Heritage Owners Club

replacement parts?

ThinkAgain

For a seriously cracked neck, I'd recommend sending your instrument back to the factory for a look.  I know, you may not see it again for a long time.  :'(

Hopefully you have a back-up guitar.  If it were mine, I'd send it back.  They know all of the secrets for getting it to look and play great once again. 

If the crack is only superficial, then most any skilled luthier should be able to handle the repair.

Maybe if you post a picture or two of the damage we can offer more specific recommendations.

Good luck and welcome to the Heritage Owners Club!

Is the factory still open? I read somewhere it had closed recently.

I am taking the guitar down to my local shop to see what they say. They have done fixes for this kind of thing for lots of people. Still, here are some pictures of the problem.

width=600 height=450http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/SafetyDan/crackedneck003.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=450http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/SafetyDan/crackedneck004.jpg[/img]

Think... :

Not even gonna ask how that happened!  That is, I think, eminently repairable by a good luthier.  I've seen some amazing work done on neck injuries.  I had a '52 LP which had the head completely snapped off (not my doing).  The right guy had patiently and correctly dowled, glued, and refinished it, and, aside from minor cosmetics, the guitar played as new and was stable...no issues.  

Hope that guitar means enough to you that you want it fixed correctly and then feel good about playing it.  I think the big thing is just to get over the fact it was ever broken.  Yeah, it'll never be pristine, but the real point of a guitar is what you do with it rather than what you did to it.  Fix it; spank it with gusto!!

I think Gitfiddler's advice to send it back to Parsons Street is the thing to do!    

I did take it to a heritage dealer. He's been around forever and said he's seen and fixed much worse so I'm confident it'll come out just fine. I'm just hearing horror stories about orders taking forever to come back from the warehouse so I was kinda weary about sending the guitar to MI with all thats going on.

Hi ThinkAgain, You have received a lot of good advice already, but here's my 3 cents worth. That crack, because of its orientation, should definitely be fixable from a structural point of view. You will see there is much discussion about the recent Heritage factory closure on this site. The fact is that Heritage - fine company that it is - has a large backlog and sending it there could indeed - as you have rightly observed - mean that your guitar will be "away from you" for a long time. I actually think any good guitar repairman/luthier can fix this for you. You should ask the local shop if they have done such repairs in the past, and if you could possibly see their previous work or get a reference (ie satisfied customer). The key to the repair is not actually the gluing (which is easy for anyone to do) but how expertly the finish can be restored over the repair. You might even try to contact Dan Erlewine at StewMac (Guitar Shop Supply) for an opinion and/or estimate. I wish you luck, and hopefully you can also have a Merry Christmas!  :)

Archived