Heritage Owners Club

535 Strap button location

ghoststrat

Hello,

I have a 535, which I love, but the way it hangs from the strap is causing me some problems in my right arm from needing to pull the guitar into my body to the get correct angle (for me). Raising / lowering the strap isn't an option. 

I'm considering putting the strap button on the upper bout, but I don't know if there's enough wood there to support it. I'm also looking into getting an arm rest / cushion.

Any ideas or suggestion?

Thank you 

I don't remember there being any wood block added to the upper bout corner during any of our tours.    There are several pictures in the  PSP archives of guitars in the course of being built.   You might look through some of the early ones and see if there would be enough wood to support a strap button.

There MIGHT be enough wood to hold a strap button.   I found this photo in the PSP2 group.   If you look closely, you can see a small piece of wood on the inside of the upper ear.  

It might be worth giving the Heritage folks and asking if they are still doing this and if it would be sufficient to hold a strap button securely.

'09 PSPII - Wow!! - More Semi-Hollow Bodies

That's a thin piece of wood in that area and you'll risk cracking the rim.  Certainly does not look like there is much for a screw to hold on to. The 535 does not hang like a 150/Lester.  It hangs more like an SG, thus it make the neck feel further away on your fretting hand.

Here are a couple of photo I took in 2010.  I am not a guitar maker but I wouldn't try it with my 535.  You can see the small slice of wood in the horns. 

img_2668_std.jpg

img_2669_std.jpg

Thank you all for your responses. 

To clarify what I mean about how the guitar hangs, it pitches forward and requires me to pull it back with my right arm, which is already having an issue that I need to address some point soon (with an arm rest, or something). 

I agree, there's likely not enough wood to support a strap button. I contacted Heritage and they said as much. 

As far as attaching a strap at the headstock is concerned, that has always felt... goofy to me. So, I can't go in that direction.

I did find this solution, but the idea of fixing it this way bothers me a little bit: https://www.treeguitarworks.com/strap-button-on-es-guitars.html

I thought about doing something like this, but I don't see how I could roll it back if I wanted to. I'd need to find something small enough, so the screw hole wouldn't be massive: 

flat_hex_toggle_bolts_6c30.jpg?store=def

I use these strap buttons on all my guitars. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254619014670?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=mi82W7AGQPu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=XtStWpOAS9-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

Used in conjunction with a nice suede leather strap, I notice no forward lean, nor any neck dive. I would not recommend putting any additional holes in your guitar.

You could use a bolt threaded right thru, fastened onto a nut on the flat part of that piece of wood inside the horn. With a wide washer underneath the nut to distribute the pressure.

But it would be difficult to install, and devalue the gtr/make it less desirable to buyers.

2 hours ago, bolero said:

You could use a bolt threaded right thru, fastened onto a nut on the flat part of that piece of wood inside the horn. With a wide washer underneath the nut to distribute the pressure.

But it would be difficult to install, and devalue the gtr/make it less desirable to buyers.

Don't know how you'd catch that nut on the inside, not exactly an easy reach unless you have really, really tiny hands.

On 1/19/2023 at 1:30 PM, DetroitBlues said:

Those arms would put inward pressure on an angled, heat treated bent piece of wood.  If you tightened it, assuming you could align it properly you'd crack the sides and/or the top.

Whoa! I didn't even think about that, good call! The idea is far dumber than I would have expected.

Exactly. " it would be difficult to install "

Coathanger with adhesive to feed the washer & nut down thru the F hole. If you soldered the nut to the wire you could hold the nut while tightening, then twist it off afterwards.

doable. But still not a great idea IMO

OP have you ever played a Millenium? Smaller hollowbody.

4 hours ago, JayLo said:

Maybe using a different strap? A rubber like material or rough suede on the back side would help the strap not too move so much.

That won't fix the problem of the guitar tipping forward.  

Personally,  I never found that to be a problem, even with an rather substantial protuberance pushing the guitar forward.   I can see how it might be bothersome depending on how low slung the guitar is to start with.

Just now, TalismanRich said:

That won't fix the problem of the guitar tipping forward.  

Personally,  I never found that to be a problem, even with an rather substantial protuberance pushing the guitar forward.   I can see how it might be bothersome depending on how low slung the guitar is to start with.

I don't think its a balance issue either, the 535, like an SG, upper strap button is further right than a H150/Les Paul/Stratocaster making the fretboard access feel further left.  It can take time to get used to.

Archived