Heritage Owners Club

The Milli is unboxed

kbp810

Phew, it had a safe journey. NGD for the Millennium from Daves Guitar Shop (Thank you @PunkKitty for the find!)

Overall the guitar is in good shape. Signs of it's age (V code serial, 2005) and that it hasn't been a total case queen; but overall body/neck is in good shape. A few yellowing spots of binding, a small scuff here and there,  just the right amount of mojo. 

It's not without it's flaws though - a couple of the tuners are a little crunchy and feel like they have a little play in them; the low E has a little green corrosion or rough feeling residue around it. I've got a spare set of gold grovers, so going to swap them out. Playing it unplugged, it sounds great, very resonant; plugging it in however, there was a little ghost note buzz happening, and on the neck, also some crackle. Opening the cavity seemed to show the problem; a failed solder joint on the neck volume pot. There's also some corrosion or residue on the pots (my guess is more so residue, probably a few layers of deoxit or something). I've also got a stash of spare pots and caps, so will eliminate the variables and give it a full rewiring tomorrow as well. 

But of course no one came to this thread to hear me ramble on, so here are the pics...

20221209_185441-X4.jpg

20221209_185506-X4.jpg

20221209_185002-X4.jpg

Tuners swapped out and wiring re-done; had a set of Wolfetones on hand (Dr V/Marshalhead set), so found some gold covers for those and put them in as well. 

Did notice that the bridge is a very, very, sloppy fit to the posts... the bridge is a Gotoh, however, the tail says "Made in Germany". So guessing it was originally Schaller and someone threw the Gotoh bridge over Schaller posts. Not sure; there's no identifier as to model. I know this isn't typically a tight tolerance/snug fit, but it's a lot looser than I recall from any previous guitar I've worked on. 

20221210_145639-X4.jpg

20221210_150834-X4.jpg

cool beans kbp, say hi to the enabler for me. and, watch for some exciting millie news on my end in the first qtr of 2023 :)

16 minutes ago, bolero said:

I believe you can get Gotoh bridges with a smaller hole diameter. I ended up with one on mine that fits well. I think it's a Gotoh, can check if you want?

All good, I just ordered a full replacement set just to remove all the variables 

2 hours ago, bolero said:

I ended up with one on mine that fits well.

I used to work with him.  Richard Fitswell if I recall.

KBP810 - when it warms, we should make waves with your new beast!

Well, was feeling fancy so ordered a replacement kit from Faber. It arrived today, however, went to install, just to find that the bridge bushings are metric (so all good there, I ordered the metric kit), but the tail bushings are... standard... sigh. 

I do happen to have a couple metric bushings amongst my spare parts... but... they're black nickel and also slightly larger than the existing holes. Even if they were gold, I'm not sure I could bring myself to drill out the holes and hammer them in. No matter how much I try to channel in some of the awesome DIY power of Brent. 

Will just stick the old tail back on for now and wait for Faber's exchange process for "inch" studs to run it's course.

(Picture just for the hell of it, I know how we all like pictures!)

20221216_175527-X2.jpg

Good luck! I think patience was a wise choice

I recall my gtr tech needing to drill deeper tailpiece holes to fit the new studs, when I converted an H150. Not sure how deep the millies are, or if it changed over time? Was a "94 H150 fwiw

Archived