Heritage Owners Club

Homecoming - Harmony 8418 Reissue

DetroitBlues

A couple years ago, I purchased a brand new Harmony 8418 handwired reissue combo amp from Reverb (an exclusive, limited run edition with Harmony).  Only three tubes 

However I found I played the amp infrequently to the point of going a few months without ever firing it up. Made the decision to sell it because it doesn't get played, thus under-appreciated for what it is.  Maybe someone else who loves the Class A sound in a small package may enjoy her.  

The amp design is very similar to that of a tweed Fender Champ.  While I cannot confirm the circuit is the same, it sure does sound the same.  

I had taken the amp to Berkley Music Company, local consignment shop that sells high end stuff (played a 1964 Stratocaster).  This store you'll find vintage Martins, Gibsons, Fenders, Gretsch, etc hanging on the wall.  Their rates are very reasonable and they will turn away guitars that aren't sellable.  One day, I need to take a video of that shop.  I nearly bought a 1930's Gretsch resonator for $400 last weekend.  

They have a small demo room with some amps for you to try.  Inside this room, on a shelf at eye level, was my Harmony 8418.  I think it may have been there since last year.  People play it and like it, but not enough to bring it home. It became a staple amp whenever my son visited the store.  He liked the amp and loved to try out guitars through it.

My son found a rather cool PRS SE Silversky and he fell in love with it.  Plugged into the Harmony and it was magical.  Sounded really good.  He asked me to try it and I loved the guitar and how good the amp sounded.   Adjacent to the Harmony was a handwired Fender Tweed Champ reissue.  Knowing the amp circuits were similar, I decided to do a bit of an A/B comparison.  The Harmony and the Tweed were very close in sounds, low volume clean and high volume natural breakup.  I tried a couple other interesting guitars in the shop through that amp and I still loved it.  So while my son was buying this PRS SE, I decided to bring my Harmony amp back home.   I love to rock out and Marshall usually gets played, the Harmony amp still has a place with me.  It has an old school tone and vibe I cannot dismiss.  

So be it if it collects a little dust.  Shame on those who didn't pull the trigger.  I get to enjoy her some more instead. If you have a chance to play one, give it a shot.  For a handwired amp, with USA made components (the Transformer), and an Italian made Jesen speaker, you can't go wrong.

Glad to see that one that got away made it's way back home!

I've always had a thing for single ended amps and simple tweed style circuits. They may not be as versatile as other more complex amps, but the sounds they do make are wonderful and have a tendency to stick with you.  

I can dig it. I keep rolling amps, but I found what I consider to be "the one". My days of amp rolling may be over. Finally. Congrats on everybody else passing up a beauty.

Archived