Heritage Owners Club

Which genre should we use for HOCTOP 2?

Administrator

Which genre should we use for HOCTOP 2?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which genre should we use for HOCTOP 2?

• Blues
    • Jazz
    • Contradanza
    • Metal
    • Bluegrass
    • CuBop
    • Baroque
    • Classical
    • Flamenco
    • Rap/Hip Hop
    • Techno/House/Trance/Trip Hop
    • New Wave
    • Ska
    • Reggae
    • Nueva Trova
    • Bossa Nova/Samba/Merengue
    • Other (please include in post)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't blues the foundation for pretty much all western music since about, oh, WWI? If you can play rock, it's really just the blues. If you can play jazz, well, that's just the blues with fancy chords (invented for the sole purpose of aggravating me). If you can play bluegrass, well, that might not be the blues, but if you slow it down a little, I bet you could cover it. Country and western pulled from the blues and popular music both...but popular music was derived from, you guessed it, the blues.

There's no reason in the world anyone can't play the blues. Hell, even I can play the blues...as long as it's I-IV-V in E and Randy isn't modulating the key ever third bar while using those aforementioned fancy jazz chords so I can't tell if it's D9 or a G6add9. :D

(just kidding, Randy!)

Isn't blues the foundation for pretty much all western music since about, oh, WWI? If you can play rock, it's really just the blues. If you can play jazz, well, that's just the blues with fancy chords (invented for the sole purpose of aggravating me). If you can play bluegrass, well, that might not be the blues, but if you slow it down a little, I bet you could cover it. Country and western pulled from the blues and popular music both...but popular music was derived from, you guessed it, the blues.

There's no reason in the world anyone can't play the blues. Hell, even I can play the blues...as long as it's I-IV-V in E and Randy isn't modulating the key ever third bar while using those aforementioned fancy jazz chords so I can't tell if it's D9 or a G6add9. :D

(just kidding, Randy!)

I mean the feel of blues. Just never got much into it. Rockabilly, sure. A bit more up tempo than blues, though. I will give it a swing. Never did the rock lead thing. Just never really got much into that either.

Reserved

I think it should be in the genre that includes more HOC members.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone know where we can have a listen to the entries for HOCTOP 2?

There sees to be the occasional video but maybe I'm missing something. Going to do a video myself just doodling around with one of my own songs. The quality may not be very good because of the camera but I'm up for having a go. Remember I've only been here a week and had my H150 for just under a week. If the video is okay does anyone want to see it, if I can uplaod it?

Let me know guys

Cheers!!

Hey FredZepp, thanks for getting back to me. I have just had a listen and I think it's a great idea, it just needs more people to participate. Shame I didn't have a Heritage guitar at the time the MP3 was posted. I may download it anyway and have a go at it myself just for the hell of it. Cheers Bud!! Keep well.

• 1 month later...

First off full disclosure...

I am a blues guy at heart, with that said, It does not mean I play it well. I love the genre, and the soul required to play that style.

So yes I did vote blues, and here is why.

As a newbie here I realize it was blues last year, but heres the thing; events like this could be blues every year and with good reason (humor me).

I'm sure a lot of talented and maybe not so show up at this thing. So lets say you call it a Jazz event and everyone shows up and guess what the best jazz player is going to win. It will happen every year, but if it's a blues show, the best jazz player, metal player, country player, anyone can win that because it is such a barebones genre. We all pretty much are familiar with the genre and can put together something competitve. The question to me becomes can you play the blues convincingly. That to me is something that can be done with out being a virtuoso on the instrument.

Plus plenty of guys play the blues, and through in some Jazzy improv to boot, for a blues guy SRV was great at this.

You can look at it this way, if you had a Jazz talent contest and Robert Johnson showed up would he win? No

If you had a blues contest and Robert Johnson showed up along with 10 of the greatest Jazz players, and 50 other guys that can play, would he win? In my mind maybe, maybe not.

Just my .02

I rather dislike polls like this. Biased opinions and very few of us are multi-genre players.... Talent levels very... Just not a very nice idea in my opinion.

It was a poll trying to find a common ground so everyone could have a go. Blues won. The idea was to have a backing track and who ever wanted to could play their part over it using a Heritage guitar. Talent/ability/skill whatever is always going to vary, it was more about just hearing Heritages played by people on the HOC. I thought it was a great idea. I stole licks and ideas out of the first batch. Only added to my playing. If I knew how to post clips back then I would have made up a copy and posted it, good or bad. The feed back from others here is a good thing.

It was a poll trying to find a common ground so everyone could have a go. Blues won. The idea was to have a backing track and who ever wanted to could play their part over it using a Heritage guitar. Talent/ability/skill whatever is always going to vary, it was more about just hearing Heritages played by people on the HOC. I thought it was a great idea. I stole licks and ideas out of the first batch. Only added to my playing. If I knew how to post clips back then I would have made up a copy and posted it, good or bad. The feed back from others here is a good thing.

+1 the whole idea was to share as a community, to participate and hear everyone's interpretation. There was never to be any winners and losers, just a chance to hear others and share.

But unfortunately it has not taken off. More post on long tenons and is this better than that, than sharing hearing others (the last two sentences are just my opinion, YVMV).

• 1 month later...

I rather dislike polls like this. Biased opinions and very few of us are multi-genre players.... Talent levels very... Just not a very nice idea in my opinion.

Detroit -- last year, people of ALL levels participated, and I mean ALL. Technical skill wasn't the determining factor in deciding winner - it was also creativity.

• 4 weeks later...

But unfortunately it has not taken off. More post on long tenons and is this better than that, than sharing hearing others (the last two sentences are just my opinion, YVMV).

Unfortunate ain't the word for it. You all want to get this HOCTOP thing rolling? I have a photo album of that Admin guy in compromising situations (no need to call PETA, though; I don't think the donkey was complaining! Or maybe it was a mule. Anyone know the difference between a donkey and a mule? Not that it matters...). I think I could use it to convince him to start this back up...

Boy I hate to be the wet blanket, and I know your intentions are totally honerable, but I have participated in each and every HOCTOP and have been disappointed in the participation each time. Everyone says they will participate, but then very few are willing to follow through when the times comes. I don't think there is a lot of interest in a competition, some think they are not good enough, some think it is below there abilities, or sensabilties, or whatever other reason you want to come up with. Everyone enjoys what others do, but are not willing to put themselves under the spotlight. It is very nice of you to offer, but I think I will pass this time.

Actually, I think almost everyone passed on this one 1.5 years ago..... seeing as the concept was floated out there in Aug 2010 (start of this thread).

Archived