Heritage Owners Club

News from HG: "Introducing the Custom Core H-150 Gold Top"

Gianluca

It's about time.  Goldtops have been a Kalamazoo favorite since the earliest days of the Les Paul, circa 1952. 

And this new Heritage shade is awesome looking.  I always thought the previous Heritage goldtop was more 'champagne' than a gold bullion.  I once owned a Goldtop H150 and still have a Goldtop H535, so I'm very familiar with their version.  For comparison however, my Gibson R7 Goldtop has that more vintage looking, deep gold color.  Congratulations on Heritage 'bringing the gold' back to Kalamazoo.

Yes, I'm shallow, but apparently Heritage agreed and made their latest version more similar to its 50's cousin original look.

19 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

It's about time.  Goldtops have been a Kalamazoo favorite since the earliest days of the Les Paul, circa 1952. 

I always thought the previous Heritage goldtop was more 'champagne' than a gold bullion.  For comparison however, my Gibson R7 Goldtop has that more vintage looking, deep gold color.  Congratulations on Heritage 'bringing the gold' back to Kalamazoo.

Yes, I'm shallow, but apparently Heritage agreed and made their latest version more similar to its 50's cousin original look.

With you on this count, Tim!

I had a '57 RI GT with '57 Classic PUs. and it was the best LP I ever had. Then I got an H-150 with ThroBak SLE101s in it that blew the Gibby away.

It's  a burst, but I can live with it, being the best sounding and playing and maybe even best looking LP type.

spacer.png 

16 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

And this new Heritage shade is awesome looking.  I always thought the previous Heritage goldtop was more 'champagne' than a gold bullion.  I once owned a Goldtop H150 and still have a Goldtop H535, so I'm very familiar with their version.  For comparison however, my Gibson R7 Goldtop has that more vintage looking, deep gold color.  Congratulations on Heritage 'bringing the gold' back to Kalamazoo.

That's what I was thinking. I wonder if the gold color is going to have that specific look that I find appealing. In times past I liked the gold finish on the Gibby's better than I liked the gold finish on the Heritage models. I think if they get it right, I might have to buy one because I STILL don't have a Goldtop.

Some goldtops look really nice to me,  but I'm more a fan of finishes that show off the wood below.

Having tried to match gold metallic coatings in the past,  I can tell you they can be a pain the BUTT!    Then,  when you get things just right, the company that makes the metallic pigment decides to discontinue it.    There is even a booklet that coatings people use that has pages of different shades of gold, bronze, silver, etc.  

https://www.pantone.com/media/wysiwyg/pantone-graphics-pms-metallics-right-inks-image-1.jpg

The guitar companies are probably somewhat at the mercy of the companies that make the lacquer.   I seriously doubt that any guitar makers mix their own colors, although if you are buying a large enough quantity,  I'm sure the lacquer company would custom match a color for you, for a price.

Hopefully we'll get to see some goldtops this summer....  hint, hint, hint.

19 hours ago, brentrocks said:

I’d rather have the Pelham Blue CC

Just me….

Same... actually, a Pelham Blue CC with cream soap bar P90's and I'd likely have a tough time keeping my wallet from leaping out of my pocket. Still overall strong preference for transparent finish over a hunk of figured maple, but Pelham blue has been living rent free in my head for a while now.  

Gold Tops are REALLY hard to get the finish right.  PRS does very few GTs for their DGT guitars.  Collings does very, very limited GT runs for their City Limits guitars.   The metal flack mixture has to be just right or it will come out in lines and creases on the guitars (I know this was a BIG issue for the early PRS Gold Top DGTs).

I think Collings nailed it.  I love both of mine so no need for a GT CC 150 for me. 

IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

50 minutes ago, Kuz said:

Gold Tops are REALLY hard to get the finish right.  PRS does very few GTs for their DGT guitars.  Collings does very, very limited GT runs for their City Limits guitars.   The metal flack mixture has to be just right or it will come out in lines and creases on the guitars (I know this was a BIG issue for the early PRS Gold Top DGTs).

I think Collings nailed it.  I love both of mine so no need for a GT CC 150 for me. 

IMG_1016.JPG

Gee, Kuz.   I don't think that finish is all it's cracked up to be!   ?

30 minutes ago, TalismanRich said:

Gee, Kuz.   I don't think that finish is all it's cracked up to be!   ?

Funny, yes the dealer photo of the humbucker City Limits looks VERY aged/distressed.  But in real life, it doesn't look like that unless you turn it to just the right angle in the right light. 

I bought my 2007 H150 Gold Top in Belgium, I couldn't pass on that one - came with BareKnuckles The Mule installed and the HRWs in the case (and some natural relicking).
I prefer translucent finishes with wood that looks alive. But this Gold Top bought me (nicknamed Jessica, obviously).

I think there is something interesting, if you look at the picture, just above the neck you can see some green-ish under the gold.

Isn't that the way Gold Tops were made back un the days?
The finish should contain some bronze?
(I don't think it's copper)

H150GoldTop_bronzeUnderTheFinish.jpg

Well I’m glad they have decided to get back into the Goldtops. I prefer one with P90s but either way the GT is my favorite. I love a painted guitar, all the crazy maple tops are beautiful but so many are out there now they have lost their specialness. I would love to see more colors too, wine red, black, pelllam blue. 

I owned two Heritage 150 GTs (one with humbuckers that Rich has now, and one that Josh bought that had P90s).   Both were INCREDIBLY great guitars.

And although the "gold" color wasn't vintage correct (like others have said they were more of a "champagne" color), I thought they were VERY beautiful, interesting visually, and unique to only Heritage. 

10 hours ago, Gianluca said:

I think there is something interesting, if you look at the picture, just above the neck you can see some green-ish under the gold.

Isn't that the way Gold Tops were made back un the days?
The finish should contain some bronze?
(I don't think it's copper)

Goldtops use bronze powder for the gold look.   You can adjust the shade a bit with some coloring.  If you really want to go cheap, you can make one with aluminum and some yellow, red and black.  Aluminum is a lot cheaper than bronze but it doesn't have the same lustrous look.    Depending on the grade you buy, metallics can have a very smooth, almost mirror like appearance, or a deep 3D look.  I'm partial to the 3D look myself.

Brass is copper and zinc,   and bronze is copper and tin.   Since both contain copper, that is what turns green when oxygen reaches the surface.   That's why you see the green patina on old brass or bronze lamps.  

Archived