Heritage Owners Club

Neal Schon is a Heritage fan

PunkKitty

Guess I'm not as big of a fan of Journey as I thought.  My first album as Journey's, Escape album.  Which may have been my only record purchase because my step-father had a very expensive record player I wasn't allowed to use.  So I bought cassettes and eventually CD's...

Yeah, I love his melodic playing.  Some of his solos are in the upper side of my favorites list.  like the one above.  The solos in Who's Crying Now is genius in my opinion.  Simple, melodic, and catchy.

the solo in Lights is one of the best ever in a pop record imo. and I was never a big fan of their production. however.

A song about LA originally, Steve Perry's first with the band.

nice goin Neil!

I had the first couple of Journey albums,  pre-Steve Perry.  It was a totally different band, leaning more towards prog rock than pop.

I've listened to Neal ever since he joined Santana in 1971.  Anyone who had listened to Santana's first two albums could immediately tell that the new kid was tearing up this solo. He ripped off this one on their 3rd album.  At the time, he was 17.

I was never a fan of Journey. I liked their first album with Anynsley Dunbar on drums but when they got into that corporate rock sound like foreigner, styxx, survivor, etc. I kind of didn't care. I do like Neil Schon's playing and you are right in that he plays these wonderful memorable solos that perfectly fit the song. That is a talent for sure. You can hear on Jouney's first album that even when he was young he was doing just that.

What was that Fender he was playing on that Santana video? It looked like a Heritage Stat.

20 hours ago, fxdx99 said:

Nice he calls out Heritage, but nonsense noodling in the clip

I wish I could do nonsense noodling like that. That little twitter/tiktok video just shows that he was never a one dimensional player.

27 minutes ago, rwinking said:

I was never a fan of Journey. I liked their first album with Anynsley Dunbar on drums but when they got into that corporate rock sound like foreigner, styxx, survivor, etc. I kind of didn't care. I do like Neil Schon's playing and you are right in that he plays these wonderful memorable solos that perfectly fit the song. That is a talent for sure. You can hear on Jouney's first album that even when he was young he was doing just that.

What was that Fender he was playing on that Santana video? It looked like a Heritage Stat.

Appears to be an older Aerodyne Stratocaster.  I don't think they had Floyd Rose's on them at the time.  That model has recently been reintroduced, but nothing like the originals. 

21 hours ago, rwinking said:

Ditto here...and anything Aynsley Dunbar did is cool in my books! Especially like his Retaliation stuff. I even found an old ADR LP in Chicago, after we came to a screeching halt to check out a record store we were driving by.

And oops, it's Neal, not Neil!

On 10/18/2022 at 11:47 AM, rwinking said:

I wish I could do nonsense noodling like that. That little twitter/tiktok video just shows that he was never a one dimensional player.

Me too, the guy was squeezing out some good harmonics there. Hell, he was just having fun on his new Heritage, it looks like a Custom Core.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to comment on a thread from last year, but that's a Fender Custom Shop Showmaster, which is set-neck like a Stat but with an even smoother neck heel.

I don't think you can get a new one anymore, even from the Custom Shop. Used ones can be found, but they're $$$$.

There was a line of Korean-made Fender Showmasters in the early '00s which were very nice. Neck heel felt like a neck-through, and the bodies were thin with carved tops like an Ibanez Sabre / S-series. They were going in the mid 3-figures used 10 years ago, now in the high 3-figures.

Archived