Heritage Owners Club

Metropoulos Super-Plex Mk II

4 hours ago, greatmutah2112 said:

https://youtu.be/k99PkxOb7Zo

George knows how to make a killer amp and this one looks like no exception. My Metroplex has been my main amp for the last 6 years. I don’t know when I’ll be able buy one but I definitely want one. 

That video is wrong.  There are only 24 remaining in his first batch.  :)

3 hours ago, greatmutah2112 said:

I see what you did there!  Congrats man!  Let us know how it is when you get it!

Shall do.  It's a good life...

I've already played her while in the finishing stages.  Here's George with my #1:

20220727_155132 B.jpg

1 hour ago, TalismanRich said:

Where else do you find so many people with their own personal amplifier makers?  

Steiner,  you didn't bribe him with that bottle of Woodford on the shelf behind, did you?

No!  Heavens to Betsy.  I gave him a bottle of Chivas Century - 100 barrels of different single malt whisky mixed down into individual bottles.  We opened it that day!
How else do you talk a guy into selling his prototype  :).

George is a big fan of a good single malt!   He’s a great guy who builds amazing amps.  The whole reason I got my Metroplex in the first place is because I bought speakers from a friend of his.  This was back in February of 2015. Had me meet him at George’s old shop in Burton.  George was literally unloading the speaker cab when I got there.  They invited me in and asked me if I wanted to play an amp.  On the bench was his prototype Metroplex.  I played both that and his original 68 Super Lead side by side with his Yaron and Goldtop.  I was floored.  I sold a couple amps and put down a deposit for mine as soon as I could.  I got the 22nd one ever built.  I’ve taken it up to the shop a couple times.  Once for the updates to give it the 3rd mode (66 mode) and a couple other times just to have it looked over.  Nothing wrong with it but I wanted to have it looked over by the maestro himself to make sure it was still in 100% good health.  Plus I wanted to visit the shop and see how he was doing and play some amps.  I may need to message him and head up sooner or later.  I haven’t seen him in person since before Covid.  

I can’t always afford to buy everything he puts out but I try to spread the word of his stuff where I can.  But this one… I may need to get on. Or wait and see what other Mk II things he has in the pipeline. 

54 minutes ago, greatmutah2112 said:

George is a big fan of a good single malt!   He’s a great guy who builds amazing amps.  The whole reason I got my Metroplex in the first place is because I bought speakers from a friend of his.  This was back in February of 2015. Had me meet him at George’s old shop in Burton.  George was literally unloading the speaker cab when I got there.  They invited me in and asked me if I wanted to play an amp.  On the bench was his prototype Metroplex.  I played both that and his original 68 Super Lead side by side with his Yaron and Goldtop.  I was floored.  I sold a couple amps and put down a deposit for mine as soon as I could.  I got the 22nd one ever built.  I’ve taken it up to the shop a couple times.  Once for the updates to give it the 3rd mode (66 mode) and a couple other times just to have it looked over.  Nothing wrong with it but I wanted to have it looked over by the maestro himself to make sure it was still in 100% good health.  Plus I wanted to visit the shop and see how he was doing and play some amps.  I may need to message him and head up sooner or later.  I haven’t seen him in person since before Covid.  

I can’t always afford to buy everything he puts out but I try to spread the word of his stuff where I can.  But this one… I may need to get on. Or wait and see what other Mk II things he has in the pipeline. 

The man is a genius.  Dedicated to a fault.  I have a Super Plex that I'm going to hang on to until it's cold, dead hands time.  The DVL-1 is my desert island amp (two channels with two gain stages each plus a boost [vol, gain, bass and treble] and mid-cut that are always available) - I've never played a multi stage amp that sounds good between stages without tweaking.  This one nails it.  I have no idea how he sorted that out and kept all those gain stages friendly with each other.  To hear George talk, he's gone even further with the MK II.  
When you go, take your wallet.  I was forewarned: "Once you hear it, you can't unhear it."

7 hours ago, Steiner said:

The man is a genius.  Dedicated to a fault.  I have a Super Plex that I'm going to hang on to until it's cold, dead hands time.  The DVL-1 is my desert island amp (two channels with two gain stages each plus a boost [vol, gain, bass and treble] and mid-cut that are always available) - I've never played a multi stage amp that sounds good between stages without tweaking.  This one nails it.  I have no idea how he sorted that out and kept all those gain stages friendly with each other.  To hear George talk, he's gone even further with the MK II.  
When you go, take your wallet.  I was forewarned: "Once you hear it, you can't unhear it."

I’ve heard that same phrase from George before and he’s 100% right every time he says it. 

That thing you mentioned with the shared EQ on the DVL and how you don’t have to tweak controls between gain stages, well that’s exactly how the Metroplex is for me. When I’d gig mine in my last band, I could live on modded 68 mode for my heavy tones and either use the solo boost or a boost pedal to goose it for leads. And then I’d footswitch to 66 mode for my lighter crunch and get my cleans by rolling back my volume. I didn’t have many songs where I needed to go between clean and crunch and heavy all the time but I could use my Heritages or Gibsons and set the neck pickup volume lower for songs that needed that. And I never needed to change my settings. It always sounded good regardless of which mode I dialed it around. 

I love the synergy/egnater module amp system and that has been my go to system for a number of years. They are all tube preamps that go into all tube power sections. I have had my eye on the metro plex for a few years as it is designed by George. Shall I pull the trigger on one of these?

https://www.synergyamps.com/meet-the-maker-metropoulos/

2 hours ago, rwinking said:

I love the synergy/egnater module amp system and that has been my go to system for a number of years. They are all tube preamps that go into all tube power sections. I have had my eye on the metro plex for a few years as it is designed by George. Shall I pull the trigger on one of these?

https://www.synergyamps.com/meet-the-maker-metropoulos/

The write-up on George is IMHO true.  He has created the best Plexi amps available.  Let us know if you go this route and your findings.

Did Bruce Egnater have a hand in the Synergy system?

Yes. All of the Synergy stuff is based on the Bruce Egnater MTS system. The deal with Synergy is that all of the old modules will work in the Synergy stuff and vice versa. All of the modules are designed by people like George, Friedman, Bogner, Freyette, etc. Kind of a who's who of boutique builders. Like I've said in the past, I can have one amp with a lot of different preamps. The fenders really sound like fenders, Vox sounds like Vox, etc. because that is what they are....clones of old preamps.

The Egnater stuff you can even swap out the tubes in the power section to make a Plexi run on EL34s and then have a fender run on 6L6s.

I am pretty sure I will go ahead and order the Metro Plex after hearing you guys' testimonials.

Zero experience with Egnater’s modular stuff or the Synergy stuff, but I do own a 50 watt hand built amp from the seminars he runs.  I attended one back in 2016 and built that amp there.  Awesome experience and the amp sounds great. Hot rodded 800 style tones all day.  Just a little darker.  Plus Bruce’s involvement means you won’t fail building your amp. 

Archived