810 said:

In parallel, my daughter twisted my arm and talked me into building her an amp too.  

A 5E3 perhaps?

And she's done!

I do wish I'd made her a little less wide... but my plan included using as much of the board as I could with minimal waste; plus it allowed room for a do-over in the event of a catastrophic error. This is something I'm correcting with the daughters cab; it's going to be much more of a tighter fit to the speaker. 

Speaking of using as much of the board as I could... everything except the upper panel in the back and the birch speaker baffle was made from the original board. Including the inner bracing/supports and the lower panel. 

Lastly... I had a pack of dress washers for the back panel screws, but had snagged the wrong size. It's a Sunday in northern Michigan, meaning it's about a 45-60 minute one-way drive to the nearest open hardware store, lol. So I'll circle back on those tomorrow. For now they are gently in place just to give the full buttoned up look. 

It's a 2x10 mixing a WGS Veteran and a Celestion G10; GZ34 rectifier, 2x 6P14ev power tubes, 2 12ax7's; simple volume/tone/master volume controls. 

Will record a sound demo sometime in the near future

IMG_1504-X4.jpg

IMG_1505-X4.jpg

IMG_1524-X4.jpg

Bravo KBP810!  Or, shall we call you Dr. TransTint?  Something I wanted to experiment with but haven't an eye for the color wheel.  I love the color you settled upon.  Kudos for the conservative approach in design.  A good woodworker pre-calculates dimensions based on materials rather than design.  Impressive!

The larger cab volume should augment the bass frequencies to tame the timbre of the 6P14p tubes; kudos!

Archived