Heritage Owners Club

New Amp Day: Used 100w Marshall Silver Jubilee

100w Marshall
JCM 25/50 Model 2555
Silver Jubilee

Yes, it sounds AMAZING!

I'd been in a mood to buy an amp for a while now but eventually lost interest. Then, my birthday was yesterday and Paul said I should buy a new guitar. Great! So I used that as an excuse to seek out another guitar. I found a really nifty Gibson Slash model Goldtop and remembered that I never did buy myself a Goldtop when I turned 50, so I thought that's what I would do. But then I remembered how it said in the Danny's Book of Rules... Thou shalt not buy a guitar just because you like the color. So then I gave up on buying the Slash model guitar.

That reminded me that there was a PRS "Paul's Amp" (formerly called a MDT) I knew about which had remained unsold for a long time. It was the same price as the Goldtop, so I went across town to see it. Perhaps I would add it to the rare/discontinued PRS amps which I currently own. Who knows? But as it turned out, I wound up trying it out first, only to discover that it didn't have a pleasing tube breakup/distortion tone. It did "cleans" great but the dirty was more muddy than the kind of dirty that I like.

As I was telling the salesguy why I was leaning away from buying the PRS amp, this lead to a "Hey, what is this here?" moment. I spotted the Marshall and asked the sales guy if I could try that one out. New rule in Danny's Book of Rules. If you want Marshall tone, BUY A MARSHALL! This time the sales guy plugged in the Les Paul that I had selected in order to perform the tone testing and he launched straight into some serious Slash/GnR tone that just roared out of the Marshall 4x12 cabinet we were using. I loved the tone, the price was a good bit cheaper than the PRS amp, it was compatible with the cabinets which I already had at home... SOLD.

Here it is...

Good news... I can plug both of my Marshall model 1936 cabinets into this amp at the the same time. One cabinet has V30's and the other has the normal Celestions. Now both of my Blistertone amps will need to share the back seat for a little while.

MarshallSilverJubilee01.jpg

MarshallSilverJubilee02.jpg

Love your rules for guitars and amps. I recently came up with one....a self respecting guitar player (of course that is an oxymoron....) should have at least half his age in guitars

8 hours ago, rwinking said:

Love your rules for guitars and amps. I recently came up with one....a self respecting guitar player (of course that is an oxymoron....) should have at least half his age in guitars

I may never achieve that. At today's prices, I wouldn't be able to repurchase my own collection.

Nice snatch!  Marshall always concerned me with so many models, who knows which to get?  I've always wanted a plexi and (1962?) Bluesbreaker but even those have so many variants and reissues that I never delved.  Now that you've found "that sound" I congratulate you!  May you play in good health!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived