Heritage Owners Club

Seth Lovers

JeffB

Some of you may have already read this.

Its just a review from harmony central about SD Seth Lover p/ups.

Just had a couple of foot notes that made me feel warm all over :)

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...Seth+Lover/10/1 10th review bottom of the page

Overall Rating : 10

Comments: Beautiful, but can be overly bright. My tone knobs are almost all the way off, all the way down and I lose my pinch harmonics. But the other reviews are all spot on, these are beautiful pickups for almost anything except high gain rock and metal. Maybe if they were potted, but at some point you can just go with Alnico Pro II's or Pearly Gates and avoid a custom pickup charge.

Here's the deal. I met with Seymour himself at a museum exhibit for the Duncan pickup line at the NAMM museum in Carlsbad, CA, and he got to talking about how he got the idea to look up Seth Lover and see what he was doing. Well, Seth was basically old and broke and living in a trailer park in Garden Grove, CA. Like most inventors working for a company, he didn't receive any ongoing compensation for his invention of the humbucker pickup, and after all the trading of ownership at Gibson he ended up down and out. So Seymour sat down and chewed the fat with Seth and his wife, the two pickup gurus came up the pickup that Seth would have made today, and Seymour made sure to name it the Seth Lover pickup and guarantee royalties off every sale to Seth. And now that Seth is no longer with us, (imagine who he's sitting with up there) his wife benefits. I don't see anyone else doing anything like this, other than Robert Keeley donating proceeds from some of his e-bay sales to Katrina victims and other charities. Seymour has never tried to profit from this, but I feel something needs to be said. Seth Lover is a hero to anyone that plays humbuckers, and Gibson never went out of their way to provide for his retirement. Hats off to Seymour, and people like Keeley, that go beyond the call to do more. When I play my Seth Lovers, and I've got more than this axe has, I feel a close connection to the beginning of all this. God bless.

And as far as Gibson goes, buy a Heritage. They kept the original tooling when Gibson went to Nashville, the best luthiers stayed put and bought the stuff, if you want the real deal spend your money on the originals. Not the &%^$ they're putting out now. And ask for Seth Lovers.

Actually sounds like one of you die hards may have written this :)

To be honest, my wife's 157 has Seth's in it. They sound much warmer and articulate than the Schallers that came in it stock.

If the story above is true, it would not shock me. We have met Seymor a few times, and he's a good guy.

Kudos to Mr.Duncan. He gives credit where it's due. If it were not for Seth Lover "pickup gurus" winding their own version of the PAF wouldn't exist. Seymour and Larry Dimarzio were two of the early "custom" pickup designers taking Seths' design and making some changes to call it their own. Seymour went full circle and IMHO the Seth Lover is the closest thing to a PAF; antiquities are SL's aged to look like the real deal.

I don't see anyone else doing anything like this, other than Robert Keeley donating proceeds from some of his e-bay sales to Katrina victims and other charities.

While I agree with everything (or nearly everything else) the guy said I have to take exception to that statement and tell the guy to get his head out of the sand.  There have been tons of builders/retailers/etc. who have raised money for various charities and/or noble causes. Take a look at the recent rally around effects guru Bob Sweet and his battle with cander (which sadly went un-noticed here at HOC) for an example.  There were several, if not dozens of builders who donated money to the Katrina victims.

Archived