Heritage Owners Club

535 v. 575

Philapete

I have a Sweet 16 that I love and play daily. I also have a boutique carved archtop  (Comins) I also play every day. I'm considering purchase of a 575. I found a nice one and the seller is "motivated." I'm wondering if I should be considering a 535 rather than another carved guitar? Any thoughts?  

The 575 is essentially a Sweet 16 with a thicker top.  It doesn't feedback nearly as easily.  The 575 is not quite as resonate as the 16.

It depends on the music you play.  If you're looking for similar sound, go for the 575.  The 535 is a laminated top and back.  It is a different beast.

2 hours ago, Philapete said:

I have a Sweet 16 that I love and play daily. I also have a boutique carved archtop  (Comins) I also play every day. I'm considering purchase of a 575. I found a nice one and the seller is "motivated." I'm wondering if I should be considering a 535 rather than another carved guitar? Any thoughts?  

The first thing to consider is the scale (length from bridge to nut) length on each of your guitars.  And every feature has an impact on play-ability and tone.

The Sweet 16 is a carved, full hollow body with 25.5 scale.

H-575's are also carved, full hollow body, but with 24.75 scale.

H-535's are laminate top/back solid rims, semi-hollow with 24.75 scale.  This is probably one of the most versatile electric guitar body types available for all types of music.

All that means the final decision is up to you...and your musical playing preferences.  Good hunting. 

6 hours ago, Steiner said:

The 575 is essentially a Sweet 16 with a thicker top.  It doesn't feedback nearly as easily.  The 575 is not quite as resonate as the 16.

It depends on the music you play.  If you're looking for similar sound, go for the 575.  The 535 is a laminated top and back.  It is a different beast.

Steiner owned the 535 below and sold it to me.  He loves the 575 and couldn't connect with the 535.  Oddly, I have the same trouble in reverse.  A 535 seems built just for me. 

img_5202_std.jpg

The Sweet 16 has a solid carved Spruce top.  The 575 has a SOLID carved Maple top.

The 575 and the 535 are completely different beasts.  The 535 and very close in sound to a 335.  The 575 is more based off a ES-175 but the solid carved maple top of the 575 makes it sound tighter, punchier, and snappier. 

The 535 might be a good change from the other two. The 575 is also a different animal than the other two with the set in pickups and a maple top vs spruce but much closer to them than a 535. The immediate comfort of the body shape either sitting or standing is a big plus in my book. The guitar can be played like a Les Paul or used for jazz and sound like an ES175. The 535 is great in settings where a sold wood top and hollow guitar will feed back. I had big problems with a trombone behind me that caused a Super Eagle I used to have to feed back. I switched to an ES 347 (g brand and very similar to a 535) and retained much of the tone I wanted but none of the feed back. I’ve also never play a 575 I liked, there is something about the solid Maple top that doesn’t work for me, in that type of guitar I greatly prefer laminate. So… my vote is for the 535. 

I had a 575 in blueburst that rightfully went to Gittfiddler 10 years ago.  I just didn’t bond with it. But sure wish I had it today!!! I’m more of a 535 555 kind of guy. And I love my Millie DC!

I remember when I was looking at the H-575 some years back.  I had played 2 or 3 different ones over a few months. For some reason it just didn't flip my switch.   When Lyle brought his 525 to PSP, it was just the opposite.  I loved the sound,  loved the feel, it was just ... right,  like my 535.   That's why I jumped on it when he decided to let it go.

In the end you just need to play them and then decide which way to go.  

18 hours ago, ElNumero said:

I had a 575 in blueburst that rightfully went to Gittfiddler 10 years ago.  I just didn’t bond with it. But sure wish I had it today!!! I’m more of a 535 555 kind of guy. And I love my Millie DC!

Will, you have first dibs if I ever lose my mind and put "Neptune" up for sale.  ?

3 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Will, you have first dibs if I ever lose my mind and put "Neptune" up for sale.  ?

Keep the Neptune, sell that old, yellowed natural maple Gitfiddler.

2 hours ago, Steiner said:

Keep the Neptune, sell that old, yellowed natural maple Gitfiddler.

@Steiner...This "old, yellowed natural maple" abomination is so hideous, I'd feel terrible passing it on to another HOC'er. 

It must forever remain in seclusion in the darkest depths of my on-site storage room.  I promised Jay Wolfe I'd never let "Quilty" ever see the light of day...ever. 

She was, of course a catastrophic effort to salvage a blundered build by Heritage, placing the reverse carved backside of a planned Sweet 16 onto the front of a lowly H-575.  So it must remain in perpetual seclusion so as to not offend HOC'ers.  :rolleyes:

2vheritageh575custombody2qbj

Thar she blows!  Offend away!  I promise not to contact Jay.  Is there a drool emoji?  I need one here.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived