Heritage Owners Club

I didn't intend on this today, but.... Incoming

PunkKitty

When I got my 535, I had the same issue.   Apparently, the previous owner was a smoker.   It took a while for the wood on the inside to clear up,  the outside was fine after a really good cleaning and shining.   The case was another matter.   As you said,  Febreeze is your friend.  I did take a damp rag and wipe everything down including the nap.  That helped.   I also put it where there was pretty good airflow.  It took some time for it to clear up, but now it's fine.  

If you have one of those ozone air cleaners, that might help even more.

Patience, Kitty.   You need to have patience! ?

That is a tough one. I’d skip the febreeze as in my experience it’s only temporary (and/or just makes it worse). I’d liberally sprinkle it with baking soda; close, let it sit overnight; then vacuum it out. Repeat if necessary, and maybe let it sit outside opened during the day for a while after. Good luck! (And congrats again on the NGD; that’s a beautiful guitar)

5 hours ago, PunkKitty said:

I just received the guitar and was able to play it for a few minutes. This is a stunningly beautiful instrument. The pictures from Dave's don't do it justice, and they are much better photographers than me. The neck is nice and chunky, and the Seths sound fantastic... but... the guitar and case reek of cigar smoke. I smelled it as soon as I brought the box into the house. That was before I opened it. When I opened the case it hit me full force and triggered my smoke allergy. I keep the guitar on a stand with my others, so that will air out over time. I'll have to put the case either in my attic or my basement with a mess of Febreze in it.  Hopefully I won't have to replace the case. 

If you can Kitty open the case and leave it in direct sunlight. And wipe the whole guitar down with naptha.

Beautiful guitar! BS that the smoke issue wasn't revealed to you before purchasing. Hope it works out for you with the case and all. I've had a few over the years that just never lost the smell, are I tried everything known to man! That smoke smell is one of the worst to get rid of.

I think KPB810 has the best idea, baking soda does a better job of absorbing order, not just covering it up.  I have a couple of cases that are rather old and even leaving them open for over a year didn't get rid of the smell; tried Febreeze and dryer sheets.  Still didn't work..

I've had good luck with cedar wood chips/shavings.  Take a one gallon bag and scatter them throughout the case. Leave the case closed and laying flat for about a week and then flip it over. After another week open the case and vacuum. If the smell is really strong you may need to use two bags the first time. Repeat if needed. I buy them on ebay.

22 hours ago, PunkKitty said:

I just received the guitar and was able to play it for a few minutes. This is a stunningly beautiful instrument. The pictures from Dave's don't do it justice, and they are much better photographers than me. The neck is nice and chunky, and the Seths sound fantastic... but... the guitar and case reek of cigar smoke. I smelled it as soon as I brought the box into the house. That was before I opened it. When I opened the case it hit me full force and triggered my smoke allergy. I keep the guitar on a stand with my others, so that will air out over time. I'll have to put the case either in my attic or my basement with a mess of Febreze in it.  Hopefully I won't have to replace the case. 

I'm glad you are keeping it. Sounds marvelous!  

That is one of my first questions I ask when purchasing. I cannot stand smoke odor.

The guitar itself doesn't really smell anymore. I put a box of baking soda in the case last night and haven't opened it since. I bought one of these (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZY5DSWJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). They are supposed to destroy any odor and disinfect anything. It was recommended to me by a friend who has dealt with this before.

Congratulations!  You sure do find some real beauties.  I suspect this one will be around for a long, long time  Enjoy.

Archived