Heritage Owners Club

Amp Breakdown Happy Ending

tsp17

In a prior post i mentioned that i had replaced a 12AX7 with a NOS 12AT7 in my Vintage Sound Jazz 20; it imploded and the tube i put in got stuck in the socket, so I took it to my local amp guru Jeff Snider (once upon a time - Snider Amplification).    

I was in the desert during repair with bad cell service so  it was hard to communicate.  Jeff really knows what he is doing and i trust his judgment, and he called our mutual friend and guitar tech to see what guitars i would be playing though it so he knew what i was after…but when i got back in range i got a message that he was doing a whole bunch of stuff to the amp, and I got nervous both about highly modding a boutique amp and the cost.  It had been a sweet amp, but i wasn’t quite getting what i wanted out of it- which is why i tried the tube swap, so i decided to let him do his thing.

Happy Ending.  

Jeff 1) removed a the trem circuit that was really just sucking power and not otherwise operational, 2) built in a 2 stage phase inverter 3) replaced the phase inverter 12ax7 with a NOS 12AT7. 2) replaced the 5AR4 reciter tube with a diode plug for more headroom, 4) replaced what was a more Marshall like EQ with a Fender style EQ, 5) replaced  18k supply resistors with 10k for more headroom ,  6) added a 47 cap at the reverb/screen supply to eliminate hum,  7) turned the reverb tank around to reduce noise.  

I also had him replace the stock speaker with an Eminence Neo 2512 for better articulation and tighter bottom and somewhat rounder highs.  Great speaker for jazz and lighter weight. 

Result is a different amp- one I wanted in the first place.    I bought this amp without having played it - based on the concept and reputation and all I’d heard about it, but had a hard time dialing it in for what i wanted.  I even put it up for sale at one point.  No takers.  Pretty limited market for this specialty amp.  Again- i liked it a lot but it was not quite what i hoped for. 

It is now cleaner, more articulate and warmer.  More headroom.  Very well matched to my H550 and SKB.  Best low wattage amp I’ve ever owned now.  I’ve always wanted something portable that could give me a pared down Super Reverb or Twin sound without the weight.  This comes pretty close.  Still a 6v6 amp at heart, but sounds bigger, warmer, more articulate at volume.    Gets plenty loud without breaking up.  Just right.   

And…the cost was very reasonable for turning this amp into my go to gigging amp that i can carry from car to stage or up a flight of stairs to our rehearsal space without throwing my back into fits.   The NEO speaker also shaves a few pounds.  

i guess it is not a Vintage Sound amp anymore, but now it is what i was hoping for in the first place and definitely a keeper.  So I’m glad i broke it with that NOS tube experiment.  I asked Jeff to give me a grill cloth badge that says Snider Amplification so he could get a small dose of credit for the re-design.  

all’s well that ends well. 

On 4/9/2023 at 2:45 PM, Gitfiddler said:

@tsp17Glad things worked out for you.  Those are great rigs. 

Based on your description of the power section it reminds me of the Heritage Victory 'Head', also a roughly 20-22 watt amp.

Yep- 20 watts.   Matches exceptionally well with my H550.  

Archived