Heritage Owners Club

Does Heritage h157 guitars get faked like Gibson guitars do?

pnovick

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't recall ever seeing a faked H-157.   They haven't made the 157 for several years, and at the time, they weren't commanding any special prices or even any special prestige.   A large percentage of guitar players still have never heard of Heritage.  99.999% of them have heard of Gibson and Fender.  There's much less of a market for Heritage guitars vs a Gibson.   Why fake a guitar that is more difficult to sell, and probably will sell for 20-30% less money?

I've seen fake 150's before; there was one of those Chinese counterfeit sites that was selling them. So wouldn't surprise me if there's some fake 157's out there too... just seems less likely then running into a Chibson or Chender as the market for them is likely much larger. 

Thank you for the replies.  I asked because there is a music store locally selling what they are claiming be an H157 but it is not a double blind body and it’s transparent bright red in color.  I’m thinking it’s an H150 single bound body style. It does have a bound neck and headstock though.  It’s confusing to me. I’ve had h150 and three h357’s and one h535. Those were pretty straight forward but this one isn’t. 

21 minutes ago, pnovick said:

Thank you for the replies.  I asked because there is a music store locally selling what they are claiming be an H157 but it is not a double blind body and it’s transparent bright red in color.  I’m thinking it’s an H150 single bound body style. It does have a bound neck and headstock though.  It’s confusing to me. I’ve had h150 and three h357’s and one h535. Those were pretty straight forward but this one isn’t. 

Sounds like might have been a custom ordered 150. If you're able to get any pictures, including back of headstock, might help shed some light on it. 

The H150 Deluxe had a bound headstock and neck.   Does the one in question have block inlays or traps?   157s have blocks.  150s have traps.  

Heritage did so many custom guitars that you can't go by the "standard" specs.   Is this an older guitar?  If so, it probably has the Schaller bridge and tailpiece.   Check the back of the headstock and under the control cover.  

If it's a local shop,  go take a few pictures of the guitar, and post them.   If you're in the US, the odds are that it's legit.   If you're in the far East, you might be looking at a questionable guitar.

FWIW,  I just looked at a couple of those Chinese fake sites, and there was a fake Heritage listed.   It was a Custom Core model.  I guess the prices are high enough that they are getting attention.  The pics look genuine but I'm sure the actual instrument will differ significantly.   That's usually the case with those sites.

1564146875_FakeHeritageCC.thumb.jpg.3ad325e93effeb2f54a2fea70b9a90f7.jpg

Interesting.... it's got a 150 body with a 157 neck.  I'm guessing it was a custom build that someone liked the block inlays and bound headstock.   I like the binding on the headstock,  the block inlays vs trapezoids is an either/or for me.   Also, the H157 has binding on the back as well as the front.   This one doesn't.

The best place to check would be the sticker inside the control cavity.   They usually make note of special changes, like pickups, etc.   Have the shop check it, or better yet, just drive down there and check it out.  

I remember driving out to Music-Go-Round to check out a guitar for someone who was interested.  I took pics, and gave it a bit of a run thru, just to look for obvious problems.  If you're spending that much money,  it's worth having it in hand whenever possible.

I can't tell if it has a bellycut or not? Strange angle & reflection looks like it might?

If the backside was flat, that carpet from outside our field of view on the right wouldn't be reflecting like it is?

If so, that coincides with a custom order

That's definitely a belly cut!   The carpet reflected wouldn't be rounded that way.  Nice catch..

That probably seals the deal that it's not a fake.   All fakes try to be as "stock" as possible.  It avoids additional scrutiny.   Plus, if there is anything that the old Heritage guys were known for, it was doing custom orders like this.

26 minutes ago, TalismanRich said:

That's definitely a belly cut!   The carpet reflected wouldn't be rounded that way.  Nice catch..

That probably seals the deal that it's not a fake.   

Agree,

On my last custom build I asked for a belly cut they said they can't do binding on the back and how many layers of binding on the top and neck I wanted.

3 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Didn't Heritage offer a limited edition "150 Deluxe" with these features?

Yes they did and they where numbered. 

I don't remember the Deluxe having block inlays, or the diamond inlay on the headstock.   Maybe it's a bit of a "mutt".  A bit of 157, a little 150,  some belly cut.   PRESTO!  A custom Heritage build.  

If I had known how many options were available when I bought my H157, I might have changed a few things.  

46 minutes ago, TalismanRich said:

If I had known how many options were available when I bought my H157, I might have changed a few things.  

Ditto       Without this Forum in what 2006, it was difficult to even find out about Heritage much less know what options were available. We at the HOC educated both our fellow members and the builders what options were doable.  This was a moving target as I for one relished the "new build" threads and was most eager to tease one of my own.  Wider headstocks, assortment of inlays....  That was a golden age for sure.    

On 11/15/2022 at 12:10 PM, TalismanRich said:

The H150 Deluxe had a bound headstock and neck.   Does the one in question have block inlays or traps?   157s have blocks.  150s have traps.  

Heritage did so many custom guitars that you can't go by the "standard" specs.   Is this an older guitar?  If so, it probably has the Schaller bridge and tailpiece.   Check the back of the headstock and under the control cover.  

If it's a local shop,  go take a few pictures of the guitar, and post them.   If you're in the US, the odds are that it's legit.   If you're in the far East, you might be looking at a questionable guitar.

FWIW,  I just looked at a couple of those Chinese fake sites, and there was a fake Heritage listed.   It was a Custom Core model.  I guess the prices are high enough that they are getting attention.  The pics look genuine but I'm sure the actual instrument will differ significantly.   That's usually the case with those sites.

1564146875_FakeHeritageCC.thumb.jpg.3ad325e93effeb2f54a2fea70b9a90f7.jpg

Never knew such sites existed. Are these sites similar to the Russian dating sites where the girls are fake? Thought you might know a thing or two about them, since your single.  

On 11/16/2022 at 1:32 AM, pnovick said:

B343105D-2330-476D-97F1-21FC9D13D7D3.jpeg

Well, it doesn’t say Made in China! That speaks volumes!

Archived