Heritage Owners Club

NOHGD H-137 Refinish

skydog52

I bought this awhile back. It was faded Pelham Blue but I could never get to like the color and I like seeing the wood. I call it Black Cherry.

Dave Teske did the work on it. He does excellent work.    David Teske - Guitars and furniture custom finishing and repair services

Before and after.

1385045125_H-137large.jpg.8411d6bdf3b51d0b3c1a2d297d66a3f3.jpg

Black Cherry H-137  small.jpg

Black Cherry H-137 .jpg 2 small.jpg

Black Cherry H-137 .jpg 3 small.jpg

Black Cherry H-137 .jpg 4 small.jpg

Black Cherry H-137 .jpg 5 small.jpg

You took a rather large gamble.  Who would paint such a beautiful piece of wood?  Your efforts paid off big!  Nice guitar!!!

3 hours ago, bolero said:

Wow!! Spectacular

Although you cheated a bit with the B4 pics: couldn't you find anything better resolution? Lol

I thought I had better ones but couldn't find them. That was from the website of the dealer I got it from. 

I got a real good deal on it with the mindset that I would refinish it. I tried to like the color but I like seeing the woodgrain.

Mother Nature is a great creator! 

22 hours ago, Steiner said:

You took a rather large gamble.  Who would paint such a beautiful piece of wood?  Your efforts paid off big!  Nice guitar!!!

Calculated risk. We all know Heritage has good wood. Joke in there somewhere.

Originally I was going to finish it in Grafitti Yellow thinking of Jeff Beck and this was 8 months ago. I asked Dave to strip it and

see what is under there. He sent me pics and I decided to go with this color. I have a Millennium in a color similar to this and Dave worked off that.

Milli Black Cherry.jpg

Agree on being able to see wood in guitars!

I usually go for transparent/translucent finishes.

My black mahogany H157 is now at the point where the grain is visible, like an old guitar. I dig it & was hoping it would mature like that.

That is a nice refin, congrats again!

7 hours ago, skydog52 said:

Calculated risk. We all know Heritage has good wood. Joke in there somewhere.

Originally I was going to finish it in Grafitti Yellow thinking of Jeff Beck and this was 8 months ago. I asked Dave to strip it and

see what is under there. He sent me pics and I decided to go with this color. I have a Millennium in a color similar to this and Dave worked off that.

Milli Black Cherry.jpg

That guitar still haunts me.  So simple in its accents, yet stunning!  Congrats on both axes (axis?).  May you play them in good health.

1 hour ago, DetroitBlues said:

When refinishing that, was there any thought to moving to soapbar vs dogear P90's?

Yes I thought of that if I was going with the graffiti yellow solid color but when we decided on a transparent color that was out. 

These pickups sound pretty good to me.

1 hour ago, skydog52 said:

Yes I thought of that if I was going with the graffiti yellow solid color but when we decided on a transparent color that was out. 

These pickups sound pretty good to me.

It wasn't a matter of sound, dogears can be clipped off the pickups to convert to soapbars (I think?).  But I agree, transparent color, no matter how dark, the holes will still be visible even when filled.

9 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

The refinish is absolutely an improvement.   The Pelham Blue isn't a big favorite for me, and when it starts looking booger green, it's less of a favorite.

?

15 minutes ago, brentrocks said:

That turned out great Paul! 

Dave is working on a special Heritage project for me now as well.  He does great work!!

Yes he does. Great guy!  I have a guitar headed to him that he is going to transform to a Jeff Beck tribute. Can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 3:44 PM, TalismanRich said:

The refinish is absolutely an improvement.   The Pelham Blue isn't a big favorite for me, and when it starts looking booger green, it's less of a favorite.

Definitely.  Fantastic visual upgrade.  I like it a lot.

Archived