Heritage Owners Club

a cabinet question

Scooter

Hey, guys.  I have a Gallien Krueger ML250.  Most of the time I play quietly for familial reasons.  The fact that this amp has a headphones jack is a great plus, too, especially when playing late at night; it's amazing how even low sounds carry through our house when all is quiet at night!  HOWEVER, there are times when I can get the chance to turn it up a bit.  This little amp sounds good to me, but I do crave a "fuller" sound.  So I've started to consider getting my little GK a friend of the cabinet kind to play with. 

For starters this is probably mostly going to be for my home enjoyment.  Second, I really like the fuller sound of a 2x12.  I don't know much about cabinets.  It's pretty overwhelming when there are so many choices. 

So my question to you is what is a nice cabinet to run an amp through (even if it means speaker upgrades)?  If I'm gonna drop the cash at all I want to buy something of quality, and used if I can find it. 

Thanks

Mars and Thunder, thanks.  Those are good suggestions. 

Looking into putting my own speaker together might make a fun project. 

I checked out the Avatar site.  Very cool.  They have a Sratch n' Dent selection, too.  Excellent.  You know, I started looking at Marshall cabs recently, but to a great extent your probably paying for the name in regard to the cabs, especially.  Don't get me wrong, the good Marshall Amps I love.  Seems to me that buying a solid cab from, say Avatar, or someone that can put a decent cab together for cheaper is the way to go.  And you can always switch your speakers out if you want.  Avatar did have some scratch 'n dent cabs w/ vintage 30s for a reasonable cost.  Thanks again Thundersteel.

Also, I noticed on Avatar's site that some cabs have more than one type of speaker (in the same cab).  I remember someone on the HOC mentioned that they have a cab with two different speakers in it and love the affect.  Anyone tried that?  Be interesting to hear about it a little more.

I have a 2X12 VHT Fat Bottom Cab that has no speakers.  I have had it for 10 years it is in pretty good. I have been thinking of putting it Craig's List because it is not being used.  It is somewhat portable, to bad you live up Chicago. 

Scooter:  Didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but you'll want to think open versus closed back.  Makes a big difference in the sound!  I have a friend who does all of Greg Germino's cabinet work, and restores a lot of really weird vintage stuff from around the country.  He has his own line, although he doesn't advertise...doesn't have to.  He builds a wonderful little 1x12, closed back cab, very portable, sounds great, usually loaded with some flavor of Eminence.  I hope to have one in tow for PSPII.  

Scooter:  Didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but you'll want to think open versus closed back.  Makes a big difference in the sound!  I have a friend who does all of Greg Germino's cabinet work, and restores a lot of really weird vintage stuff from around the country.  He has his own line, although he doesn't advertise...doesn't have to.  He builds a wonderful little 1x12, closed back cab, very portable, sounds great, usually loaded with some flavor of Eminence.  I hope to have one in tow for PSPII.  

Yoslate, how do open and closed backs differ sound-wise?  Are there pros and cons to both?  And is this only regarding cabs or combos also (just curious).  Also, do you have any contact info for Greg Germino--maybe a phone number or email address?  I feel like the annoying kid asking way too many questions!  :laughing3: Thanks, Yoslate!

Thanks for the thought, Tex, regarding the Fat Bottom.  I'm a little ways off in making this purchase.  It's waiting on something I have to sell, first.  Ah, Texas.  Some of my greatest memories are of visiting a Great Great Aunt who lived down in Corpus Christi.  Always loved going down there.

Avatar does make great cabinets and certainly wins the best-bang-for-the-buck award, but...  That being said my favorite 2x12 is the Dr. Z Z best 2x12 followed closely by the THD 2x12. I've owned at one point or another:

Dr. Z Z best 2x12

THD 2x12

Jenkins Highway 61

Mesa vertical recto 2x12

Mesa horizontal recto 2x12

Marshall 1966 2x12 slant

Avatar oversize 2x12 (I can't remember the model but it was nearly as big as a 4x12).

I still own the Dr. Z. It was just my favorite of the bunch, though I do want to try the THD with a pair of Alnico blues...

I remember someone on the HOC mentioned that they have a cab with two different speakers in it and love the affect.  Anyone tried that?

I've got an Avatar 2X12, with a WGS Veteran 30 speaker (a copy of the Celestion V30) along with a WGS British Lead speaker (a copy of the Celestion Lead) installed.  I can hear subtle nuances of each speaker separately--not too harsh, and not too bassy.

I am a fan of GK bass amps.

Me too! I've got an RB700II, along with a G-K 1x15 cab and a G-K 2x12 cab for my bass rig. It really booms!

I've got an Avatar 2X12, with a WGS Veteran 30 speaker (a copy of the Celestion V30) along with a WGS British Lead speaker (a copy of the Celestion Lead) installed.  I can hear subtle nuances of each speaker separately--not too harsh, and not too bassy.

Me too! I've got an RB700II, along with a G-K 1x15 cab and a G-K 2x12 cab for my bass rig. It really booms!

I had that head with the 4x12. Had to sell her off though. :(

I want to get the 700RB combo with the 2x10s for the electric upright and fretless electric bass guitar. That is in the plans. :D

I also plan on selling off the Ibanez RS840 fretless in favor of a G&L fretless.

I want to get the 700RB combo with the 2x10s for the electric upright and fretless electric bass guitar. That is in the plans.

The best place I've found to get G-K stuff is RMC Audio. They have the lowest prices, and outstanding customer service.

Yoslate, how do open and closed backs differ sound-wise?  Are there pros and cons to both?  And is this only regarding cabs or combos also (just curious).  Also, do you have any contact info for Greg Germino--maybe a phone number or email address?  I feel like the annoying kid asking way too many questions!   :laughing3: Thanks, Yoslate!

Scooter:

I'm sure there are plenty of guys who'd like to weigh in on the question of how the sound of open versus closed back cabs presents itself to be perceived, and better than I might.  What's at the heart of it is the "geography" of that moving air, contained in the closed back cab, both coming straight off the cone, and the air coming off the back of the cone, working its way to the front, and out.  That, as opposed to the open back cab, which sends the moving air off the cone, straight out the front, as well as what can escape out the back of the open cab, and how that moves around the room or the stage before getting to any one set of ears or a mic.  

I think the closed back cabs have a slightly darker, more focused sound, which emphasizes the lower end of a given speaker's response.  Open back, I think more of just that...an open, airy, brighter sound that's less focused and more ambient.  Of course there are always variables such as speakers, single-coil versus humbucking p'ups, solid versus hollow-body, speaker type, etc. into the equation.  I'm speaking to generalities.  When we record Bob Margolin live, I always mic his open back Victoria combo from behind, as well as from the front.  The air's just moving differently from the back of the amp.  If I'm playing a big enough room, or just want "everything," I'll use my Vibrolux (open back combo) with a 4x10 Marshall cab (closed back), mic-ed in a variety of ways.  In a brighter room, I might run the amp through just the Marshall; low ceiling, darker, booming, raised stage, just the Vibro.  Pro's and con's?  More like subjective preference in both live and recording situations.  

Germino's web address is:  www.germinoamps.com

Yoslate, thanks so much for all the info and tip on the Germino's.  Went to their site and checked it out.  Downloaded some sounds.  Sweetness.  Very nice, indeed.  Karma-lization commencing---> +1

Thundersteel, again, I'd never heard of Avatar.  They look like a good bang for the buck, as guitarman said.  That's going to be a serious contender for me.  Thank you! 

HI-YA!  +1

I love this place!!!

Slider~ Man, you are my amp god!  That Peter Mather is unreal!  :notworthy:

What a great collection!

Like others here, I've read great things about Avatar Cabs.

It might also be worthwhile to check out Carvin and Mesa Boogie.  I have ext. cabs from them that I bought used, and have not been disappointed in the sound.  Boogies are a bit more expensive, but very high quality boxes and speakers.

Check Ebay for used speaker cabs. 

Slider, that Mather site is very cool. 

Yoslate, I am falling in love with the Germinos.  There is another part to my wanting to get a nice cab.  Eventually down the road I'd love to get a nice head to compliment it.  I really like the marshall JVM205H 50 watt head.  But the Germinos have a real sweet tone to them that I especially like.  Maybe someday it will be Ger-mine-o.  Thanks again for the great tip!  I think I'm getting a case of A.A.S..  That just does not sound good.

Dave at Avatar is a good guy.  His 2x12 cabs mimic other popular models - Fender, Orange and Bogner.  He sells Celestions at real good prices.  He sells his own Hellatone (Celestion) speakers that have been broken in.  He also has fleabay auctions where you can find discounted sets.

I'm still in the experimental phase of speakers and don't have any cabs with the same pair or quad loaded.  The friendliest set I've found are the Ceramic and alnico Tone Tubby speakers.  I'm still trying to hit that hot spot with Celestions (Blue + Greenback or Gold +V30/G12H30) but haven't found it - yet.  The final piece I will add to my puzzle are the Jensen Blackbirds; I haven't got there, again, yet.

I don't know if I'll try them but I just stumbled across WarehouseSpeakers.com.  They appear to be discounted knockoffs of Celestions.  Although Heritage shattered my stant position, I'm a believer of the "you get what you pay for" club.

yoslate spoke of a music store with a wall of speakers.  Next time I get to the outer banks, I'll head there first!  

The factors I search for are the abundance or lack of Hi, Mids and lows to taste and then assess how friendly they present your playing.  It's all good!

Steiner, what kind of music do you play?  If you find a nice speaker combination someday share it with us.  It sounds like a cool concept to experiment with, although it could get expensive.  It's nice to have a forum here to share info and experience.

Why Scooter, I play Both kinds...  Country AND Western!  ;D

I'm a child of the 70's rock.  My older brothers helped me dig into the 60's; by the time the 80's rolled around I'd pretty much given up on new music.  I still find gems under the road-apples from 80's through '09 music but feel comfortable and happy in the 70's.

I have 2 Avatar closed-back, Vintage cabs to try out different configurations.  I use a loop station to keep the guitar consistent and a Radial cab switcher to A/B.  It's nice to have all this junk to "scientifically" test but tone is so subjective and speakers behave differently at different volumes and again with different amps.  They change after they're broken-in too.  :tard:

There are some speakers I simply don't care for but can ID them almost immediately.  I lean toward AlNiCos but they sometimes are lacking.  That's why I mix 'em up with ceramics.  I mix up the ceramics too based on their dominate frequency spike.  I like dark speakers but cannot handle a cab full of them.  One must season to taste.

It's a fun road; expensive and usually leads to the same place - what are you happy with?! >:D

Enjoy!

Why Scooter, I play Both kinds...  Country AND Western!  ;D

I'm a child of the 70's rock.  My older brothers helped me dig into the 60's; by the time the 80's rolled around I'd pretty much given up on new music.  I still find gems under the road-apples from 80's through '09 music but feel comfortable and happy in the 70's.

It's a fun road; expensive and usually leads to the same place - what are you happy with?! >:D

Steiner, although I like a few styles of music I'm like you.  First place in my heart is 70's rock along with the "gems that can be found under the road apples of the 80's through now" (well-put! :laughing8:). 

This post and a previous one on looking for an amp to love have been extremely helpful to me.  I've recieved good suggestions and places to look 'n listen.  It's helped narrow down what I want in one sense and opened a whole new world in another.  I'll let you know when I lock on to my target(s) and pull the trigger. 

Guitar-wise, as well, just reading the many posts and asking questions of my own have helped me to lock on to the guitars I want to get.

I am psyched to get my first Heritage.

Thanks for the feedback!

but I just stumbled across WarehouseSpeakers.com.

That's what I have in my Avatar 2x12 cab. They are assembled in the US, and AFAIK, are made from the same components as the Celestions. I think they sound pretty good.

So, as far as I am understanding cabinets so far it's just basically 3 elements:

1) the cabinet structure and what wood and materials make that up

2) the speakers

3) open or closed back. 

So this leads me to the question: If two different companies---let's say Avatar and Genz-Benz---make a 2x12 cabinet that is made of good quality materials, same speakers and same back (open or closed) do the cabinets have any different affect on sound/tone?  Or does the personality of a given head come out pretty much the same in both?  I guess, in other words, do cabinets have a personality that affects any given head to some extent (if different cabs of similar quality and structure are being used)? 

Archived