Heritage Owners Club

NAD

Well I just traded one of my mandolins (Breedlove USA FF model), for this killer hand built amp head.

It's a Marshall JCM 800 2204 head replica made my duet partner Ryan Hawthorn. He used the best parts he could find (Mercury Magnetic transformers, etc) , and the hand-wired circuit is a work of art! Soon I will open it up and take pics, but for right now, I just want to rock out on it! I also bought the matching unloaded bottom from him and put a 90 Watt Alnico Cream Celestion into it. The bottom has a three way back that can be sealed/ported/open. I have it set up for sealed which I like. Both cabinets were custom built by Mojotone.

It's funny, for years, I was sticking to low powered amps but lately I got this, and my 50 watt Mesa Fillmore. There's just something about the bottom and punch I've been liking from the bigger tubes lately. And this amp has the classic JCM Marshall tone which I've always liked. The master volume actually sounds decent on this one too! And it sounds great with humbuckers and single coils too. I've been rocking my Zemaitis with Wolfetone Legends, and my Esquire build with the hot Cavalier bridge pickup, and I've been having a ball. I also put a Red Witch Omnia germanium boost in front of it, and wowee, the party was on!

Soon as I knock out my weekend gigs, I will make a demo, so stay tuned!

223871588_MarshallbyHawthorn.jpg.b54bdbd7e17302e2964bc984a797d069.jpg

Wow! Very nice. The big amps are a thing of beauty. I can’t play them out because they are too loud but the big bold sound can’t be matched with a 5 watter. It’s a feel as much as a sound. That rig looks really nice and clean. I can’t wait to see the insides!

I had a 2210 back in the day.  You're spot on - big bottles ARE fun!  The cream AlNiCo are superb at getting that classic sound out.  Happy NADs!

2 hours ago, Steiner said:

I had a 2210 back in the day.  You're spot on - big bottles ARE fun!  The cream AlNiCo are superb at getting that classic sound out.  Happy NADs!

Thanks, I was amazed that the Cream AlNiCo didn't really need any break in. I wonder what it's going to sound like after a few weeks of rocking.

3 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

The construction is really clean and tidy.   Quality Sozo caps and beefy transformers.    Very nice!

My friend Ryan, who built this amp, has always been meticulous about building things. He started with handwired pedals, and some of the ones he's built are absolutely killer. He built this combination rangemaster and fuzz a while back, and I love it, and before that, I never liked any fuzz pedal,,,

HB1.jpg.bb1e5588652a56d1a16fe383f2c9e20b.jpg

HB2.jpg.f11c93e197ce912a67edcef881864593.jpg

8 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Very nice!  That some really clean wiring work in there.  Congratulations!

Had a chance to play a 100 watt amp through a vintage Marshall 4x12 cabinet.  NOTHING sounds as glorious as a big bottle amp pushing through a big cabinet.   

I haven't had the chance to play this one through a 4x12, but I sure would like to :) 

On 10/8/2022 at 3:00 PM, rockabilly69 said:

One more tranny pic

Trannies.jpg.6d204b3e1454b360c395f0694fea6622.jpg

I don't think you can call it a tranny anymore....

1 hour ago, DetroitBlues said:

If only it was mine.  The small Marshall DSL20 to the left is mine.

I like the DSL amps, I already have a beautiful 18 Watt Marshall style head that another friend built, or otherwise, I would have looked at one of them for lower volume Marshall tone recording.

The reason I really traded for this amp was that I wanted my friend to end up with my Breedlove mandolin. He uses it on stage, and really loves it more than the one that he bought for himself. I used that Breedlove to record on many of the songs that we play, so now our live sound is very similar to what I got on the recordings.

And one day while rehearsing at his house, I heard how good the master volume on this amp worked, which took me by surprise, as I heard the classic JCM 800 tone at a decent volume. I also knew that he wasn't using this amp as he preferred his 18 watt Marshall style combo that he built (which is STELLAR). So I offered him a trade for the head because he had into it what I would have sold that mando for.  And I bought the unloaded cab from him to make the deal better for him. 

Funny thing, I'm more an American amp fan, especially tweed Fenders, but every now and then, I hear a cool old rock and roll song with Marshall that sounds great. So it's nice to have this amp around. 

Archived