Heritage Owners Club

Bypassing the Preamps

Months ago, I bought a Jet City amp, based upon a Soldano design. I keep it at the rehearsal space so it’s one less thing to drag out every week.  However, there are times I struggle with it to give me the sustain I need without crazy feedback.  I’ve thought about bringing out a different amp, but my other amps are a bit more expensive and the bass players has younger kids.  Don’t want to risk damaging those amps…

I think tonight I’m going to go directly through the effects loop and bypass the preamp.  Effectively use a drive pedal as my preamp.  I’ll be using a JHS Andy Timmons AT+ which is supposedly a Marshall in a box…. Hoping this works..

It kind of worked.  The effects loop on this amp worked in parallel with the amp, so all the preamp and power amp controls were essentially disabled.  The volume on the pedal became the master volume and gain was the preamp.  Failed experiment.

So the next solution was to move the amp outside the room and plug it in across the hall.  Allows the amp to breathe and my guitar to be far enough away to prevent feedback.  The practice room is a 11x12 room with a five piece band squeezing in…

1 hour ago, DetroitBlues said:

The practice room is a 11x12 room with a five piece band squeezing in…

Very restricting. My practice space is twice that size for just myself and I find that to be to small.

8 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

It kind of worked.  The effects loop on this amp worked in parallel with the amp, so all the preamp and power amp controls were essentially disabled.  The volume on the pedal became the master volume and gain was the preamp.  Failed experiment.

So the next solution was to move the amp outside the room and plug it in across the hall.  Allows the amp to breathe and my guitar to be far enough away to prevent feedback.  The practice room is a 11x12 room with a five piece band squeezing in…

What if you pull the preamp's tubes?

Why not just use pedals through the front of the amp and turn the volume down?  We just talking about practice rehearsals right?

2 hours ago, Kuz said:

Why not just use pedals through the front of the amp and turn the volume down?  We just talking about practice rehearsals right?

It’s keeping the volume up enough to be heard.  They’ve mentioned when I play a solo it’s not loud enough.  I try to play quiet as I can, but I’m asked to turn it up.  I’ve been using a Plumes as a clean boost for solos and it works.  It’s the feedback that causes me grief.  Now the amp, in its glorious 20w 1x12 form is never turned up more than halfway.  Preamp gain is very low.

22 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

It’s keeping the volume up enough to be heard.  They’ve mentioned when I play a solo it’s not loud enough.  I try to play quiet as I can, but I’m asked to turn it up.  I’ve been using a Plumes as a clean boost for solos and it works.  It’s the feedback that causes me grief.  Now the amp, in its glorious 20w 1x12 form is never turned up more than halfway.  Preamp gain is very low.

Josh, I am confused.  Is the volume fine for your rhythm playing?  If so, just get a cheap OD pedal, turn the volume  up and drive down on the pedal and you should be able to boost your volume 10db.   

If the feedback is the issue, like Lance asked, is the feedback coming from a semi-hollow guitar or from unpotted pickups?  If the feedback is from the semi-hollow, stuff some socks in the f holes and get away/turn from your amp.   If the feedback is from unpotted pickups, then you might need to wax pot or change pickups.

I remember you saying your band was basically a 3 piece with the singer occasionally playing guitar.  The honest truth may be you guys are practicing WAY too loud.  Usually the drummer is the main offender and then everyone else turns up to compete.  How is it that the vocals are not feeding back if your guitar is?  Something is not adding up.

Not to embarrass or name drop Yoslate, but they were a 5 piece band (drums, bass, two guitars, and harp/vocals) and I got to sit in on one of their practices before one of their CD release concert.  Their practice space was smaller than an average bedroom.  They were LOUD but manageable and every instrument and the vocals were heard.  

12 hours ago, Kuz said:

Josh, I am confused.  Is the volume fine for your rhythm playing?  If so, just get a cheap OD pedal, turn the volume  up and drive down on the pedal and you should be able to boost your volume 10db.   

If the feedback is the issue, like Lance asked, is the feedback coming from a semi-hollow guitar or from unpotted pickups?  If the feedback is from the semi-hollow, stuff some socks in the f holes and get away/turn from your amp.   If the feedback is from unpotted pickups, then you might need to wax pot or change pickups.

I remember you saying your band was basically a 3 piece with the singer occasionally playing guitar.  The honest truth may be you guys are practicing WAY too loud.  Usually the drummer is the main offender and then everyone else turns up to compete.  How is it that the vocals are not feeding back if your guitar is?  Something is not adding up.

Not to embarrass or name drop Yoslate, but they were a 5 piece band (drums, bass, two guitars, and harp/vocals) and I got to sit in on one of their practices before one of their CD release concert.  Their practice space was smaller than an average bedroom.  They were LOUD but manageable and every instrument and the vocals were heard.  

Oh yes, they are way too loud.  Vocals cannot hear themselves, they‘ll feedback/squeal at times too.  The biggest culprit is the bass player especially when he goes direct.  They’ll complain about dynamics at times too.  Wish we’d all go direct into the mixer and avoid most of it…

6 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Oh yes, they are way too loud.  Vocals cannot hear themselves, they‘ll feedback/squeal at times too.  The biggest culprit is the bass player especially when he goes direct.  They’ll complain about dynamics at times too.  Wish we’d all go direct into the mixer and avoid most of it…

Well, there is your problem and it's solved.  Everyone turn down (especially the bass player).  

• 3 weeks later...

There are a lot of modeling amps out there that now sound great plugged into the FX loop bypassing the preamp of your amp. Line 6, ToneX, Headrush, Quad Cortex, etc. You can get the tone you want at any volume and add a volume block to the signal chain for a solo boost.

4 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

how did it go?

It must be a parallel circuit, the master volume did nothing to change the volume.  So it was a flop, instead I moved the amp across the hall and it allowed the amp to be further away from the vocal mics and my guitar.  Seems to have fixed the issue.

40 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

It must be a parallel circuit, the master volume did nothing to change the volume.  So it was a flop, instead I moved the amp across the hall and it allowed the amp to be further away from the vocal mics and my guitar.  Seems to have fixed the issue.

Well as long as it's working, GREAT!

Archived