Heritage Owners Club

GARY MOORE MODEL SPECS/TAILPIECE

Heritage1970

Thanks for everyone's help in advance! I have a 1989 Gary Moore model I'm working on. First off, does anyone know if any "one off" Gary Moore's were made? I don't think there were? What I mean by that is- didn't they all come with Schaller "Quick change" tailpieces and hardware? This one has a LP style stop bar with a Gotoh bridge on it. It was made in 1991. Pretty sure Heritage wasn't using any Gotoh parts in '91, but again- maybe this was a custom order or something? Although I'm thinking no. I put pictures here- another model is on the left, like how I've seen all of them, including Gary's, and mine is on the right with the different hardware.

I'm looking to put this back to original specs. 

So I found a quick change tailpiece, but now found out a previous owner had converted the tailpiece bushings to inch from metric. Schaller products are all metric, so this won't fit. Obviously swapping out the bushings is the thing to do, and it looks like that's what I will end up doing. But wondering if anyone knows anywhere that sells Schaller studs for the older quick change tailpieces, but with inch threading instead of metric? Or know of anyone who makes custom parts?

I'm not super experienced with swapping out bushings, so if I can just find studs with inch threads, I won't have to do that. Seems pretty impossible to find these though. Thanks again for all info and help!

heritage gary moore with schaller hardware 2.jpe

heritage gm non schaller.jpg

Considering Schaller is made in Germany, you're going to be out of luck finding non-metric parts made by them.

I've done bushing swaps a few times, not that hard to do.

Out of curiosity, why going back to stock?  Is it going to be a collectors piece for display or do you plan on playing it?

28 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

Considering Schaller is made in Germany, you're going to be out of luck finding non-metric parts made by them.

I've done bushing swaps a few times, not that hard to do.

Out of curiosity, why going back to stock?  Is it going to be a collectors piece for display or do you plan on playing it?

I know- this part is impossible to find I think. I just want to go back to stock cause I always like things the way they originally were. I know many dislike the Schaller roller bridge and quick change stop bar, but I've always liked them and the guitar just seems "wrong" with these other parts on. Pretty crazy to me that someone swapped out bushings to put a standard tailpiece in. I don't know, I just always like keeping things original, even when I play the guitar, which I do with all of mine, including this one. Definitely going to play it, just feels "wrong" with these parts on it. I was originally wondering if it was custom ordered, but I'm thinking someone just swapped parts at some point as I've never seen another one like this. 

Doubtful this was a custom order.  Most likely they were changed out almost immediately after receiving if they are the same age or close to it.  I can understand why you want them to be reverted to original.  I don't have an issue being original.  The roller bridge and tailpiece are easier to use since they don't dig into your palm.  Many of us swap them out to be more genuine to the original design for that particular guitar design from the 50's.

38 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

Doubtful this was a custom order.  Most likely they were changed out almost immediately after receiving if they are the same age or close to it.  I can understand why you want them to be reverted to original.  I don't have an issue being original.  The roller bridge and tailpiece are easier to use since they don't dig into your palm.  Many of us swap them out to be more genuine to the original design for that particular guitar design from the 50's.

Yeah I'm thinking it wasn't a custom order either. From what I understand the Moore's were gone almost as fast as they were announced, so I doubt anyone could have ordered a custom one! I get wanting this to be like the 50's design for sure. Honestly, I can't say the guitar is bad right now. Plays real nice. It's just... I have a weird problem where I keep hearing the guitar say "please put me back to original specs!" lol. Just a preference thing.

Archived