Heritage Owners Club

Heritage H150 neck profile 2018 to present

hopkinwfg

Depending on who you believe,  it either

a.   is better

b.   is worse

c.   makes no difference.

Seriously,  unless you were to take a guitar with a thick neck,  record it, then shave the neck down and compare it,  you can't just make a blanket statement about that.   BTW, Jimmy Page's #1 was a 59, but the neck was shaved down.  Does that one have "tone"?

There is a fellow on Youtube who took a Strat and recorded the guitar,  then started cutting off chunks of the body.   If there was a change in the sound, it was minuscule.    I've read luthiers who say it makes a HUGE difference, and others who say it make almost no difference (we're talking solid body guitars here, not acoustics).   I think there are other factors that will have larger impact.   Pickups are #1 on my list,  scale length is #2.   Pickup placement makes a huge difference.

BTW,  Heritage necks are hand rolled, so no two are exactly the same.  There were thick necks in the early days, and thin necks.   They have templates that are used to check the shape.

20 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

Depending on who you believe,  it either

a.   is better

b.   is worse

c.   makes no difference.

Seriously,  unless you were to take a guitar with a thick neck,  record it, then shave the neck down and compare it,  you can't just make a blanket statement about that.   BTW, Jimmy Page's #1 was a 59, but the neck was shaved down.  Does that one have "tone"?

There is a fellow on Youtube who took a Strat and recorded the guitar,  then started cutting off chunks of the body.   If there was a change in the sound, it was minuscule.    I've read luthiers who say it makes a HUGE difference, and others who say it make almost no difference (we're talking solid body guitars here, not acoustics).   I think there are other factors that will have larger impact.   Pickups are #1 on my list,  scale length is #2.   Pickup placement makes a huge difference.

BTW,  Heritage necks are hand rolled, so no two are exactly the same.  There were thick necks in the early days, and thin necks.   They have templates that are used to check the shape.

Thanks for chiming in !! You made a good point here...

yet what do you guys Heritage owners whom presently owning a 2023 H150 vs the older model ie year 2019 or 2018 H150 which plays feels and sound better? Has the quality improved with the 2023 new owner? 

I did found the older models have a thinner neck thickness profile and width is narrower, it has probably a smaller dome shape heel,has beautiful pearl inlays, and a shorter neck tenon, comes with grover tuners....

As of 2023... thicker neck profile 1st fret @ 0.88~, has probably a bigger dome heel, a so so looking celluloid plastic inlays (mine came with some scratches when inspected deep in enough, will try buff out) a long deep tenon ala gibson Reissues, comes with Heritage grover type tuners.... 

For owners of both eras if you happen to own a 2019 H150 vs current H150 non Custom core... 

Which actually has an overall better quality and tone ? Feels , weights , Plays and sounds quality ? 

Thank you....

Tone difference in neck thickness?  I doubt it, comfort and playability?  Yes, all subjective to the user though.  I don't like thinner necks myself, but its a preference thing.

If you wanted a thinner neck look for just about anything from 1985 through 2010.  Only custom orders had fat necks.  All were really fast, slim necks, the shape ranged from a flat D-Shape in the 80's into the 90's and gradually became C Shaped..

The Custom Core will have more consistency in quality weight (part of the appeal of the CC lineup).

I believe the standard lineup are fine instruments that feel great, sound fantastic, and are all-around professional guitars.

Archived