Heritage Owners Club

eBay score. H147

brentrocks

I pulled the trigger on a 1988 H147 yesterday. 

From the sellers pictures, it appears to be in excellent shape!!  He claims it has seen very little play time and has no fret wear.  

I noticed right away that the pickup rings are not factory original, so it has possibly seen a pickup swap or the rings were changed (since the original ones usually ended up cracking).  I’m thinking it still has the original Schaller pups.  The pup screws look original.  

No heritage case.  Not a big deal.  Original Schaller hardware.   But the one thing I find intriguing is the tuners.  Schaller tuners with the Grover footprint!   Kinda rare for that era!   

There doesn’t appear to be much in the line of checking on the guitar, which is very odd for a heritage this age. It must have spent most of it’s time in a case.  The frets look pretty high and basically unplayed.  The edges of the inlay work on the headstock still look nice and sharp.    This guitar was very well taken care of or just sat under the bed.  

I plan to convert it over to nickel hardware.  If the pickups are the original Schallers, they will be coming out.  I’m assuming the neck carve will be a 60s style, probably around .840 at the first fret.  If it ends up being bigger, that would be a bonus!   I should have it Thursday or Friday so stay tuned!!!!

8B68A6EB-4A99-4768-82F1-42B93BD6CB0A.jpeg

E3573642-966E-4F62-A842-0018EC314350.jpeg

01B2DA71-ECD8-4124-AE01-AED0CEE929F6.jpeg

42E5FB7E-E9EE-4877-91B1-9CE76F9A73AF.jpeg

CD894EE4-B4D3-4867-8FEB-3728ECD56B2D.jpeg

6CCDCAF0-3090-487B-89FC-4C1F29D71A8A.jpeg

301CBCFD-DAF2-4927-A819-6BB9992F4E5C.jpeg

Nice.

My 87 H140 has no checking.   The fellow that had it before me used it as a gigging guitar.   It's traveled around with me when I made trips for work over about a 10 year period and been to K'zoo at least 4 times.    If you take care of them, they don't all crack up like shattered glass.

29 minutes ago, houndhome said:

If the pickups are Schallers wouldnt they have 2 adjustment screws per side ?

Not if the rings were changed. There are actually 3 screw mounting holes on each leg.

1 hour ago, houndhome said:

If the pickups are Schallers wouldnt they have 2 adjustment screws per side ?

Schaller pickups actually have 3 holes per side, so you can do a single screw per side.  

The 3 hole per side rings are not present though.  

52 minutes ago, davesultra said:

Dammit Brent, now if you tell us you scored that one for $14.96, I’m going to drive over to your side of the state & kick you square in the arse!!!

Nice score BTW

LMAO!!!   Not that good of a deal Dave!   But I got it for well under the $2000 asking price.  

19 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

Nice.

My 87 H140 has no checking.   The fellow that had it before me used it as a gigging guitar.   It's traveled around with me when I made trips for work over about a 10 year period and been to K'zoo at least 4 times.    If you take care of them, they don't all crack up like shattered glass.

Doesn’t really have anything to do with taking care of them Rich. Climatic conditions can cause checking in the most cared for guitars.  I have a couple…

My 2000 H150 has identical tuning machines right from the factory! 
Nice snatch.  

2 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Such a rare model!  Another historically rare model found.

Not sure I'd be in a rush to modify it already.

Hopefully when you go to sell it, you put the original hardware back on it.  Black and Gold is as classy as they come!

players choice. I would swap the tailpiece. If it's reversable, what is the problem?

I might leave it stock, just for historical purposes.   A lot depends on how it sets up and plays.   I’m not a fan of the Schaller bridge and tailpiece.   The black and gold thing is pretty classic.   I probably should leave it alone.  

46 minutes ago, brentrocks said:

I might leave it stock, just for historical purposes.   A lot depends on how it sets up and plays.   I’m not a fan of the Schaller bridge and tailpiece.   The black and gold thing is pretty classic.   I probably should leave it alone.  

It's your guitar to do what you want, I just know you'll likely put it on the block.  I was just saying if/when you do, to make it stock again.  Someone will be very interested in it... *wink* *hint* 

25 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

It's your guitar to do what you want, I just know you'll likely put it on the block.  I was just saying if/when you do, to make it stock again.  Someone will be very interested in it... *wink* *hint* 

Someone sorry they lost their old 140 due to neck issues?

23 minutes ago, brentrocks said:

Well, this sucks!! The seller is backing out on the deal because he’s pissed that he has to show proof of shipping before he gets his Money. Lol. What a jerk.

Proof by who?  eBay rules?  I know Reverb holds funds until shipped.  Wonder if that's eBay's policy too?

1 hour ago, brentrocks said:

Well, this sucks!! The seller is backing out on the deal because he’s pissed that he has to show proof of shipping before he gets his Money. Lol. What a jerk.

Sorry about that Brent. Proof of shipping is usually as simple as a tracking number. If providing a tracking number is a problem for the seller then it sends up red flags.

2 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Proof by who?  eBay rules?  I know Reverb holds funds until shipped.  Wonder if that's eBay's policy too?

Yep that’s what they do.  They look for a scanned tracking number before funds go.  But the guy should get his money within 48 hours. I suspect he’s backing out for another reason and just using this as an excuse.  

2 hours ago, golferwave said:

Sorry about that Brent. Proof of shipping is usually as simple as a tracking number. If providing a tracking number is a problem for the seller then it sends up red flags.

eBay looks for a scanned tracking number meaning it is en route to destination.  

6 hours ago, brentrocks said:

Caveat Emptor.  You might have dodged a bullet if the seller refused to follow this simple step that is designed to protect from Ebay scammers.

Archived