Heritage Owners Club

Neck profiles

DC Ron

Took some quick measurements on the 150 and Roy Clark to verify the "slim neck" rumor on the Roy. Measurements taken from back of neck to top of fretboard (not fret) +/- 1/32 or so. Here's what I came up with:

150: 1st fret = 7/8", 12th fret = 15/16"

RC: 1st fret = 25/32", 12th fret = 7/8"

They really do feel very different, especially when you play one after the other. Overall, the Roy feels faster, the 150 really lets you dig into bends, hammer ons, etc. At least that's how it FEELS. The Roy reminds me of a Howard Roberts Fusion that I used to own...the fingers kind of dance over the frets.

Don't know that these are standard measurements, or how they compare to other Heritage profiles...

I don't have the tools to do any measuring. But I can say that when I had the Millie NFH made I sent Marv a baseball bat and told him to just cut it lengthways down the middle. Yeah, baby!!! :)

I don't have the tools to do any measuring. But I can say that when I had the Millie NFH made I sent Marv a baseball bat and told him to just cut it lengthways down the middle. Yeah, baby!!! :o

+1 Fat Rules!!!

of my three, I love the neck on the stat dlx the best.

1, It's 1 11/16th wide

2, starts out slim and ends up fatter

3, The perfect c shape and a 12" radius

my millie has a super fast slimmmmmm neck but the 1 5/8 nut is hard on my fat fingers...

my 575 has a chuncky/ accoustic style neck that I also just love, but for that type git, ie would not like it on a 150 ..

just my .02$

+1 Fat Rules!!!

Double edge sword there, John. :occasion16:

BTW, I've just never gotten the reference that a slim neck = fast neck. Someone care to explain? I thought technique and skill = ability to play fast or slow. :occasion15:

Double edge sword there, John. :occasion16:

BTW, I've just never gotten the reference that a slim neck = fast neck. Someone care to explain? I thought technique and skill = ability to play fast or slow. :occasion15:

For me, I have several reasons for liking the 50s style neck..

1. Fat necks = more wood = more tone & sustain (this has been stated from Ren & Marv to Terry McInturff)

2. Fat necks allow you to dig in and give you a firm base for bends

3. Fat necks don't give me hand cramps like slimmer necks do

4. Finally I am not really concerned about speed that much (and I'm with you Kenny, I don't think speed = slim neck) so the above dominate my decisions on necks

For me, I have several reasons for liking the 50s style neck..

1. Fat necks = more wood = more tone & sustain (this has been stated from Ren & Marv to Terry McInturff)

2. Fat necks allow you to dig in and give you a firm base for bends

3. Fat necks don't give me hand cramps like slimmer necks do

4. Finally I am not really concerned about speed that much (and I'm with you Kenny, I don't think speed = slim neck) so the above dominate my decisions on necks

+1 Fat necks are easier to play. IMHO they anchor the thumb and hand allowing the fingers to move freely across the fretboard. The H150 for sale at Rudy's has a fat neck. See post on the For Sale page.

I just did some measuring myself for a custom Tele order and here are the measurements of my 3 favorite necks of the guitars I own.

PRS Al Dimeola Model 1st fret 27/32" 12th fret 15/16"

150 GT Humbuckers 1st 7/8" 12th 1"

Tele 63 RI Cust Shop 1st 13/16" 12th 29/32"

Archived