Heritage Owners Club

New mid and treble boaster increases tone spectrum

Listen to me now and thank me latter...

Just fixed a problem that plague me for many a year.  On a couple of my boutique amps the presence controls never worked. 

As luck would have, all is good after adding a single mid and treble boaster to the signal chain for a measly couple of grand.  This was a game changer bringing overtones and volume to my H575 and countless additional tone enhancements. 

What did I get? 

Will, please do not spoil this quiz. 

11 minutes ago, ElChoad said:

Hearing aids???

Ding ding ding    we have a winner!!!!!

As a boomer and someone who has been to his share of loud, do you self a favor and have your hearing tested. If like me your high end drops after 2000hz or Will after 4000hz you are just not hearing a LOT.  Buying speakers and audio amps going from 20 to 20,000 hz when in your sixties or seventies???

My amps and guitars sound much much better when the full spectrum opens up. I was clueless.

Anyone else that will confirm?  

I can still hear up to about 8-10K, at least I could the last time I tested.  Cymbals have lost their shimmer though, and hiss isn't nearly as annoying as it used to be.   Plus,  depending on the day and the condition of my sinuses,  I get tinnitus, and sometimes it gets pretty loud.    The right ear is much worse than the left, and when it's plugged,  I lose as much low frequency as high. 

I don't think that its all because of loud music or loud noise at work.   For the last 15-20 years we had hearing protection programs at work.  I have gobs of earplugs that I brought home.   I had two aunts who needed hearing aids and neither lived or worked in anything like a loud environment.   I think we just wear out with age, like an old 50s Buick with high mileage!  

Remember,  Rust Never Sleeps!

3 hours ago, Spectrum13 said:

Ding ding ding    we have a winner!!!!!

As a boomer and someone who has been to his share of loud, do you self a favor and have your hearing tested. If like me your high end drops after 2000hz or Will after 4000hz you are just not hearing a LOT.  Buying speakers and audio amps going from 20 to 20,000 hz when in your sixties or seventies???

My amps and guitars sound much much better when the full spectrum opens up. I was clueless.

Anyone else that will confirm?  

Do you need my address to ship my prize to??

Years ago, I was in the middle of a soundcheck with a band, and I kneeled down in from of my amp to adjust something and listen closely to the speaker. The drummer didn't see me down there, and my amp was very close to his snare drum which he proceeded to smack with quite a crack. It was like a cannon going off in my ear that was closest to the drum, and I couldn't hear properly out of that ear for almost a full day. It's as if my ear shut down, but eventually I got my hearing back. Ever since, I've been very careful about not listening to things too loud. It was like a warning of what it would be like without proper hearing! It was a big reason why I went acoustic!!!

Booster vs boaster in the title.

Keep on seeing high frequencies arrogantly stomping around on the heads of more polite frequencies, wearing revealing garments, talking about accomplishments they imagine matter and taking selfies.

For better or worse, treble frequencies are the boastful "look at me" frequencies. We need them to remind us how fulfilling and essential the other frequencies are.

Archived