Heritage Owners Club

Speaker Swaps

DetroitBlues

Earlier this year, I bought a used Marshall DSL20C from a cool music studio near me.

The amp was okay, sounded better when run through other cabinets with better speakers.

So a trip to @Steiner Ranch, I was able to try Celestion Greenback and Creamback loaded cabinets.

The amp sounded so much better, so I left there with a couple Scumback speakers to try.  M75 (think vintage greenback, 35oz magnet, 75hz.) and H75 (again, vintage greenback, closer to a creamback, 50oz magnet, 75hz).

I was sold on a speaker upgrade.  Have to return the Scumback speakers and bought myself a Celestion Creamback Neo ( Neodymium magnet, 75hz).  I was drawn to this option over a normal Creamback because it was 1/2 the weight.  For combo amps, even smaller ones, any way to reduce the weight is welcomed.

Played it last night for a couple hours, I really love the sound of the amp.  Even the Ultragain channel, which I almost never used previously sounded really good (up the volume, down the gain).  Sounds killer.

Sounds like an interesting option, may need to snag one to pair with my latest concoction. I've got a Jensen jet tornado neo thats an excellent speaker; I'd almost compare it to my favorite aerobic workout of a speaker, the EV; clear/transparent, full range, deep bass, all at a fraction of its weight. 

• 3 weeks later...

Scumbacks are great speakers. I have 5 of them, M75, M75 PVC (x2), and M55 PVC (x2). I have a single 12 cab, 2 2x12 cabs and they can be linked for 1 4x12. All of them are open back, I’m not a fan of the closed back sound. 

On 10/1/2022 at 10:00 PM, zguitar71 said:

Scumbacks are great speakers. I have 5 of them, M75, M75 PVC (x2), and M55 PVC (x2). I have a single 12 cab, 2 2x12 cabs and they can be linked for 1 4x12. All of them are open back, I’m not a fan of the closed back sound. 

Guess that is an interesting point, my DSL20C is actually an open back cabinet.  Usually Marshalls are closed back cabinets.

On 9/9/2022 at 8:42 AM, Steiner said:

I've heard good reviews of the neo creamback.  The weight savings is a plus!  Congrats.

I’m finding as i get older i value the weight of neo speakers more and more.  Plenty of great sounding neo speakers out there.  I’ve got Eminence neos and like them a lot.  

Archived