Heritage Owners Club

H-157 with HRWs review

MartyGrass

On 7/10/2022 at 12:25 PM, MartyGrass said:

There are some inaccuracies but overall this is a nice review.

The H-157s are not all 12 pounds, although some are.  The HRWs are not simply hand wound.  The rest seems right.

What I do like is that in the middle of his review he stops and tells the Heritage story but says everyone should already know it.  Yeah, it took a few years but it's true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbcQWff9YPI

Does anyone really know the secret sauce to the HRW's?

2 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Does anyone really know the secret sauce to the HRW's?

I tried to get it out of Ren after he had a couple of beers at the barn one year. He got tight lipped and walked away. He'll take that secret to his grave.

21 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Wasn't there a theory floating around about Ren somehow applying cryogenics to magnets or something?

Sounds a bit complicated for Ren.  I would rather theorize he swapped magnets, spacer, or rewound them rather than apply cryogenics to them.

7 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Sounds a bit complicated for Ren.  I would rather theorize he swapped magnets, spacer, or rewound them rather than apply cryogenics to them.

Schaller magnets are a custom size. You can't use a standard magnet in them. He may have treated the magnet in some way or rewound the pickups. If I remember right, Schaller magnets are also glued into place. I could be wrong about that.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't already dissected an HRW and compared it to a standard Schaller.   You should easily be able to tell if the pickup had been rewound, repotted or other tinkering of the basic parts.   Cryogenic treatment would be tougher to verify, as it probably wouldn't show up in any visual or normal electrical inspection.  

As for cryogenics being a 'wonder drug' for pickups,  I take it with a grain of salt.   It it was that simple,  EVERYONE would have a small vat of liquid nitrogen, and the dip would be part of the standard process.   You don't think Seymour Duncan would do that it if improved all his pickups by 10 or 20%?

I guess it always amazes me how people will make some change and it suddenly makes this massive improvement.  Maybe I'm too much of a skeptic.   You would think that sometimes that change would make a massive mess of everything.   You never hear about that.   Every change can't be for the better!

Archived