Heritage Owners Club

H-535 Custom Core?

Zeldoom

4 hours ago, bolero said:

What on earth would they change on the 535?

I get the enthusiast demand for a 1959 LP,  but a 535 too? It's already a better guitar

The 535/555 bodies are slightly narrower than the 335/345/355 (I believe a good 1/4 inch narrower) and the F holes are larger on the 535/555.  So Heritage could make a 535 CC model that would be more vintage accurate.  Just saying, that would be one reason why. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/23/2023 at 9:02 AM, bolero said:

I get the enthusiast demand for a 1959 LP,  but a 535 too? It's already a better guitar

Headstock, slightly deeper body, custom pickups, thinner finish, they can always find something to change :)

• Upvote 1

I had a nice Gibby ES-347. Now I have something that sounds better. A 535 with flamed bat-wing and ThroBak ER Custom pickups. If I wanted a 335 I'd have one.

5MInPhRh.jpg

eiYFZwIh.jpg

y9pq57Ah.jpg?1

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

On 4/23/2023 at 11:02 AM, bolero said:

Yeah, the LP obsessives go nuts if the binding isn't the right color, or marker dots aren't perfect.   Is the neck fat enough?   Is the wiring vintage?  Is the tenon deep enough?  

535/335 players just pick 'em up, plug 'em in and PLAY! 

When I would walk into Dee Wells Music School at the tender age of 11,  I didn't even look at the Les Paul, or the hollow bodies or acoustics.   My eyes went straight to the 335.   That's what I wanted!   It took me a long time to get my red semi, but I've got it now and I play it.  It's great!

They would need to do something super special for a CC to be a lot better than the standard 535.   I would rather they just bring back the 555, for those of us who like some bling.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

IT’s plausible they might, but I suspect the production of the custom cores are probably taking up all the capacity of the custom shop.  Might explain why the bespoke program isn’t really available.

Build what sells...

4 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

IT’s plausible they might, but I suspect the production of the custom cores are probably taking up all the capacity of the custom shop.  Might explain why the bespoke program isn’t really available.

I’m doing my part….lol

20 hours ago, Vanschoyck said:

Maybe the way the bridge is attached to the body?

That would please me. When I bought the H535 with P90s that Kuz sold me, he already took care of the bridge mount with the Faber screw in ABR inserts! He and I are both so OCD, I just knew when the guitar got here, that it would set up as good as it could be, and I was right, it was :) I waited a long time till I got a semi-hollow Heritage, and I'm glad I did. I seriously doubt a custom core would be any better than this one...

H535P90Faberbridgeinserts.jpg.c982c89f6cb01f9511c9c1d917828b43.jpg

H535P90.thumb.jpg.b46efd8c3540db2c527968e284b8ea84.jpg

Edited by rockabilly69
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Of all the non-solid body Heritages I've lusted after, I have lusted after none so much as that one Randy won at PSP I (or was it later than that? early days anyway). 530, I think...P90s, trapeze. Of course, I can't play anywhere near as good as he (or anyone else here) does, so it'd be wasted on me, but....

@rockabilly69 that is a beautiful instrument. Love the burst!

5 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

He and I are both so OCD....

It's why we love both of you!  And I'd always thought that the top and the color of that 535 were the most stunning I've ever seen on any guitar!

H535P90.thumb.jpg.b46efd8c3540db2c527968e284b8ea84.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bolero said:

Yeah! that's a pretty F'n nice guitar!!

And good tip on the Faber inserts. I'll have to try them out someday.

535.thumb.jpg.627ff3380ef14ec3ad7317f2555f48b8.jpg

Supposedly Faberlous!

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2023 at 9:34 PM, TalismanRich said:

Yeah, the LP obsessives go nuts if the binding isn't the right color, or marker dots aren't perfect.   Is the neck fat enough?   Is the wiring vintage?  Is the tenon deep enough?  

535/335 players just pick 'em up, plug 'em in and PLAY! 

When I would walk into Dee Wells Music School at the tender age of 11,  I didn't even look at the Les Paul, or the hollow bodies or acoustics.   My eyes went straight to the 335.   That's what I wanted!   It took me a long time to get my red semi, but I've got it now and I play it.  It's great!

They would need to do something super special for a CC to be a lot better than the standard 535.   I would rather they just bring back the 555, for those of us who like some bling.

Bigger headstock, the little spear like insignia in the center of the headstock and the Heritage logo (sans “The” ) - that’s not enough for you to pay $4K?

The bigger headstock isn't that much of a selling point.  It's a touch more weight, but I don't think it would create neck dive or change the sound.  You really can't go for much lighter wood,  it's already full of open space.   The pickup change?  Heck people are yanking out the 225s and replacing them in the CC150s.  They did the same with HRWs, then they sell the HRWs as if they are gold.    You can buy a hundred different pickups today!

The 555 had an inlay in the headstock, and the "sans The" isn't a selling point,  it will have ZERO effect on anything.   I like the headstock inlays on my 157 just fine. 

Block or enhanced fretboard inlays are a plus over dots to me.   Binding on the headstock, I like.  Multilayer binding looks nice but not a necessity.    Gold hardware, it's not mandatory. With some colors it looks great,  with others,  silver works better.   5 piece necks looks sharp, and I always wondered if they would be more stable since you can have the grains crossed to minimize the tendency for a piece of wood to move in a single direction.  

None of this has much to do with trying to reinvent a "vintage spec" guitar, which is more what the Custom Core seems to be aiming at.   I'm not one who worships at the altar of the '59 LP.   I don't necessarily agree that the only guitars that have "magic" were built in 1959.   '58s and '60s were essentially the same spec.   The fact that it stopped from '61 to '68 meant that the pool of those original guitars was small.   Therein lies the resulting supply vs demand issue.   Yeah, it's cool that it's old, but other than the fact that certain people played certain guitars on certain albums they were just standard production guitars. You don't see the same thing with 22 fret Washburn Hawks.  Bob Marleys Hawk sold for $1.2 million,  yet you can buy a late 70s Hawk today on Reverb for under $1000.   

That's not so much an issue with the 335/345/355.   It's been in constant production since 1958, with gradual changes over the years.  

So what would a Custom Core 535/555 bring to the table, other than some upgraded parts? 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2023 at 3:23 PM, Kuz said:

The 535/555 bodies are slightly narrower than the 335/345/355 (I believe a good 1/4 inch narrower) and the F holes are larger on the 535/555.  So Heritage could make a 535 CC model that would be more vintage accurate.  Just saying, that would be one reason why. 

I which direction are in a 535 1/4" narrower than a 335?  My '19 measures the same as my 335 did (the 535 replaced the 335).  These guitars have pretty big dimensional tolerances.

spacer.png

Edited by DonA
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1