Heritage Owners Club
Sign in to follow this  
bluwoodsman

Another NAD --Gamble--awaiting repairs

Finally took the plunge into a dedicated acoustic amp.  

I had been leaning towards a Fishman artist or bigger but have long been intrigued by SWR California Blondes after hearing Browne/Buckingham's live sound through them. 

During full on covid sheltering some of both came up in craigslist not far from me, but by the time I had the money lined up they were gone.  But there was a California Blonde that had been for sale for a long time that I decided to take a look at despite thinking it must have some problem. 

I was right, it had issues. 

Effects circuit had some trouble and the gain nob (yep they have a gain nob) only worked in certain positions.  Might just need some cleaning as the amp owner said, but I'm not an amp tech.  However,  it was an original before they were sold, and before they replaced crossover/tweeters and speakers. 

And where it worked--yeah!  The sound I was looking for!    I brought along my super shallow paduak ovation which sounded MUCH better through the amp than unamplified.  It's hard to top the low end you get from a 12" speaker I think.  Can't wait to try my jumbo maple Eastman through it. 

Negotiated the price down to a point where if it takes a few hundred to repair I'm still happy--and I hauled the heavy SOB to an amp tech I've heard great things about.  Been a few weeks now.  Suspense is killing me. 

But you could barely move in his little place with amps stacked three high everywhere--seems he was taking in more than usual and people were not coming to pick up completed work very fast at all. 

I think I can hold out another week before calling him. 

I really like my Fender Acoustic 100 amp.  Since it has two inputs with separate effects, I can use it with both an acoustic guitar and a mic.  

Most of the time though, I connect to its Bluetooth and play backing tracks or just music from my iPhone or my iPad.

Wasn't too expensive either.

SWR's are fantastic amps, especially pre-Fender.  I've got a Strawberry Blonde, the little sister of your California Blonde.  They sound great with acoustic guitars, archtops and bass.

3 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

SWR's are fantastic amps, especially pre-Fender.  I've got a Strawberry Blonde, the little sister of your California Blonde.  They sound great with acoustic guitars, archtops and bass.

I got a close friend who uses his California Blond (pre-Fender) with a little external mixer, and has been using it like that for for years. He won't use anything else, and he's a legend around these parts! And he always sounds good.