Heritage Owners Club

NPUD

bobmeyrick

The email arrived from PMT (Professional Music Technology) listing the items in their summer sale. I applied the filter for the Nottingham store, and one thing piqued my interest, a set of Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pickups, specifically the Eric Steckel 'Candy' model. I'd never heard of Eric, but it seems he played a 1960 Les Paul known as 'Candy' and was smitten by the sound. Some reverse engineering later and the SD Custom Shop came up with a recreation of Candy's pickups.

Now, I didn't need a new set of PAF-style pickups, but these have Alnico III magnets and a DC resistance of around 7.7k, and more importantly had been reduced from £313 to £212. Someone had ordered them but hadn't collected them. I went along to the store and promptly bought them...

I've replaced the SD 59s in my H150 ASB, and on first listen they sound very nice both clean and overdriven. There's a clarity which I like. Anyway, here's a few pics.

P8080055s.JPG

P8080057s.JPG

P8080058s.JPG

P8080059s.JPG

P8080061s.JPG

That look just works in your guitar. I'm glad you are happy with the sound.

I've ordered a few Custom Shop pickups from SD. Happy with all of them. My favorite is the Joe Bonamassa set they did in a limited run.

Their Custom Shop people are very easy to work with.

They look great and I am a big fan of low wind A3 pickups, that's what's in my main Les Paul R7, and my favorite Zemaitis. I especially love the neck positions on those guitars.

I also have Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pickups in my Heritage H150. They are Peter Green models, but I didn't have them reverse the phase for the typical Peter Green sound, I just wanted them because of the low wind and they are unpotted. They sound great. Better than any off the shelf Duncan pickup that I've tried.

I'm typically not a fan of exposed coil pickups, but yours look great with your dark sunburst! Congrats, I'm glad you found some cool pickups!

4 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

They look great and I am a big fan of low wind A3 pickups

That's partly why I bought them - your enthusiasm made me think they would be worth investigating! I wasn't in a hurry to get new pickups, but when they turn up at the right price... ?

7 hours ago, bobmeyrick said:

That's partly why I bought them - your enthusiasm made me think they would be worth investigating! I wasn't in a hurry to get new pickups, but when they turn up at the right price... ?

Well I hope you hear the same thing in A3 pickups that I do. I fought with neck pickups to get clarity and it wasn’t until I tried A3s that the problem went away. Now I use the neck pickups much more in those guitars.

Archived