Heritage Owners Club

L-5C vs Golden Eagle

DC Ron

That made for interesting reading. Did you see the post just after where the writer said that he has made the wrong comparison and said it should have been with an L4?

My friend owns an L5 and I personally find it too big for me to play it comfortably, I prefer his 575 and could play that all day.

That made for interesting reading. Did you see the post just after where the writer said that he has made the wrong comparison and said it should have been with an L4?

My friend owns an L5 and I personally find it too big for me to play it comfortably, I prefer his 575 and could play that all day.

Interesting indeed. I don't necessarily agree with the reviewer that the L-4 (16") is a better comparison to the GE (17"). Of course my favorite size is the Super Eagle (18") so don't listen to me... B)

Interesting indeed. I don't necessarily agree with the reviewer that the L-4 (16") is a better comparison to the GE (17"). Of course my favorite size is the Super Eagle (18") so don't listen to me... B)

I would need a serious rise in income before I got a super eagle! You never know though, one day it might happen! I would like a 575 though, perhaps with block inlays.

The same friend who owns the L4 also has an L4, and from what I understand, it is way smaller than the golden eagle, more or less a 175?

I would need a serious rise in income before I got a super eagle! You never know though, one day it might happen! I would like a 575 though, perhaps with block inlays.

The same friend who owns the L4 also has an L4, and from what I understand, it is way smaller than the golden eagle, more or less a 175?

Watch this guy on a 575!

I played an L-5 for 20+ years, and have since owned a Sweet 16 and Super Eagle before settling in on my current Golden Eagle. I had a new pickguard with tone control installed, put on a bone nut, and had Kent Armstrong rip the guts out of my #3 pickup and retrofit his PAF into the Heritage housing, and it's now a wonderful guitar, and every bit as good as the L5.

I played an L-5 for 20+ years, and have since owned a Sweet 16 and Super Eagle before settling in on my current Golden Eagle. I had a new pickguard with tone control installed, put on a bone nut, and had Kent Armstrong rip the guts out of my #3 pickup and retrofit his PAF into the Heritage housing, and it's now a wonderful guitar, and every bit as good as the L5.

I did the same mod/upgrade to my Golden Eagle. The Armstrong PAF woke up an already fine instrument.

As for the comparison made by the reviewer, he did a pretty good job, but failed to mention that the Bartolini pickup was an after market add on. He criticized its installation as if it came from Heritage that way. And I never could see the so called 'nit' in the GE binding. I think he was trying to justify why the Gibson was in some way superior by taking a magnifying glass to the much older Heritage. If that's what it takes to give one top of the line, hand made guitar the edge over another, then it is obvious where the reviewer's head was. I got the feeling he was surprised that he was impressed with the GE.

Having played an L5 CES back to back with a Golden Eagle, I view them as very similar, yet different. Heritage took early designs and tweaked them for their business model. Slightly thinner bodied archtops with thicker tops, and custom upgrades, etc. Those who compare Gibson to Heritage seem to always neglect the 'custom shop' aspect of Heritage. That to me puts Heritage on top!!

Every hand made upper end archtop is going to have certain features as well as tone that will differ from instrument to instrument...no matter who the builder is. It all boils down to personal preference in my opinion...with no winners or losers.

He criticized its installation as if it came from Heritage that way. And I never could see the so called 'nit' in the GE binding. I think he was trying to justify why the Gibson was in some way superior by taking a magnifying glass to the much older Heritage.

I noticed that, too. I couldn't see ANY "nit" on the Heritage, but there were a LOT of "nits" on the Gibby binding. Some people you just can't reach...

I frequent both the forums RandyC posted on (playjazzguitar.com and jazzguitar.be), where I've been extolling people to check out Heritage's for years. Randy has been a Gibson advocate for some time, and has taken offense at my past suggestions Heritage is the "real Gibson". So, I was glad to see him take the plunge and try out the GE and 575.

Here's a compiled response I provided to all of his various reviews, meant more as a clarification than a rebuttal to anything:

http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guitar-amps...ge-reviews.html

FYI- used Super Eagles aren't that pricey, but very rare since most of plan to take ours to the grave!

I frequent both the forums RandyC posted on (playjazzguitar.com and jazzguitar.be), where I've been extolling people to check out Heritage's for years. Randy has been a Gibson advocate for some time, and has taken offense at my past suggestions Heritage is the "real Gibson". So, I was glad to see him take the plunge and try out the GE and 575.

Here's a compiled response I provided to all of his various reviews, meant more as a clarification than a rebuttal to anything:

FYI- used Super Eagles aren't that pricey, but very rare since most of plan to take ours to the grave!

Exceptionally well done response. Managed to give great detail and not leave the reader glazed over.

Hi Ingeneri,

That summary of yours was very interesting. Thanks. Do you have an opinion on the Heritage Super Kenny Burrell, like how it might compare to a Golden Eagle, or Super Eagle?

Thanks again,

Greg

How Cool....

It's nice to see the HOC members out there spreading the word, and in a concise and civilized tone that speaks well for us....

and (off-topic ) I bet that Singapore is quite interesting..

Archived