Heritage Owners Club

Which Heritage models had solid tops?

ElNumero

I was just wondering- which models had a solid top? Was there ever a Heritage model that resembled a G ES336?

Millennium is probably the closest.

The Gibson CS-336 is a semi-hollow electric guitar manufactured by Gibson Guitar Corporation's Custom, Art & Historic Division. Introduced in 2001, the CS-336 was the Custom Shop's first "tonally carved" guitar, meaning that the back, center block, and sides are carved from one single piece of wood.

Body specs on ES 336 states 13 inches wide by 16 inches long body.

Millennium states 13 inches wide by 17 5/8 inches long body.

Gibson carves their body out of one piece of mahogany with the top added while Heritage has a slab with the top and back added.

Millennium block 2.png

es 336.jpg

4 hours ago, Steiner said:

Isn't the LP Supreme the same?

It was similar.  The LP Supreme has a carved top/back and similar mahogany sandwich inner core. 

The CS-356, like the CS-336 also had a carved top, with a hollowed out Mahogany back/sides, the same as the Millennium.  However, Heritage offered a few variants of the H-155 and Millennium, the higher end versions (e.g. Millie Eagle) had a LP Supreme-ish carved flame maple back.

10 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

It was similar.  The LP Supreme has a carved top/back and similar mahogany sandwich inner core. 

The CS-356, like the CS-336 also had a carved top, with a hollowed out Mahogany back/sides, the same as the Millennium.  However, Heritage offered a few variants of the H-155 and Millennium, the higher end versions (e.g. Millie Eagle) had a LP Supreme-ish carved flame maple back.

Succinct and comprehensive; thank you!

Solid tops;  Maple (575), Spruce (Golden Eagle, Super Eagle, American Eagle), Maple Cap (150, 155, 157)

Laminate tops: 525, 535, 555, 550

Not a complete review but models that I remember.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 3:25 PM, skydog52 said:

Millennium is probably the closest.

The Gibson CS-336 is a semi-hollow electric guitar manufactured by Gibson Guitar Corporation's Custom, Art & Historic Division. Introduced in 2001, the CS-336 was the Custom Shop's first "tonally carved" guitar, meaning that the back, center block, and sides are carved from one single piece of wood.

Side note- they were made in Memphis along with all semi and hollow body guitars until the Memphis facility shut down in 2019. Since then ALL Gibson guitars are made in Nashville. 

4 minutes ago, ElNumero said:

Side note- they were made in Memphis along with all semi and hollow body guitars until the Memphis facility shut down in 2019. Since then ALL Gibson guitars are made in Nashville. 

Did you forget about Bozeman Montana, home of Gibson's Acoustic manufacturing?

I have the CS-356 which is the upscale version of the 336 . They are a carved top as well . The closest I've found to the 336 other than that is my Jaros Gatlinburg , built by Tony Nagy  ( Gruhn's / Gibson) .  They are unfortunately rare but worth the look. They don't have the warmth of the ES 339/335  H535 but cut well in the mix. 

Jaros gatlinburg.jpg

On 9/28/2022 at 3:40 PM, DetroitBlues said:

Did you forget about Bozeman Montana, home of Gibson's Acoustic manufacturing?

Not at all.  They are still going strong. I meant electric semis and hollow bodies. 

11 hours ago, greywolf66 said:

I have the CS-356 which is the upscale version of the 336 . They are a carved top as well . The closest I've found to the 336 other than that is my Jaros Gatlinburg , built by Tony Nagy  ( Gruhn's / Gibson) .  They are unfortunately rare but worth the look. They don't have the warmth of the ES 339/335  H535 but cut well in the mix. 

Jaros gatlinburg.jpg

Very nice 

10 hours ago, ElNumero said:

Not at all.  They are still going strong. I meant electric semis and hollow bodies. 

Considering the construction of an acoustic is closer to a ES that a solid body guitar, one would think those guitars would have been sent to Montana.

On 9/30/2022 at 7:46 AM, DetroitBlues said:

Considering the construction of an acoustic is closer to a ES that a solid body guitar, one would think those guitars would have been sent to Montana.

I believe the Boseman facility is a very small group of highly trained luthiers specialized in just acoustic guitar builds. They probably couldn’t handle the volume even if they were trained in building ES guitars 

Archived