Heritage Owners Club

Am I missing something?

PunkKitty

I stopped at CME today to look at Custom Cores side by side with a standard h-150. Outside of the aging, I really couldn't find that much different. I liked the feeling of the aged guitar, but I can't justify spending $3k+ for it. I may look into aging the finish on one of my 150's. I can also install a set of Lollars, Antiques, Throbaks, etc, to make mine sound different.

The spec differences are on the website. More attention to detail on the CCs and electronics etc................

The models that went through my hands I was impressed with. To each their own.

I had one customer change the pickups immediately on a CC and changed it to 50s wiring. I told the factory about it and they said they might go to 50s wiring.

I heard last week that standard models will be coming through with Heritage labeled tuners soon. 

I was lucky enough to grab my CC last Christmas when the Fiend had them for $3k. At that price point, it was definitely worth the $500 upgrade, even though it already was covered in Brent's DNA. ? I upgraded my Standard, and have about the same amount in that. Would I pay $4100 for one? Probably not. But if you compare the value of what you are getting as opposed to an R9, it's a no-brainer. It's ultimately up to the purchaser to decide whether the CC is right for them or not. I figure that if nothing else, I could always resell it for what I paid for it, but that thought has never crossed my mind. (I did end up selling both of my LPs to the same guy, though.)

Yep, I heard the neck angle to the body was slightly different, the consistency in weight ranges, the headstock is slightly larger.  Custom pickups, different hardware are in there too.

But really, I think you noticed something bigger here.  The quality of the Standard line H150 is so good, its hard to justify the price difference.  Maybe its not so much the CC is so expensive, but rather the standard line is so good, its the best value on the market?

As far as models go, I'd like to see the return of Gold Tops and Black Beauties, maybe even white guitars with gold hardware (I've been josen for a white LPC).  Maybe some three pickup models and more with P90's?  If they are selling plaintops, they have the "lessor" woods available for opaque tops.

Different headstock size, different headstock inlay, '59 neck carve, different neck angle, Parson Street pickups (A3 wax-potted ?), weight limited *, Heritage tuners **, deluxe case.

*Make sure you check the weight, as all Cores were supposed to be under 8.5lbs.  A reputable dealer told me that Heritage notified them 6 months or so that Heritage will no longer guarantee the weight limit of 8.5lbs 

** The Heritage preparatory tuners look cool but they SUCK!  I had two of them strip out in the first week.  Luckily, GOTOH makes a direct fit replacement tuners but you shouldn't have to buy new tuners for a new guitar.   I feel this may be due to the "aging" process they put the tuners through.   I'm not sure this will be an issue for the NOS Cores tuners.

For me, the artesian age and weight limit was the reasons I got a Core.  It's the feel of an old, vintage guitar (and look).  My Aged Core feels, and is acoustically more resonate and drier sounding.  Through the amp this translates to grittier tone... the whole "a Tele on steroids" tone.  If it weren't for the artesian aging and the weight limit (mine is 8lbs 6oz), then I wouldn't have bought a core.... so the extra cost was WELL worth it for me.  YMMV 

On 10/29/2022 at 7:41 PM, skydog52 said:

I heard last week that standard models will be coming through with Heritage labeled tuners soon. 

I hope not.  The tuners that came on my CC were useless.

On 10/29/2022 at 8:01 PM, rockabilly69 said:

And along with the electronics, the pickups seem to be more PAF like (although potted). 

The CC pickups are, to my ears, just fantastic!  Stunning clarity and focus.  Not really interested in changing them out for anything...except my real PAF's, and that's because those are out of phase, a la Peter Green.

1 hour ago, Kuz said:

** The Heritage preparatory tuners look cool but they SUCK!  I had two of them strip out in the first week.  Luckily, GOTOH makes a direct fit replacement tuners but you shouldn't have to buy new tuners for a new guitar.

It's the feel of an old, vintage guitar (and look).  My Aged Core feels, and is acoustically more resonate and drier sounding.  Through the amp this translates to grittier tone... the whole "a Tele on steroids" tone.  If it weren't for the artesian aging and the weight limit (mine is 8lbs 6oz), then I wouldn't have bought a core.... so the extra cost was WELL worth it for me.  YMMV 

This!  And I've seen John's in the flesh and played it. The top is just breathtaking!  Whatever the manufacturing and marketing strategies at Heritage were, I bought in completely.  Getting the CC has made unloading a lot of terrific wood (including two of the best Custom Shop Lesters I've ever played) so much easier the past few years! 

I have had a grand total of zero issues with the Heritage tuners on my CC. Maybe this is do to the fact that they are not aged? Not really sure, but they have seemed to do their job for me. For the record, mine weighs 8 pounds, 1/2 ounce.

6 hours ago, ElChoad said:

I have had a grand total of zero issues with the Heritage tuners on my CC. Maybe this is do to the fact that they are not aged? Not really sure, but they have seemed to do their job for me. For the record, mine weighs 8 pounds, 1/2 ounce.

I really am glad you have not had any issues with your tuners.  

I know 3 Custom Core owners that have had to replace theirs, and even the Heritage dealer said that they can be an issue.   Two of the three had aged hardware, the other one I am not sure if they were aged or not.  They do look cool with the Heritage logo, but if they don't work then they are useless.

The Custom Core models also have a bigger truss rod, which for me, was actually a positive selling point. (The truss rods in Epiphone is the biggest reason I stopped buying Epiphone guitars years ago.)

I'm also fairly confident that they no longer wrap the truss rod with a drinking straw. (Strictly for @rockabilly69's benefit of course. :P)

On 11/1/2022 at 9:23 AM, Kuz said:

** The Heritage preparatory tuners look cool but they SUCK!  I had two of them strip out in the first week.  Luckily, GOTOH makes a direct fit replacement tuners but you shouldn't have to buy new tuners for a new guitar.   I feel this may be due to the "aging" process they put the tuners through.   I'm not sure this will be an issue for the NOS Cores tuners. 

Just now, flammandolin said:

Artisan acid dipped tuners is a process I myself would rather not pay for. Why not let tuners and guitar age through play. Inside sources once informed me artisan aged was a way of marketing number 2's even at a higher cost. Interesting my almost 40 year old Heritage banjo tuners have a great aged appearance yet smooth as butter.

4 hours ago, HANGAR18 said:

The Custom Core models also have a bigger truss rod, which for me, was actually a positive selling point. (The truss rods in Epiphone is the biggest reason I stopped buying Epiphone guitars years ago.)

I'm also fairly confident that they no longer wrap the truss rod with a drinking straw. (Strictly for @rockabilly69's benefit of course. :P)

Really, how confident, that would  be great if they stopped that! I didn't know about the bigger truss-rod. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 12:50 AM, rockabilly69 said:

AFAIK H150s are 17 degrees too

AFAIK?

On 11/2/2022 at 9:09 AM, HANGAR18 said:

Did you get one?

On 11/1/2022 at 11:24 PM, ElChoad said:

Brent mentioned that he was unimpressed with the tuners on his. He called them total crap. How can a guitar in this price range be outfitted with junk?

I just wish they hadn’t dropped the “The” on the headstock. That bothers me. 

Archived