Heritage Owners Club

I just gave away two Heritage guitars

LK155

Yes, it really happened.  It could be a sign of encroaching senility, but I'd like to think otherwise.

For a couple of years now, I've been aware that too much stuff had managed to accumulate in my music room.  Seven guitars, two amps, a recording setup, a drum machine, a bunch of pedals.  I began to realize that the only guitars I really need are the ones I gravitate to when sitting down to noodle, or to record one of my home-brew songs.  So the Taylor acoustic got sold, as did the PRS SE.  The Taylor I miss, as it recorded really well and sounded good.  Never got comfortable with the size of it, though.  The PRS SE went pretty quickly too.  And the whole debacle with trying to get the Kammerer cherry guitar across the border to Steiner has been documented elsewhere here.  That left me with three Heritages, a Ron Kirn tele, a really nice PRS CE24 from the early 90's, and a Lakland bass.

And what did I usually pick up for noodling?  Either the PRS CE24 or the red H535. 

Last month I had a birthday.  Not one of those significant ones ending with a zero, but an astonishingly high number nonetheless.  That got me thinking that I should keep going on my inventory reduction process.  Some of you may know that we have two sons.  They always try to organize something to commemorate my birthdays.  So I considered.....they both have guitars, both have amps, both play a bit.  Why don't I try to help them out?  So I concocted a plan.  I would gift each of them one of my guitars.  No strings attached (well, no financial strings anyway), they wouldn't be buying them.  My gift to them.  My conditions were simple:  take one of my guitars, make an honest effort to learn how to play it, and in a couple of years, decide if it's a keeper or not.  If not, it would come back to me.  What a deal, right?  The choices I presented to them were:  the H155 Millie, the blue H150 20th Anniversary, or the Kirn tele.  Andrew chose the H155, and Chris the H150.  I think that, compared to what they already had in-house, those two Heritages were in a different universe in terms of materials, build quality, playability, and sound.  Once they accepted that fact that I was serious about this, they got quite enthusiastic, and those two guitars how have new homes.  I've added a pic below of each of them.

I'm hoping this turns out for the best.  Chris is extremely busy with an energetic 16 month old daughter, so I don't expect him to be able to devote a whole lot of time to learning the ins and outs of that lovely H150.  Andrew, on the other hand, has no such excuse.  I'll be monitoring their progress, and I have visiting rights to both instruments.

So the deed is now done.  I still have one too many guitars, and two too many amps, neither of which has been turned on for a couple of years.

I've always felt that the most important aspect of parenting is being able to open doors for my kids, and hopefully they'll enjoy the process I've tried to start.

XogQ6WF.jpgnbDgrpa.jpg?1

2 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Excellent decision-tree analysis and execution.

Now they'll be required to laugh at all of your 'dad jokes' going forward.

1 hour ago, DetroitBlues said:

You’re a great dad.  If you’re looking to adopt another son, keep me in mind…

+1 on both accounts.  Well done.

13 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

The way I figure it,  the kids are going to get the guitars sooner or later.   I'm not planning to take them with me!

Put your ashes in them.  That would make sweet coffins. 

On 10/7/2022 at 3:33 PM, TalismanRich said:

The way I figure it,  the kids are going to get the guitars sooner or later.   I'm not planning to take them with me!

On the flip side, that's an issue for some families and by gifting in life you forgo having to chop up then tax an estate. I really try to encourage my folks to spend money enjoying their later years because I want nothing to do with the mess that would arise if I'm around when they pass. 

When a vintage guitar shop owner I knew passed he wanted the shop to keep going. He didn't plan it right though. In order for a few of the sons to keep it running they basically had to sell all the cool inventory over the period of a few months to buy back their share of the estate. So? So the place lost 100% of it's charm and became like a mini GC rather than this nifty eclectic guitar spot full of beautiful old instruments. And, over a short period they lost interest then one son took it over for himself, a guy who knows jack about instruments or music then just deals bottom dollar with a little bit of USA inventory. 

17 hours ago, deytookerjaabs said:

On the flip side, that's an issue for some families and by gifting in life you forgo having to chop up then tax an estate. I really try to encourage my folks to spend money enjoying their later years because I want nothing to do with the mess that would arise if I'm around when they pass. 

When a vintage guitar shop owner I knew passed he wanted the shop to keep going. He didn't plan it right though. In order for a few of the sons to keep it running they basically had to sell all the cool inventory over the period of a few months to buy back their share of the estate. So? So the place lost 100% of it's charm and became like a mini GC rather than this nifty eclectic guitar spot full of beautiful old instruments. And, over a short period they lost interest then one son took it over for himself, a guy who knows jack about instruments or music then just deals bottom dollar with a little bit of USA inventory. 

There won't be enough estate to trigger estate taxes in my state.    A business is a different type of entity than an private estate and a few guitars.

Besides, my son has already staked a claim for the guitar and amp.  My daughter has no interest in any of them.   She can have the dishes and the furniture and probably the house.

• 5 weeks later...

I’m still waiting for the UPS truck.  Did you get my address wrong? Do I have to pay customs fees?

Archived