Heritage Owners Club

Roy Clark and Joe Pass

DC Ron

Here's one I had not noticed. Roy on his signature Heritage model (plus armrest) with Joe Pass on his 175. Very cool except for the talking over the playing. Love the way Joe goes from pick to fingers to thumb and back several times. Very cool. Did I say that?

Maybe I'm the odd man out here. Or I just lack a certain savoir fare. But while Roy was pickin' a melody that I could follow I was really groovin' on that jam. Especially when JP had to pick his nose and played the walking chord line without picking his guitar or strumming. But once they left the normal plane of existence, they lost me. It just became a conconphony of jazz runs, seemingly without context. In my simple mind, anyway. Perhaps that is why the finer points of Jazz are lost on me.

Maybe I'm the odd man out here. Or I just lack a certain savoir fare. But while Roy was pickin' a melody that I could follow I was really groovin' on that jam. Especially when JP had to pick his nose and played the walking chord line without picking his guitar or strumming. But once they left the normal plane of existence, they lost me. It just became a conconphony of jazz runs, seemingly without context. In my simple mind, anyway. Perhaps that is why the finer points of Jazz are lost on me.

Know how you feel, the Grateful Dead have that effect on me. Always lose them at about the 5:00 mark. But I figure 50,000 Deadheads can't be wrong...:D

Archived