Heritage Owners Club

Nut Slot Height

zdzislaw

Seems, similar to at least higher guitars, Heritage cuts it nut slot heights high.  Of course easily remediable with care.

My (new to me Sweet 16 seems fine except for the B string which is out of whack with the 1st and 3d strings on the high side.  That has led me to look at my other guitars (including Heritages) in an endeavour to play as nicely as the Sweet 16.

Do others have the same impression re nut slot height?  Or have I become delusional?

On 10/16/2022 at 5:15 PM, zdzislaw said:

I believe my point relates to string height above the first fret.  The amount of string exposed above the nut can be remedied by sanding down the top of the nut.

Yes this correct. And all of my heritages have need work on the nut, they were all cut badly. I have it so when the note is depressed at the first fret it doesn't go sharp. I cut the nut slot very slow and methodically till I get it to the perfect depth. I have ruined a few nuts in the process :) There was a learning curve!

Depending on the age of the Heritage, older models were intended for a final setup at a dealer.  At least that's how the rumor goes, so the nut slots were always too high.  

Newer Heritages, like my 2016 535 and my 2020 H137 do not have that problem at least from what I've heard.  It's possible mine were good because Pete Farmer did the final setup at the Factory.  Not sure 100% though.

According to the Galloup School of Lutherie (Which was started by Dan Erlewine of Stew Mac fame) Handbook the distance between the string at the nut and the first fret starting from the bass side is E = .025, A = .025, D = .022, G = .022, B = .018, and E = .018. Of course it all depends on the player's style of music and finger board attack. 

Yup, sounds about right.

The method I have begun to use is to place a capo on top of the first fret and then to pick the string. If it doesn’t sitar then the height above the second fret is a good guide for height above first fret, which translates into nut slot height for the corresponding. Of course adjust for picking style and gauge thickness (heavier gauge vibrates less at the string ends).

Anyway, my H140 is now much easier to play.  I admit I did cut some slots too low, but that is why God invented repair powder/dust. ?

I have been looking for a caul at the usual places (StewMac, All Parts, Amazon)  - no luck.

I have used a cut up credit card, with layering taped over the card cut with from card paper to meet the height I need matched against the feeler gauges. It is pliable and does have the straight edge, it can be taped to the neck so it is flat on the fretboard.

• 1 month later...

Archived