Heritage Owners Club

H-160 : Looking for it all

SixStringDave

.... and I really am looking for it all.

A few years ago, I was lucky enough to have someone at Heritage send me an old hand drawn copy of the original wiring to my H-160. You wouldnt think something like would be difficult, but these cats at heritage had some crafty wiring magic not often seen right from the factory...  bought it new in early 1988, and although I had no clue at the time, it was wired with a real sweet vari-phase setup. After a few years of hard living on the road, and a few pickup changes later I retired that axe for a good 15 years before rewiring back to its original glory, and even reinstalling the original schaller humbucker in place of a late 70s JB. Believe it or not, the schaller pickup is a bit wider in tonal range than the jb, a noticeable difference when slipping that pickup out of phase with single coils. Probably get different results with different (hotter) single coils, but in the end, the stock pickups do a fine job of offering up a seriously wide tonal range ...

I have picked up 2 more h160s through the years, and after recently digging them all out for tuneups, low and behold they are each wired differently, which has me wondering what these old school Gibson guys were cooking up back then. So, if youve got an h160, pop that back cover off and maybe take a pic of its wiring. Im curious to see what else is floating around out there, although im a bit doubtful many of us still own any of these.

And if your looking to sell one .... Im always buying.

I've posted this before but here it is again for your viewing pleasure.

If you ever this this guitar buy it.

I had it refretted and pleKed at "The Music Gallery" in 2014. It was in mint condition at that time.

Serial number of my former H160v, C08603.

h160v.jpg

H160v_Front_Closeup_.JPG

H160v_Back_Closeup.JPG

32 minutes ago, pressure said:

I've posted this before but here it is again for your viewing pleasure.

If you ever this this guitar buy it.

I had it refretted and pleKed at "The Music Gallery" in 2014. It was in mint condition at that time.

Serial number of my former H160v, C08603.

h160v.jpg

H160v_Front_Closeup_.JPG

H160v_Back_Closeup.JPG

You’ll poke your eye out with that one!

Archived