Heritage Owners Club

Flatwound Strings

VintagePerson

I have a Sweet 16. I bought it used. At the time I bought it (last year) I strung it with Gibson flatwound strings (12's). Knowing I'd need strings sooner or later, I bought a set of D'Addario CHromes flatwound 12's. I don't like them at all. The D'Addarios sound lifeless compared to the Gibson's, and the D'Addarios break a lot. I closely evaluated the guitar for causes of breakage, but found everything from seat to string post in perfect working order (including the saddles).

I know string preference is a personal and subjective thing, but any suggestions or comments regarding likes or dislikes for flatwounds would be greatly appreciated. I play jazz on the 16.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hi, I use Roberts flatwounds on my 516 after hearing them on a friend's Ibanez GB200. They suit me but, as you say, it's a subjective thing. Good luck with your quest!

Welcome to the club! I've used them all and have settled on thomastik infeld. More expensive but worth it. Never had the breakage problem you describe with D'Addario chromes though. Makes me think something else is up. As you note, strings are a journey, so try em out (cheapest thing you can do to change your guitar) and good luck!

Welcome to the club! I've used them all and have settled on thomastik infeld. More expensive but worth it. Never had the breakage problem you describe with D'Addario chromes though. Makes me think something else is up. As you note, strings are a journey, so try em out (cheapest thing you can do to change your guitar) and good luck!

BINGO!!!

The best jazz strings made. I use Thomastik Infields George Benson round wounds on my 575.

Here is a link to the site I use to buy them at....

http://www.juststrings.com/thomastikinfeld...itarbenson.html

I also use Thomastik Infields strings - Jazz Swing flat wound and round wound, which are exactly the same as the George Benson Jazz strings. Henry Johnson introduced George Benson to Thomastik Infeld strings.

This is a great topic. I put D Addario XL strings on the 535 I just bought and it completely changed the sound. don't really like the strings. Any other recommendations on a lighter gauge? something a little easier to bend..

This is a great topic. I put D Addario XL strings on the 535 I just bought and it completely changed the sound. don't really like the strings. Any other recommendations on a lighter gauge? something a little easier to bend..

Try Thomastik Infields strings....Jazz Swing Series - flat wound 0.11 - 0.47 or 0.10 - 0.44. Thomastik Infields flat wound 0.11 - 0.47 would roughly be equivalent to round wound 10s produced by other companies.

Thanks to all who responded. I guess at this point I'll buy a cheap set like GHS and a costly set like the Thomastiks and see if the costly set is worth the extra $$$. I know the breakage problem is not the guitar. No breakage with other brands, and I tech my own guitars so I'm confident that it is the D'Addarios. Perhaps I just got a bad lot. I use D'Addario 10's and 11's on all my other electrics with no problems, great tone and decent string life. I've been using D'Addarios for many years. I only use the flatwounds on the 16. I use roundwounds on the rest of the stable. I put 11's on my practice guitar to keep my fingers from wilting. When I play the 10's they feel like 9's.

VP

Another vote for the TIs. I agree that the Chromes are not so hot (never broke one) and the TIs last forever. I have TI 12 flats on a Jazzmaster and I seem to change them annually. The Fender don't get so much play anymore.... The TIs start out with a very fine burr (which I kind of like) but a few hours of play smoothes them right out.

On my Sweet 16, I am using GHS roller rounds and there seems to be variety in sound and lifespan from pack to pack. Current set has been on for a few weeks and they are still pretty lively. I like rounds on this guitar, I think the added high end makes for a very balanced sound. I can imagine that with flats it might sound a bit muted or dark, at least acoustically.

If you go to the TI flats on the 16, please give a tone report. It is a bit of an investment but I would be very interested.

thanks,

Ned

FWIW, I used to use TIs regularly on my H150s, but as our band got booked more, and I ended up needing 3 guitars for our gigs (cover band - I have to have 1 in regular tuning, 1 in regular tuning with a Stetsbar, and 1 in drop-D tuning with a Stetsbar), I couldn't justify the expense, considering what bands get paid out here. So, I tried a lot of strings, and this is what I've found:

TI - the best. No argument, just that at $10/pack (or more), that's pretty pricey, when my chunk of the take is $100/night.

R. Cocco - second best. Great stuff, I just couldn't find them anymore. I don't know if he still makes them.

Curt Mangam - the ones I use these days. Great strings, very consistant, nice tone, quality work.

DR - Good strings, but inconsistant winding, requiring intonation readjustments with just about every string change.

Ernie Ball - not the EBs I grew up with. Rough, nasty feel, but they don't sound too bad.

GHS - Crrrrrapppp. Definitely not the GHS of the 80s.

D'Addario - The only strings that I can regularly break at gigs. They sounded dead right out of the pack.

That's about all the ones I've tried within the last few years. I've been very happy with the Mangams, and he makes them in roundwound, flatwound, nickel, stainless, pretty much what everyone else does. They might be worth a shot, as they're definitely a step up from the "run-of-the-mill."

rooster.

Yea, FWIW, I use Curt Mangan Stings on my Solid & Semi-solid bodies. (Use Tomastik-Infelds on the Hollow bodies)

VERY good strings!

Another vote for the TIs. I agree that the Chromes are not so hot (never broke one) and the TIs last forever. I have TI 12 flats on a Jazzmaster and I seem to change them annually. The Fender don't get so much play anymore.... The TIs start out with a very fine burr (which I kind of like) but a few hours of play smoothes them right out.

On my Sweet 16, I am using GHS roller rounds and there seems to be variety in sound and lifespan from pack to pack. Current set has been on for a few weeks and they are still pretty lively. I like rounds on this guitar, I think the added high end makes for a very balanced sound. I can imagine that with flats it might sound a bit muted or dark, at least acoustically.

If you go to the TI flats on the 16, please give a tone report. It is a bit of an investment but I would be very interested.

thanks,

Ned

Looks like the TI's are the clear winner. I'll try a set and give a tone report. Since I only use the flats on my Sweet 16, that will be the tone I'll be reporting on.

I have a Sweet 16. I bought it used. At the time I bought it (last year) I strung it with Gibson flatwound strings (12's). Knowing I'd need strings sooner or later, I bought a set of D'Addario CHromes flatwound 12's. I don't like them at all. The D'Addarios sound lifeless compared to the Gibson's, and the D'Addarios break a lot. I closely evaluated the guitar for causes of breakage, but found everything from seat to string post in perfect working order (including the saddles).

I know string preference is a personal and subjective thing, but any suggestions or comments regarding likes or dislikes for flatwounds would be greatly appreciated. I play jazz on the 16.

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I just purchased a Sweet 16 from my brother. It came with flatwounds. They had been on the guitar for some time, but still sound OK. I replaced them yesterday with Gibson L-5 12's. I've used these strings for years in 10's on my Gibson Byrdland. They used to be known as "Sonomatics". They have a softer, fuller sound than other electric strings I've used. They are less than 1/2 the cost of Thomastik Enfield strings. (I've never used those, I'm sure they're great). I haven't plugged the guitar in yet, but acoustically, I prefer the sound to the flatwounds.

They do seem to feel "bigger" in the same gauge as the flatwounds. I was reluctant to put 11's on the instrument in fear of losing some of the acoustic tone. You can find them at Just Strings or Elderly Instruments online.

Welcome to the Heritage brethren! However, I won't be much help with your question because I use D'Addario Chromes (12s, 13s) on several guitars and have no problem with them. One other respondent commented on the fact that flatwound strings sound a little duller than roundwounds, which is perfectly true. Carved archtops, including Sweet Sixteens, often have a bright treble top-end and I find the flatwounds work perfectly in that situation. But, as others have rightly said, this is completely subjective. As for your string breakage problem, I can offer no guidance - I have never had this problem with D'Addario strings of any type, including Chromes. I hope you can find strings that work for you and don't break!!!! Best wishes.

Archived