Heritage Owners Club

H150 Ox blood ?

hopkinwfg

Howdy... just wonder has anybody gotten or played the new or recent launched H150 Oxblood color thats said to be factory exclusive? i have contacted my local dealer and am glad they are keen to get 1 in for me.... but was wondering if these pieces has the deep neck joint like those found on Gibson historics? 

i gotta chance to tried the H150 cherry red and that was like a 2020 piece and i was totally impressed by how it sound... the sustain, the highs upper register the big wide openess tone and its easy to play... sweet tone on the inner frets... 

i actually made the choice of getting my first Heritage after having owning a used Gibson historic custom shop 2004 BB.... no doubt the Gibson BB sound way way louder acoustically than the H150, but the sustain and sweetness on how the Heritage sound brings my thoughts over from getting another used gibson standard historic in ebony black dated 2003.... 

i actually inspected the H150 fretboard prior to testing one out and imo the rosewood is just so much different from other branded coys rosewood which they offers.... i own two suhrs 1 classic 1 modern no doubt they sound fantastic but the rosewood are more porous with more pores than the heritage H150 ! the Heritage H150 rosewood i saw resembled like a macasscar ebony... less pores and darker color .... Keep it up Heritage !! please bring on the H157 !! we miss the custom with ebony board.....

The original oxblood ( Jeff Beck's....after whoever got it refinned & didn't like it!! ) was a wraptail, wasn't it?

I wonder why they didn't bother with the wraptail. Would have been a desirable feature IMO.

Looks good though

8 hours ago, bolero said:

The original oxblood ( Jeff Beck's....after whoever got it refinned & didn't like it!! ) was a wraptail, wasn't it?

I wonder why they didn't bother with the wraptail. Would have been a desirable feature IMO.

Looks good though

Because you need to be UBER-exact on where you mount the wraptail for the intonation.  You can't have a 21 year old working the drill press on a wraptail.  But I agree it would be desirable and super cool.

Man I miss this Guy. What a talented musician! He gave us so much Great Music and was such a Neat Person.

On 3/26/2023 at 1:43 PM, bolero said:

Looks good though

yeah i seen the Jeff beck oxblood much often for sale... i didnt really like it initially seeing it with the wraptail .. i thought it was an ordinary black until i search and it kinda explained the color scheme isnt acually black but its darker globe red with some reflection but photo shoot normally will be black... since i saw the Heritage H150 Oxblood but came with the bridge and stop piece i just thought i need to get one.... and there it goes i just placed an order for one....

anxiously waiting for the Ox to arrive .... haha..

• 1 month later...

Did recieve this guitar in Oxblood ! the color is nice ! finish seems to be thick and very well polished ! this guitar sound good but for what i like i would prefer more girth and mid grind i probably swap to a duncan JB... sustain in this guitar is wild ! its the longest sustain guitar i ever played followed by the Gibson R8 i got... but did some inspection on this guitar sadly it has a bit of flaw here and there... if only Heritage guitars can hype up their QC... 

the tailpiece stud post on the right hand side is tilted towards left... i have no idea if i could do a fix myself by getting off the insert and post well and to re-tap into position into the body? 

have contacted Heritage on these issues.... i probably leave it as what it is and am hoping i could get an exchange for a new better QC piece?

20230506_144018.jpg

I would return the guitar for the post alone, don't get caught up in the emotion, call it for what it is, TERRIBLE QC. You should get a new one with NO problems! And when you order the next one, make sure to tell them that you'll be looking the next one over with a microscope!

I would reject it also.  We get guitars that we should cherish a lifetime.  This one is not up to their standards.  It may play well and sound good, but it is not reminiscent of the 225 Parsons heritage.

6 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

I would return the guitar for the post alone, don't get caught up in the emotion, call it for what it is, TERRIBLE QC. You should get a new one with NO problems! And when you order the next one, make sure to tell them that you'll be looking the next one over with a microscope!

yup... there are two more issues i manage to pickup and i just didnt wanna seem like am nicpicking on things but imo is that the quality Heritage is putting out to people like us with their 2.6k floor model guitar ... ouch.... 

As for the Tail piece insert stud it seems like a common issue as the post seems to be tilited ? Check this guy whom he review his H150 and surprisingly he has got his H150 repaired... 

Just now, bolero said:

Is the post tilted, or is the carve of the top just further in on the treble side? I'd be surprised if the posts aren't drilled properly. But who knows.

Good luck!

On my 150 CC the bridge posts and the tailpiece posts were drilled at angles worse than those pictured.  And two tuners were striped to where I just changed them all our to  direct Gotohs.  The drilling of the posts at awful angles not straight  into the top Is is a REAL problem and I contacted Heritage about it.  The customer service rep said he would speak to Pete Farmer.  I was able to make mine work with a change to Faber hardware, but just barely.  Heritage sent me a T-shirt, hat, and strap (which I could careless about).  I asked the rep if I could speak to Pete Farmer about the issues just to make them aware that a $4600 guitar left their "custom shop" this way so they could fix the issue.  The Heritage rep said that Pete and custom shop appreciated my feedback but didn't feel the need to talk about it!!!

So my 150CC has some issues but plays and sounds great now with some aftermarket love.  As for those that say the QC issues are better with the new management than before or the QC issues are resolved, I have never received a new guitar from any company so misaligned.  Really the reason I keep my 150CC was because it has good wood and the weight is just under 8.5lbs and it sounds good.  But I suggest you inspect your new heritage guitars closely because all my 11 previous Pre-Plaza Heritage guitars were almost perfect compared to my new management and most expensive 150 CC. 

The fact that Pete Farmer wouldn't even give me a call was VERY disappointing. 

32 minutes ago, Kuz said:

On my 150 CC the bridge posts and the tailpiece posts were drilled at angles worse than those pictured.  And two tuners were striped to where I just changed them all our to  direct Gotohs.  The drilling of the posts at awful angles not straight  into the top Is is a REAL problem and I contacted Heritage about it.  The customer service rep said he would speak to Pete Farmer.  I was able to make mine work with a change to Faber hardware, but just barely.  Heritage sent me a T-shirt, hat, and strap (which I could careless about).  I asked the rep if I could speak to Pete Farmer about the issues just to make them aware that a $4600 guitar left their "custom shop" this way so they could fix the issue.  The Heritage rep said that Pete and custom shop appreciated my feedback but didn't feel the need to talk about it!!!

So my 150CC has some issues but plays and sounds great now with some aftermarket love.  As for those that say the QC issues are better with the new management than before or the QC issues are resolved, I have never received a new guitar from any company so misaligned.  Really the reason I keep my 150CC was because it has good wood and the weight is just under 8.5lbs and it sounds good.  But I suggest you inspect your new heritage guitars closely because all my 11 previous Pre-Plaza Heritage guitars were almost perfect compared to my new management and most expensive 150 CC. 

The fact that Pete Farmer wouldn't even give me a call was VERY disappointing. 

That's shady !! My hearts are with you mate ! I thought Pete Farmer is the main guy now at Heritage ? And to have him not securing us buyers out here is a serious concern.. it really speaks about how well the new direction has gone....hope something has to be change and improve on...

I seriously think that I won't be forking out another 500 bucks to send this guitar of mine for a 1-1 exchange... :( am hoping more like if the dealer in my country could do me some discount on the flawed item.... 

Back to the Tailpiece stud post issue.... would you share us on how you corrected it ? 

No idea if this could be a simple fix by extracting the post well out from the body and retap back into the body ? 

The rest of the fretboard issues I could actually try sanding it down or try steaming the dents back in shape.... 

This H150 no doubt imo still plays damn well and good !! It's indeed a well built instrument but QC has lacked or the Luthier whom he/she has her work don't to install these hardwares and fret work..... such areas really need to be zoomed in and resolve...

2 hours ago, bolero said:

That's bizarre! I thought they used a jig to drill those holes. And/or a drill press.

Thats what I believe so... no way that they would use a hand drill have that two holes done ...

I think its during the stage of tapping in the stud post screw well into the body.... is like when u hammer a nail into a wood plank most of the untrained hands would get that screw hammered in slanted ... was probably the case :(

For a H150 @ 2.6k is regretful indeed to have came in such condition... but for a Custom core H150 @ the PRICE POINT it is really a no go !! 

With that I did a comparison on my H150 vs my R8 2008 era and gosh tone is wide apart !!! 

the H150 sound so much more musical... more open and less of that mid quack which my R8 possessed... 

the highs on the H150 are more chimey too compared to the R8 highs sounded sterile and plastic-sy... 

The H150 feels so much smoother and the R8 feels like a rough in ya hands... 

53 minutes ago, hopkinwfg said:

Thats what I believe so... no way that they would use a hand drill have that two holes done ...

I think its during the stage of tapping in the stud post screw well into the body.... is like when u hammer a nail into a wood plank most of the untrained hands would get that screw hammered in slanted ... was probably the case :(

For a H150 @ 2.6k is regretful indeed to have came in such condition... but for a Custom core H150 @ the PRICE POINT it is really a no go !! 

With that I did a comparison on my H150 vs my R8 2008 era and gosh tone is wide apart !!! 

the H150 sound so much more musical... more open and less of that mid quack which my R8 possessed... 

the highs on the H150 are more chimey too compared to the R8 highs sounded sterile and plastic-sy... 

The H150 feels so much smoother and the R8 feels like a rough in ya hands... 

I don't think you're hearing the difference between an R8 and a H150, I think you're just hearing the difference between two different pieces of wood, and two different sets of pickups. I own an R4, R7, R0, and two H150s. And guess what, NONE of them sound alike, they are all individual sounding, and that's why I keep them. Maybe your R8 needs a new set of pickups and/or pots! I also think rough feel of the R8 is just the VOS finish which can buffed off very easily. I buffed that VOS crap off of all of my Gibsons, and blindfolded, I couldn't tell any difference between feel of the lacquer of the Gibsons and the Heritages. Although the R4 and R7 have bigger necks so I would feel that.

This is the stuff I buffed my Gibsons with and it got all of the VOS stuff off...

https://www.amazon.com/Players-Guitar-Scratch-Remover-Eternashine/dp/B008NRF8R2/ref=asc_df_B008NRF8R2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312165945081&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=531106270630495922&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1026969&hvtargid=pla-571115065135&psc=1 

I love all of my Heritages and Gibsons, but frankly, I had to do way more work on my Heritages than I did my Gibsons. My Heritages all had very badly cut nuts and sloppy fretwork. I also changed all of the hardware on them, all the pickups, and all of the electronics, on the Heritages. 

That said, I hope you get your Oxblood ordeal sorted out and you get a new guitar with NO defects!!!

25 minutes ago, rockabilly69 said:

I think you're just hearing the difference between two different pieces of wood, and two different sets of pickups.

My experience as well. I owned three H150s with HRW pickups at one point - they all sounded different.

2 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

I don't think you're hearing the difference between an R8 and a H150, I think you're just hearing the difference between two different pieces of wood, and two different sets of pickups. I own an R4, R7, R0, and two H150s. And guess what, NONE of them sound alike, they are all individual sounding, and that's why I keep them. Maybe your R8 needs a new set of pickups and/or pots! I also think rough feel of the R8 is just the VOS finish which can buffed off very easily. I buffed that VOS crap off of all of my Gibsons, and blindfolded, I couldn't tell any difference between feel of the lacquer of the Gibsons and the Heritages. Although the R4 and R7 have bigger necks so I would feel that.

This is the stuff I buffed my Gibsons with and it got all of the VOS stuff off...

https://www.amazon.com/Players-Guitar-Scratch-Remover-Eternashine/dp/B008NRF8R2/ref=asc_df_B008NRF8R2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312165945081&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=531106270630495922&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1026969&hvtargid=pla-571115065135&psc=1 

I love all of my Heritages and Gibsons, but frankly, I had to do way more work on my Heritages than I did my Gibsons. My Heritages all had very badly cut nuts and sloppy fretwork. I also changed all of the hardware on them, all the pickups, and all of the electronics, on the Heritages. 

That said, I hope you get your Oxblood ordeal sorted out and you get a new guitar with NO defects!!!

Thank you for your links... Will look it up... sorry for my premature quote on my H150 vs R8.... also my bad was i merely did comparison acoustically playing it unplugged ... the difference I commented earlier which I would like to put up is... the H150 sounded way less middy than my R8... 

The R8 has this very pronounced mid heavy tone that spikes thru the frequency... 

Where the H150 is more flat in the eq less of the mid spike which inturns translates to warmer pleasant sounding... 

Am pretty happy with how my H150 sound and played... judging by the feedbacks you guys gave having H150 sounding different from one another am afraid if return for another piece would be a good idea... but let's see how it pans out... 

Archived